Has anyone bead blasted their wheel assemblies?

jimed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to soda, glass bead, media blast my front and rear wheel assemblies and wonder has anyone tried this and which type is best. I don't want to respoke my wheels and am looking for a satin or brushed look for my rims, spokes, and hubs. I have new wheel bearings I was going to install anyway so that isn't a problem. Any guidance in this matter would be welcomed.

we have sand blasted lower fork tubes and some covers but no rims sorry,the tubes and other small parts turned out good though.welcome to the site.

- what about vapour blasting - ive never tried it but have heard some good things about it...these blokes are in the UK but there is some info on the site...not so good for your spokes though i see

tsr vapourblasting

KevC, I have that link bookmarked though I never tired it.

inxs, Why do you need to remove the clear lacquer first? Won't the abrasive do that for you?

Jimed, Welcome to the site!

- depends...if youre using sand, sure...but with media-like walnut, or soda or vapour there isnt the same ammount of abrasiveness so youre likely to get an uneven finish...or so it has been explained to me by an industry operater

Any aggressive abrasive will do in the cad plating on the spokes. If they are already rusty they will rust again.
I took my wheels apart and getting the clear coat off the aluminum rims was a chore. I used lacquer thinner. Nasty...

if you dont take the laquer off, it acts like masking tape.
Eventually, the media will remove it, but the unprotected areas, around it(scratches, nicks) will have had more exposure.

Back