have hammer, will beat crap.

Square Circle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well.. i tend to get impatient with simple stuff.. and that gets expensive. I just replaced my rear wheel bearings and started to reasemble the wheel.. How far in do the dang seals go ?? Should there be a space between the inner rubber seal and the bearing??? duh .. i guess so.. looks like i beat the dang seals in too far they're concaved now .. why?? cause i'm foolish like that .. So now what? Will these still be okay? or am going to have to replace with yet another set of new seals ?
I have since figured out that dealership service depts hate the DIY guy. Just left there after getting a tire mounted, I had a few questions about the seals, and all i got was this...( ) and out of pocket of this $ .. very helpful folks. ....not. lol.
wheres the love? haha.

Attachments

• SAM_0368.jpg
    SAM_0368.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 76
  • SAM_0367.jpg
    SAM_0367.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_0366.jpg
    SAM_0366.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_0365.jpg
    SAM_0365.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 60
The hammer wins everytime. With delicate stuff like that you need soft hands, just need to know when to let off. Like Roy said if the bearings are spinning, you're good.

:)the bearings still freely, feel smooth, but are the seals crushed in too far? and is it going to be an issue? was i supposed to put grease in there?:shrug::banghead:

Ok, I know I'm the new kid on the block and all, but why didn't the bearings and spacers stop the seal from going in that far? It should be flush with the face of the hub, no? Isn't there a shoulder inside the hub to stop the bearing?

Uncle Bryan, love your avitar! That's ME in 1956! Welcome to the forum!

Square Circle, just make sure that the spacer that fits into that seal is clean/polished/greased where it rides in that seal, you should be fine...

Now that I look at the shop drawings again, I can see why there could be, (and why there should be?), a gap between the outer bearing race and the outer seal frame.
But I think if the inner lip of the seal cant get up on the collars, its just gonna get pinched in the inner spacers and tear up the seals. Or maybe even the hub?
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just sneak back to my corner and lurk some more. :shrug:

Back