Have you titled a non titled a bike

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of threads asking/discussing how to get a title. Not one of them has posted an answer from the person who asked in the first place.

Of all the people who have gone down this route has anyone actually got it done and if they have could they post their results here. Would be good to hear from people who have done this and not a lot of "I think's" :)

Yes. In california and texas.

In california I had a bill of sale and nothing else. I went back to the DMV over and over until one day the DMV guy just did some kind of crazy magic and printed me a title with my current bike's engine and frame serial numbers on it. Probably a one time thing.

(You did ask!)

In texas it's much more straightforward. You take a bill of sale on a specific form and go to either a bonded title helper place (they charge 25 bucks but they do the legwork) and you get a bonded title. Costs around 150-200 bucks depending on value.

I have not personally done this, but my buddy dogbunny has.

yeah. From a place in Vegas, who for about $100 sent me an Alabama title. Basically they had me "sell" them the bike for like $1, and they gave me back a title signed over, so I could walk into my local (Florida) DMV. The biggest PITA's were getting the $1 sale notarized, and then too I had to have the VIN confirmed by a very friendly police officer who actually came to my house to do it.
So I now have it titled! I also, in the interim have FOUND the orig title, which I never had put over into my name.
Still gotta get it registered for the street. No inspections here in FL, so I'm hoping that part goes easy again, and they don't want to SEE the bike, etc.
:)
Sorry I can't recall the name of the co.

I believe wacobrian has done it a bunch of times. He offered to give me advice on titling in TX when I was looking for XS's

In Arizona for a Bonded Title,
1. you bring the bike/frame in to ADOT get it inspected. If it passes you proceed to step 2.You get a checklist with a with a couple possibilities.
2a. You get a form/checklist and the name&addy of the last registered owner. You mail the last registered owner a registered letter asking him to sign the power of atturney or send the signed title back to you. If the letter returns to you unopened, take it back to ADOT, unopened, with a bond for the bike purchased at a Bond agency and you will get a bonded title.
2b. If the LRO sends back the signed title or POA you get a regular title.

In Arizona for a Bonded Title,
1. you bring the bike/frame in to ADOT get it inspected. If it passes you proceed to step 2.You get a checklist with a with a couple possibilities.
2a. You get a form/checklist and the name&addy of the last registered owner. You mail the last registered owner a registered letter asking him to sign the power of atturney or send the signed title back to you. If the letter returns to you unopened, take it back to ADOT, unopened, with a bond for the bike purchased at a Bond agency and you will get a bonded title.
2b. If the LRO sends back the signed title or POA you get a regular title.

From what I'm told by a friend on mine who is a used dealer:
This is similar to KS but the inspection is the last thing if it is already a KS bike. Just have a power of attorney signed the last owner in KS and send to the docking office. It's a $16 charge. Then you can get a title in your name.

In Alberta it's $450 and a visit from a friendly police officer. In Ontario you just need a notorized letter with all the facts signed and sealed.

I'm in the process of doing this in UT. It's a few pages of paperwork, a VIN inspection by a police officer or safety inspector, and a nominal fee. They make sure it hasn't been stolen and they're getting the appropriate sales tax, but otherwise it isn't too bad of a hassle.

I had to do it in CA with my XS just last month. It wasn't in the system and just needed a cursory inspection at the DMV and then registered all legal. The DMV inspector checked the VIN's on the frame and motor, barely looked at the EPA sticker and I was done.

Took about 40 minutes total.

I was told by a woman behind the counter at my local DMV that in this state "to get a title you have to have a title."

If you have a title from another state, a straight up title with no issues, you can use that title to get a title in this state. Getting an in-state title for your out of state car is done every day.

The last thing I heard about the companies that provide you with a title from some other state was that they now require some kind of paperwork that says the vehicle has been inspected.

In my state there are no vehicle inspections at all except the one in the middle of the process of getting an in-state title using an out of state title. That process begins with presenting the inspector with the out of state title. Therefore you have a catch-22 in my state.

I can see how you might be able to go through two states instead of one and end up getting titled in this state that way. A big headache unless there's a one-stop shop for it. And maybe dubious legality even then, I don't know. That would depend on what you have to swear to over your signatures...

But in other states, apparently there's nothing to it. I think I remember Travis saying he got a title through some title company. States legislatures pass their own laws. So there might be 50 different correct answers and 49 wrong ones.

Last edited:
In Texas here:
4 years ago I used ITS-Title Service out of Vegas to Register a 77XS750-2D. Cost was $165 and came with plates(Maine) for 1 year. I then had to transfer it to a Texas Title, to which they charged me $80 for an out of state title transfer + Plates, registration and Taxes which came to $145 If I remember correctly.

I bought my 83XS650 with a screwed up title from a widow who left me hanging for 6months. So, Last month I checked for my XS650 and they(ITS) wanted $275 and there was some additional paperwork including an inspection that had to be done. I opted to get a bonded title for it. Went to the DMV and got a Statement of Fact / Rejection Letter for $2.00. Took it to the Bonding agency and they issued a bond for $125. Took it to the county courthouse to get it registered. Cost was $325 with plates, as they couldn't find the SPV for it and I had to pay taxes on 80% of the $4000 bond($187)... Or I could have went and paid to have it appraised for $120 and then paid taxes on the appraised amount(kind of a wash there). Bond stays on the title for 3 years. Title is negotiable.

my wife bought me a xs650 as a surprise, NO TITLE. my bill of sale looked like this.

sold one Yamaha650 1974 for $175. vin #XXXXXXXXX on jan.1 2010. and then he signed it.

it was in hand writing on a scrape piece of paper.

went into the DMV, showed the lady the bill of sale, she typed some shit into the computer, wrote down a reference # and told me to come back in two hours. two hours later i came back, got the same lady, she said everything came back fine. gave me a temp title. two weeks later my real title came in the mail.

cost me $27.50
i live in michigan

but i need to mention, i have an excop friend turned private detective run the vin and it came back clear (not stolen, or owned by insurance agency or red flagged or whatever)

this just eased my thoughts, but i was still scared of the possibility of owning stolen property.
would i ever buy a bike without a title? fuck no. its not worth the hassle. and my wife knows better now.

With you living in Austrialia, I think all this state side advice is mute. I'd go to your local government agent and inquire. My dad sold and old Triumph 650 with no title to a man from Aus years ago. He told my dad it would be no problem getting them imported and titled. My dad did write him a bill of sale. Maybe go to a local bike club and inquire how they've done it. I'm sure lost and no titles are a pretty universal problem.

Funny story. When I was in the Air Force stationed in the Phillippines, GIs would get cars and bikes stolen all the time. See there vehicle on the street days later with a phillipino owner. Even if stolen, all the owner had to show was three transfers of ownership via bill of sale, and you were out of luck. Of course most thiefs had all the owner transactions all worked out in advance. Insuance policies would not cover you for theft, everything else, just not theft.:) Shady do'ins there for sure.

With you living in Austrialia, I think all this state side advice is mute.

I started this thread because the quetion comes up all the time and there are two, (not including mine), up at the present. I thought if the answers were posted without to much chatter it would help members when/If, and i state if, a search was done.

This is for your, (US), benifit

I titled my 78' in California through ITS out of Las Vegas NV. Cost me about $165 and I received a Maine tag. It is a state that does not have titles for older vehicles. I then took my bike to AAA, a DMV affiliate, and they issued a tag and title. My next bike I am going to try it on my own with a bill of sale.

After buying bikes in Utah, California, Mass, NY and The Netherlands....I no longer buy bikes without valid conveyed (signed over titles) and signed Bill of Sale forms of the state in which it is going to be registered and/or resold.

Burned too many times with real PITA's.

Illinois- no title..no bill of sale...
get bike appraised
Get bond for three times the amount
Send paper work in with pics and wait for title
Just did it on a 50 pan.
Clean orignal title in my name
this is all needed if you can't find the previous owner with a 5 dollar title search thru the dmv.

Posted via Mobile

I have to say this is one area I think my old 79 Shovelhead has an advantage. S&S, Ultima, Delkron can supply me with a set of new cases with an MSO and without to much hassel you can get the thing legal. It almost seems like if you blow an engine on the XS you would be better off scraping the whole bike due to the engine interchange issues.
jefft

MN- I went to the local DMV, told them my case, they gave me a form for bill of sale that I and the other party in the sale had to fill out. They asked me to take pix of the bike from all sides, so I did and printed that out on another sheet. turned in both sheets to the DMV and recieved a clear title within six weeks or so. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to make sure it was a whole bike and not just a pile of parts.

I have to say this is one area I think my old 79 Shovelhead has an advantage. S&S, Ultima, Delkron can supply me with a set of new cases with an MSO and without to much hassel you can get the thing legal. It almost seems like if you blow an engine on the XS you would be better off scraping the whole bike due to the engine interchange issues.
jefft

The whole part of owning a vintage harley is to have orignal parts. I would never own a harley with aftermaggot cases. Xs numbers don't match frame numbers anyway. IL is to stupid to figure out which motor years match the frames.

Posted via Mobile

Back