Have you titled a non titled a bike

In 1998 i titled and registered a bitsa motorcycle in Texas. It was composed of bits of four different brands of bikes. I had bills of sale for all the major parts and receipts for everything else (I mean everything including the tubes). The frame came from a shop in Dallas with a nice Texas approved bill of sale, the motor was purchased 30 years before at a Kansas City MO swap meet and the bill of sale was written on an envelope.
The bike had to be inspected at an inspection station and the inspector looked at the serial numbers and compared them with the corresponding bills of sale. Finally he wanted to see the receipts for everything else including the tires and tubes. When he was satisfied he signed off on a DMV form and I headed back to the DMV. It cost me about $100 total to get the title, tag and registration. I was given pointers by local hot rod builders and they were correct. They not only told me which DMV office to approach but also told me specifically which clerk had the knowledge and attitude to help me.
Rider

Last edited:
In the early 90s I bought a pair of Yamaha 650s in Virginia from a friend. He had been owed some money by a guy who died and his wife gave him the 650s with no titles to pay the debt. One was relegated to parts but the other was nice. I used ITS to get a title for it. It was issued by Maine and came with the plate and registration for $75.00. I immedately took the paperwork to the VA DMV and exchanged the title for VA title and registration. It was fairly easy but the lady kept asking me what I was doing in Maine. I was military and told her I was training in the mountains. She seemed satisfied and I was on my way.
Rider

The whole part of owning a vintage harley is to have orignal parts. I would never own a harley with aftermaggot cases. Xs numbers don't match frame numbers anyway. IL is to stupid to figure out which motor years match the frames.

Posted via Mobile

My engine and frame numbers match on both of my '83 XSs-- I'll have to check my older XSs to know if they match.

Xs frames and engines had matching no's. Some engines have been found to not have a number at all and i think that is due to new replacment cases comming off the shelf from yamaha

Hmm have to look when I get home. Might have an engine swap in mine. Never looked at the ones in the basement. But im 90% sure that my 83 are not the same numbers. (Cases to frame) Also when I speak in terms of harley...im taking pre 69 when numbers were on the cases only.

Posted via Mobile

I just passed up a 1979 XS650 in good shape on eBay. sold for $255 with only a bill of sale. I ran a "free" VIN check on an insurace site and it cam back clean. I just did not feel comfortable going in to the DMV with bill of sale and finding the bike was hot from Ohio or some other damn place.

I'm in the process of doing this in UT. It's a few pages of paperwork, a VIN inspection by a police officer or safety inspector, and a nominal fee. They make sure it hasn't been stolen and they're getting the appropriate sales tax, but otherwise it isn't too bad of a hassle.

Finished the process yesterday. Cost less than ten bucks and was at the DMV for less than fifteen minutes.

In Arkansas we can get a bonded title, it's a bit of paperwork and some running around, but not that difficult. I just got a title for my XS this way. The bond was $140, a little pricey, but getting on the road legal was worth it.

Got one done in CAN'T be done here Wisconsin. Took a couple of years of back and forth Seriously I think it was a year end "clean out my files deal" by a DMV employee who got tired of shuffling the paper work. Have gotten a few from Indiana but it needs to be done by an Indiana resident. Michigan will do them but they want sales tax based on blue book value (a number that may surprise you).

In MO you can but it is a long and expensive process. You basically sue the state to provide a title. After talking to several lawyers for pricing ($500 - $600). Then you are still at the determination/ruling of the Judge so it isn't a sure thing. You better have gotten the bike cheap or have a sure fire case.

I purchased a 1983 XS650 Nov 1st in Rhode Island, got it cheap ,non running and no title. I live in Massachusetts and I registered the bike in Vermont. It sounds like a whole New England thing but it worked. You need a bill of sale, VIN verification and a completed new reg form that they will email to you. Vermont is interested in making a few bucks, they charge $44for reg including a number plate, you also pay 6.5% sales tax on the NADA value, mine was $33. I waited a month and went to the MA RMV with the Vermont reg cert, and requested and received a MA title. As a side note the MA RMV is well known as being difficult to deal with, if they can turn you away they will. This is the second time I have done this with Vermont and I did it several years ago with Maine. tim

Several locals have reported the same good luck with the Vermont deal.
Mucho cheaper than the local solution.

It is pretty straight forward in Ontario - do your searches, compose a statutory declaration with all the info the Ministry needs and go wait in line.
One time, I had the name of a previous owner, searched him on FB and there was with a picture of the bike on his page.

Yes, in South Carolina. The DMV folks were really great. We traced the vin back to North Carolina sprinkled some chicken blood, and shouted hallelujah at midnight on Friday the 13th. Next day I had a title. 81 Special.

Fun fact: The term "first cousins" originated in SC. We use to describe our spouses because we were cousins first.

I think this is a good tread but most of the titles here on the east coast come from VERMONT or ROAD ISLAND. BROADWAY will not issue titles here in NJ/NY/DEL/PA I have tried. There is also a new company in PA but have not used them yet and going to try VERMONT myself. I use to do 20 a year with ITS until the father sold the rights to the son and he ripped everyone off. I lost $1200 with them and after that I lost the interest of trying to get titles. DMV are so screwed up here in the US that if they would just get there shit together you would be able to get one from there. NJ DMV has no records of any type CAR MOTORCYCLE BOAT TRAILER past 1995 because they went to computer and all the old that was on paper or fisch never were transferred. DUMB. I have gone rounds with them and its getting close to 4 years and I paid for title (lost or stolen) and still get letters saying I need bike inspected and NJ did away with motorcycle inspection over 6 years ago. They can't fix that glitch LOL:doh:

DaddyG---You do not get a title in Vermont, you get a registration and plate good for a year. I usually wait a month or so after getting the VT paperwork and take it to the MA DMV and get the title from them. Vermont does not issue titles after 15 years I believe. tim

Yep that's what you get but other states use that as title when you transfer to your state.
Plate good for one year with NO INSURANCE .

Back