Have you titled a non titled a bike

Not exactly no insurance. They (VT) have you send in to them "proof of Ins" ---What I do is take my current bike ins form and make a copy with the VIN from my new purchase on it. I'm sure it's illegal but the bike is in my basement , not on the road and it will take me a year to complete it. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.lol

I have seen a lot of threads asking/discussing how to get a title. Not one of them has posted an answer from the person who asked in the first place.

Of all the people who have gone down this route has anyone actually got it done and if they have could they post their results here. Would be good to hear from people who have done this and not a lot of "I think's" :)

Hi Skull,
just as in the USA, different Canadian Provinces have different rules.
All that's needed in Saskatchewan is to show a bill of sale to the young lady in an SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance) office.
The SGI computer checks the VIN against it's hot list and if the VIN is clean the machine is now in your name.
Back when I rebuilt an unregistered XS650 basket case bargain I had to trailer the bike to an SGI vehicle inspection garage
to have them check the VIN against the bill of sale but they don't even do that any more.
On a related note, I've seen posts about US list members getting so frustrated with their DMV's Byzantine attitude that they've ground off the VIN, restamped with a new ID and registered the bike as a new homebuild.
But won't a "new" bike be inspected for all the 2016 EPA bells & whistles that a 40 year old design will never pass so the poor guy just gets screwed again in a different orifice?

won't a "new" bike be inspected for all the 2016 EPA bells & whistles that a 40 year old design will never pass so the poor guy just gets screwed again in a different orifice?

This varies by state also. WI is loose, homebuilt title has very easy standards But you can't just homebuilt a standard bike it can't "resemble " a manufactured make model" (whatever THAT means LOL). BUT check insurance rates on hpme built before you try this.

The rules quickly get byzantine

Homemade motorized vehicles
Homemade motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, may qualify for Hobbyist plates.
The vehicle must have been constructed from new or used parts not originating from or resembling a previously manufactured motor vehicle.
Homemade motorcycles that replicate a motorcycle 20 or more model years old.
Application materials must include a bill of sale for all major parts used in the construction of the vehicle.
If the vehicle qualifies, it must pass a safety and equipment inspection with the Wisconsin State Patrol.
Refer to Wisconsin Statutes 341.268 for vehicle definitions and Administrative Rule Trans 149 for homemade or reconstructed vehicle requirements. If you have questions about vehicles that qualify for hobbyist registration, call (608) 266-1466, Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm or contact us.

Things you should know:
The owner of a Hobbyist vehicle must own or lease one other motor vehicle for regular transportation with current, valid registration in Wisconsin under the same name(s) as the hobbyist vehicle. If jointly owned, each owner must own or lease a vehicle with valid registration in Wisconsin to qualify.
Hobbyist registration fees are twice the regular annual registration fee for the type of vehicle, plus a one time fee of $50 for the first Hobbyist plate. Example:
​​regular annual registration fee for an auto is $75

In MO you can but it is a long and expensive process. You basically sue the state to provide a title. After talking to several lawyers for pricing ($500 - $600). Then you are still at the determination/ruling of the Judge so it isn't a sure thing. You better have gotten the bike cheap or have a sure fire case.

Received a title in the mail yesterday. So it took a little over 3 months.
Total to title $450. Not tagged yet.
Not the cheapest, but better than no title.

In California I had to get a title. I went to DMV then they sent me to CHP where he did a VIN check on the frame and motor and gave me shit for buying an untitled bike, then I was sent back to DMV. Cost me $270... PITA

Wisconsin was hard ass, but now has a bonded title program typically $100 to an insurance company for the title bond for a lower value, <$5,000?? plus title, license and sales tax to Wisconsin, after three years the bonded title becomes a regular title, I'm not sure if they issue a new title with the bonded warning removed send, a notice, or ?? after the three years. Haven't done one yet but looks fairly simple.

Vermont accepts my Mass. VIN cert. and the local friendly Police Officer comes to my house and signs it.
tim

In Kansas I have to get it checked at the local KHP. I've already had the vin run through them and they said there was no record of it being stolen or ever registered in KS.

In OK there are a few steps and I know some changes have happened since the last time I did it. 1st send a form in to the state to either get last owner info or the all clear of the system. If last owner send them a letter a certain way and wait a set time, if out of system post an add for 30 days with VIN and storage fee. After you take the vehicle to a tag agency with the paper from the state and the proof of letter or posting they'll verify the VIN and issue plates and title shows up in about a week. The simpler choice is talk to people who do the title42 work for you for about $100, then pay your tags when they get the paperwork to you.

WA is possible, but a hassle. 1st make sure you get a notarized bill of sale and release of interest form on purchase. Then send a form in to olympia and find out if it is still in the computers, if it is you then get to send a letter to the last known owner and wait. If they never respond or it isn't in the computer the next step us the same, you take all the paperwork you have abd make an appointment with the state patrol for an inspection(make sure it would be road legal or you might only get a salvage title) and get a form from them. Now take all the forms to the tag place and pay taxes, registration and a large fee for the "inspection". Now keep it registered for 3 years and you can finally get a title.

Back