HD rear wheel on XS question

Nooovie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a popular topic and I've exercised my search option but this question lingers.

When switching to HD wheels... is there a particular span of years of HD rims I should focus on? I found a sprocket from Mr. Luycky's that will fit the HD wheel. They said that it will fit a wheel through 1999.

KS34TRS.jpg

Okay... I know there are different axle sizes, and 3/4 is the one to go with, but it looks like the actual hub changes after 1999. Do you guys know if the 5 bolt pattern for the sprocket and disk are the same for both styles?

Older style

3152089162_f4fbf4b9b9.jpg

Newer Style

16_RIM.JPG

I assume I will have to buy an HD rear caliper and bracket and possibly master cylinder too huh? Or will the XS brake hardware line up? But the main question here is the bolt pattern and what year of wheel to look for... :) Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the years of wheels. The Harley uses 5 bolts to hold the sprocket and the disc brake rotor. So a 6 bolt XS rotor won't bolt to the Harley wheel.

older HD wheels had a 2" hub, newer ones had 2.25". To use a sprocket intended for the 2" hub, simply have the center opened up to 2.25" so it will slip on.

Harley wheels are 3/4 axle and you can buy one on EBAY. I use the wheels all the time the only head ack is the sprocket size. You will need to bump up your front sprocket because most Harley Sprockets start at 46 tooth and XS 650 is around 32. There is a guy on there that makes them up any lenght and i have used his and work ok. You also have to make a brake stop on frame for HARLEY Caliber. It looks nice when done.Doing one now but extra work for the look. If you don't have 3/4 axle plates you also need reducers or you will have too much slop in axle. Hope this helped

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get in touch with Gordon for sure. I'd much rather support a fellow member.

Since my post, I ended up buying both styles of rims, a 21 & 16 from a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide, and a set of 16s from a 95 Road King. Since the Wide Glide rims are already black and converted to 3/4in axle, I'm gonna try to run those. If the rear is difficult to hook up, I'll just powdercoat the other 16. I'v also picked up a 2004 Harley rear caliper that I have to reduce from a 1in mount to a 3/4. Going Harley wheels is not without it's cost, that's for sure. I've also picked up a used springer, so am trying to make it all work now.

The previous owner of the Dyna wheels gave me a 3/4in rear axle but it's way too wide. Is there a bike that has an 11.25in or so long 3/4in axle that can be "appropriated"? What have you guys done for rear axles without having to machine the stock XS one?

I have a 18" x 5.5" Wide tyre going on to my bike. I got the Offset kit from Gary Poh and the rear 34T sprocket from Gordonscott. I'm stuck at the moment waiting on my Wide Hard tail section (4mths) from Elswick. 21" Front. Both Aftermarket to suit a Harley.

Be really interested to see some photos of the parts and progress as you go with your adaption.

With the springer front end it may be easier just to get a harley neck kit and stick a whole harley springer front end in.

Back