Head leaking oil after engine removal - problem?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you all experienced this and if it means I should investigate further by removing the head:

Engine runs well, no leaks evident on several test runs of 10-30 minutes each over 2-3 months (restoration job so I got the engine running and have now stripped it down).

2 days ago I removed the engine by gripping it by the kick starter, putting my fingers in the left exhaust port, and lifting it out with a grunt or 2. Placed it carefully on a dolly where it sits now.

Just checked it over and there is oil seepage on the left side under the exhaust port. So did my engine removal method in effect separate the gasket seal between the head and jugs on the left side, or maybe the oil was just sloshing around and it is a one-time thing?

The oil seepage seems to have been limited in quantity, but I probably won't know if there's a permanent problem until I get it back on the frame and running again.:shrug:

No Jay, trust me you are not that strong.

But, check closely to see if the head gasket is not starting to leak.

Head bolt torque on the 8 large 17 mm bolts is 30 ft. lbs, so you can try tightening things up.

Consider age and miles on the motor and most likely a new gasket will be the ultimate fix.

Pretty tough stuff lifting engine out by yourself.

Better not mess with you eh!

:DHa! Right, lucky I didn't blow a gasket of my own. I just thought that with my fingers in the exhaust port (sounds gross) that the force of the weight of the rest of the engine below that point may have served to "pull" the joint apart ever so slightly.

But I think you're right, even with that, the torque on those bolts wouldn't allow the seam to budge. Prolly just the oil that I did not drain sloshing through the rings - although I don't really know if that's possible. No meccanica.:D

couple of things come to mind, a leaky exhaust valve seal will weep oil INSIDE the exhaust port, when you remove the pipe...
rust buster used to remove nuts bolts etc.

Always do a head bolt retorque. theres a couple of threads with directions.
That will stop about 8 or 9 out of 10 head gasket leaks.

Pulled an engine today by my 60 year old self, not that bad if you have a raised place to sit it nearby. a bike lift worked perfect for the sitting place.

Thanks for the insight Brian902 and gggGary, I'll read up and re torque the head and leave it at that for now. Well done gggGary!

Back