Headlight adjustment

Roy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using an automotive sealed beam headlight in my xs1-b. The sealed beam fits up against the chrome trim ring on the front of the headlight bucket. It is held in place by little wire retainers. The problem is I can't tip the headlight bucket down far enough to properly align the headlight. When adjusted all the way down, the beam still shines too high. Any thoughts?

Two solutions: Either get rid of the mounting/adjusting stay on the bottom of the headlight and fabricate a stay that allows more adjustment.
Or get rid of the stay completely, and put two or four large star washers on the side ear mounting bolts. I had to do this in a similar headlight situation, and it works. I just happened to have the right size star washers, you'll probably have to order them.

Two solutions: Either get rid of the mounting/adjusting stay on the bottom of the headlight and fabricate a stay that allows more adjustment.
Or get rid of the stay completely, and put two or four large star washers on the side ear mounting bolts. I had to do this in a similar headlight situation, and it works. I just happened to have the right size star washers, you'll probably have to order them.
Thanks for the info. If I ordered the original replacement reflector for this bike, would I have the same issue?

Thanks for the info. If I ordered the original replacement reflector for this bike, would I have the same issue?
The reflector at the bottom of the ear? It will not change the angle of the headlight significantly, if at all, if that's what you are asking.

Sorry, I didn't explain that very clearly. For lots more money than a seven inch sealed beam headlight costs, you can buy a headlight reflector that uses a replaceable bulb. The replacement reflector uses all the original attachment points used by the factory when new. Why can you adjust that unit correctly, but not a sealed beam?

I don't have an answer for that. Maybe something is tweaked on your bike, and when you buy the replacement "reflector" you will still have the problem.

I cut the adjuster mount off my shell, added rubber washers and tightened them to 5 omgs.
An omg (Oh my God) is a widely recognized value of force exerted on wrenches, pliers, vice grips and even screw divers with pretty big handles...
@jetmechmarty would not approve...
20231014_182258.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the older headlight unit but is it the same size as the later ones? If so then you might consider a headlight from some other Yamaha model. I put the factory H4 headlight from an XS850 in my '83 and it fit perfectly. I got the whole thing, bucket and all, off eBay for about $25. It uses the standard, separate H4 replacement bulb that can be replaced for less than $10.

Back