Headlight mount question

chicagobob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum, having just purchased Tron311's '76. The bike has many issues, but the most obvious (and right now the easiest to see) is the headlight and turn signal mounting. Look at these photos. What the heck? It looks like there's no way that headlight ever fit between those headlight ears. It's a standard 7" sealed beam. Bucket is 8-1/2" wide from mount to mount, and looks original to the bike.

I can't find any information about this, so I call upon this forum's experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
46953126165_33ccd59f5e_z.jpg

47079879254_eaeceb7655_z.jpg

The brackets have been badly damaged..........They are the correct ones for the bike.............the downward angle is caused by the damage to the bracket and also the indicator shaft bolt is probably bent as well, or the nuts in the bucket are loose. The indicator shaft has a double end threaded bolt that screws into the indicator shaft and then the nut goes on to hold it on the bucket.

Yea welcome and it looks to a nice buy. watched the vid should clean up nice.

:agree:

Welcome aboard!
Search headlight ears threaded rod in here, there's hope for mangled ears, if your careful in your work, they can be paint ready with little or no bondo.
Here's a bent ears thread with a reference to another straightening thread also.

Thanks, everyone! I fixed them with a c-clamp and a couple of pieces of oak. I wasn't sure what the originals looked like, because mine were bent symmetrically. Also, there weren't any good photos on line, and all the ones on eBay seem to be similarly bent.

Anyhow, on to ignition and carburetion, without which a headlight is unnecessary, anyhow.

Back