Headlight W clips mount, how to ?

Sarilhos

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi;

I'm having some trouble trying to mount this w clips.

Can any one guide me on how to mount them ?

10-1156.jpg

Thanks

So this is hard to explain, but essentially, you place the headlamp into the headlight ring of the bucket...then, the clips's mid-section catch the outer edge of the headlamp, and the clip's "elbows" go into the front edge of the headlight ring. Next, with a screw driver or pliers, bend out the "open ends" of the clip and maneuver them so that they go into the opposite lip of the headlight ring (back part, closest to the bike). They'll snap in and the tension essentially locks the headlight to the ring.

You can usually place one or two and then put the headlight in, then do the remaining two...might be easier.

Here's a pic I found on the web with what they should look like:
Edmonton-20130201-00582_zps8cf4add4.jpg

Wow, tried all other positions except that one ;(
Even tried the reverse of that one

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

There are hooked sections on the bucket edge that the rim hooks onto. You can see one in the upper left of the picture above. Don't position the clips where they'll interfere with those.

So this is hard to explain, but essentially, you place the headlamp into the headlight ring of the bucket...then, the clips's mid-section catch the outer edge of the headlamp, and the clip's "elbows" go into the front edge of the headlight ring. Next, with a screw driver or pliers, bend out the "open ends" of the clip and maneuver them so that they go into the opposite lip of the headlight ring (back part, closest to the bike). They'll snap in and the tension essentially locks the headlight to the ring.

You can usually place one or two and then put the headlight in, then do the remaining two...might be easier.

Here's a pic I found on the web with what they should look like:
Edmonton-20130201-00582_zps8cf4add4.jpg

Hi;

I'm having some trouble trying to mount this w clips.

Can any one guide me on how to mount them ?

10-1156.jpg

Thanks
Did these work OK once you had them in the correct way.. I ask because i installed some and still have slop. I installed the Geoff XS 650 light, the clips, into what I believe is standard XS2 headlight rim ( The bike is a mint unrestored 5000 mile bike so i dont doubt the rim is right... yet)

Perhaps there's not enough tension on the clips/headlight? I don't know if the XS2 headlight bucket used clips like these originally, so you may try and see if bending the "legs" a little will get more force on the headlight. Or perhaps there's too much distance from the clip to headlight causing some slack on the headlight to the rim? Not sure if they sell "shorter" clips...but a bit of modding them might do the trick. Another idea might be to get something between where the clip and headlight meet to take up the slack (perhaps a piece of plastic tubing or something snapped onto the metal clip? Just thinking out loud here. Good luck.

thanks.. yep gonna bend them a bit more and as you say pack it a bit.
i tried packing by using the three lugs on the back of the shell. but it wasnt enough... I'll report back .. as thing plastic clear carb hose

The W clips were too short even if bent so i temporarily packed some plastic tube. They just don't work for my application (XS2). I ended up buying some W/Clips from Yamabits .. these do the trick .. tight as!. pic attached shows they are longer

Attachments

• w clips.jpg
    w clips.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 177
Or, you get lucky and find 3 of these on a clearance shelf at an old MC shop.
light1.JPG light2.JPG

Yeah the real early ones used that weird bulb. Every '71 I've worked on has had a cut up old bulb with a "modern" bulb glued or taped to it as an adapter!

Back