Headlight will not turn on

Truelife

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just finished putting together my 78' xs650se and when I turn it on the headlight will not run and all of my signals and rear light are now dimmed. Any ideas on what could be causing this? and a simple solution to fix? Thanks

I have removed the RLU already. I thought that might have been the issue initially. Is there another relay or something that the headlight would pass through? It is just strange that all of my other lights have dimmed now.

Do the turn signals blink.....Whats the condition of the battery......

Dennis. it does on the earlier models

On the 78 it was the first year they incorparated they headlight control section of the safety relay.
On these bikes the headlight on/off switch won't get power until the bike is running.
Have you checked the battery voltage while the bike is running? If the charging system is not working the yellow wire has no voltage to trip the safety relay.
Leo

Good clean tight connections everywhere. Check for rotted wires especially the ground wire from battery to frame. Check fuse(s) old fuses often look good but are broken or rotted off inside the ends. Is the battery good AND charged.
If you built your own wiring harness you need a ground wire from the frame to the headlight AND to the the handlebars. The simplified diagrams never show that detail. Not having that ground wire can also ruin your steering bearings over time.

I've replaced the flasher unit already and that's not the issue. The battery is fine and same as fuses. The rear light works, the signals are incredibly dim. It is the original wiring harness on the bike.

Is it possible that a relay under the side cover could be affecting my lights?

See that the connection are connected tightly and correctly and if it is ok then see the relay switch is working properly because in my case the relay switch was the problem and if all these are good in your case then you should take it to some good mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he still hasn't figured it out I responded with one possible thing in thread #6 but was aparrently ignored because he asked about the same thing in thread #8.
As far as taking the bike to a good mechanic, ones that know and understand 30+ year old bikes are few and far between. And cost way to much. On these bikes troublshooting the electrical takes a $10 multimeter and a bit of knowledge and a wiring diagram for the year and model of your bike.
Except for the meter everything else is on here.
Leo
Oh almost forgot, Welcome to you AydanGreen. You say your from New York, city or state?

I think his post was more about linking to BBZ limo service.
At least that is what is buried in the link if you right click and click properties.

I kinda thought that too but thought I would be freindly, he may actually be a XS650 rider.
Leo

Thanks for welcoming me. I think so you did not like my suggestion, i was here to just help you in your problem.

Hi AydanGreen,
We have spammers who post in threads just to tag their post with a link to....something.
Sorry if I had your intentions wrong.
A belated welcome to the site.

Thanks once again for welcoming me, are you thinking that i am here to spam your thread, so you removed my link also.

Your suggestion could very well be his problem. The relay is a fairly robust unit and seldom fails. It can and does fail but the alternator output on the yellow wire is more often the problem.
If he does check the yellow wire and finds it is suppling voltage and the relay still won't power the lights and all the other inputs to the relay are good then the relay is probably bad and should be replaced.
On links in your posts, it's better to wait until you have a few posts under your belt before you put them in. It also helps if the link is motorcycle related and XS650 specific is even better.
Leo

Last edited:
Have you eliminated your RLU (Reserve Lighting Unit)? If not, I would do so. They can cause all sorts of weird electrical problems if they go bad. Follow the simple instructions here .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

OK, I just came in from farting around in the shed , fired up my bike with the new UNIs on ( noticeable difference ,smoother idle and had to turn the idle down ) . I decided to remove the reserve lighting unit , everything seems to work fine without it , but I see the link in the post by 5twins says to connect the blue/black to the blue /yellow , so should I cut that plug off and connect them or just run a wire from one to the other and leave the plug on ? ( just incase for some reason I need it later )

OK, I just came in from farting around in the shed , fired up my bike with the new UNIs on ( noticeable difference ,smoother idle and had to turn the idle down ) . I decided to remove the reserve lighting unit , everything seems to work fine without it , but I see the link in the post by 5twins says to connect the blue/black to the blue /yellow , so should I cut that plug off and connect them or just run a wire from one to the other and leave the plug on ? ( just incase for some reason I need it later )

I always leave the stock connectors/plugs as they are. You never know when you may want to go back to the way it was. I suggest you make up a wire with the compatible connectors, to jumper the 2 wires togther. No need to do anything with the other wires.

I know most folks remove the RLU, but I still have mine on my bike. It just sits there and causes no problems, so I just leave it alone.

I always leave the stock connectors/plugs as they are. You never know when you may want to go back to the way it was. I suggest you make up a wire with the compatible connectors, to jumper the 2 wires togther. No need to do anything with the other wires.

I know most folks remove the RLU, but I still have mine on my bike. It just sits there and causes no problems, so I just leave it alone.

Sound advice, thanks.

Back