Headlight Wire ?

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1981 special that some of you know I put a Mikes XS charge in. Now I did get it working but I don't have a headlight. In looking at the leftover wiring I have an unplugged yellow wire. In looking at the wiring diagram there was a yellow wire that came out of alt and went to a safety relay so is that my problem and if So if I find a switched hot to connect to I should get back the headlight back and not mess anything up correct? Thanks John

Pretty much so, yes. But now your headlight will be coming on with the key and stealing battery power away from the starter and ignition. This could be an issue if the battery is low. The bike may crank over but not start because all available battery power is being used to work the starter. None is left over to power the ignition. What can add to the issue on later models is the multitude of tail and license plate lights that also come on with the key (4).

Should be possible to tap into one of the 3 ac leads from the alternator, perhaps through a resistor since the factory connection was to a 4th low power winding in the stator. This should result in as designed headlight safety relay action.

To make this work do I need to splice into a wire (yellow) coming out of the alt or will red/green out of voltage reg. work?

Back