Headlight Wiring help

NastyNate

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok removed left front headlight controls from the bike and just need to know which wires I need to reconnect to get it some power again. I have a 1980 special and have only found info for earlier models.

Heres the list of wires I have out of the headlight to the control.

Ylw/Red
Pink
Ylw
Blk
Brw/Wht
Brown
Green
Dark Green
Ylw/Blk
Blue/Ylw
Blue/Grn

Pretty sure the dark green is low beam and the yellow is high right? But which wires do I connect at the other end of the toggle switch?

Thanks guys XSLeo helped me out with this info. Figured it should be on record.

Lets start by saying which wires do what.
Ylw/Red...is actually red/yellow and works with the turnsignal self canceler to turn of the turn signals.
Pink... is the horn.
Ylw.. is high beam.
Blk... is ground.
Brw/Wht... power from the flasher to the turn signal switch.
Brown... is chocolate and goes from the turn switch to the left side signals.
Green..either this green or the dark green goes to the right turn signals or the low beam.
Dark Green... see above
Ylw/Blk.. works with the RLU to light one headlight beam when other blows.
Blue/Ylw... probably yellow/blue, power from RLU to dimmer switch
Blue/Grn... see yellow/black.

Are you doing a simplified harness? As in stripping of all the old and building new.
In the stock harness the safety relay turns the headlight on. Power from the fuse comes to the safety relay on the red/yellow wire. When the safety relay turns on it sends power out on the blue/black wire to the reserve lighting unit and to the dash lights on a blue wire.
At the RLU power comes out on the yellow/blue wire to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer switch to the headlight high/low beams.
Now If it was me I would tear it all out and start from scratch.
Any way to power your headlight with a minumum of work, remove the RLU, chuck it. On the RLU connector jump the blue/black wire to the yellow/blue.
Now where you unplugged the left side switches the yellow blue wire now has power. If you are going to have a dimmer switch hook this yellow/blue wire to it so you have both the high and low beams.
If no dimmer then hook this wire straight to the low beam on your headlight.
If you still have the safety relay it will turn the headlight on when the engine starts. If you remove the safety relay, then in the connector you will need to jump the red/yellow wire to the blue/black wire. Then put an on/off switch between the yellow/blue wire and headlight to shut the headlight off while starting the engine. Just turn it back on after you start up.
Hope this helps.
Leo

Back