Headlight ?

Jqb12

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to wire a stock xs headlight (has 3 wires: black, green, yellow) onto the bike which has a brown and a black coming in. I won't have any high/low switch-just a basic headlight.
I'm thinking black to black, and the green and the yellow hooked to the brown? Any help would be great.
Thanks, Jeff

Black to black is good, that's ground.
However, yellow is hi-beam, and green is low-beam.
Don't tie both of them to brown (switched ignition hot). That'll burn both beams, draw too much current, and likely burn-out the headlight from too much heat.

Probably should just use the low-beam 'green' for this.
Less draw, less likely to be written-up for not dimming the high-beams.

Attachments

• HeadlightWiring2.jpg
    HeadlightWiring2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Yea, the headlight that was on the bike had a pushbutton for a horn, and a toggle for the high/low beam. The new light won't have any of that. With the stock xs, was the switch for those items on the handlebar controls?
The old light had a blue, white, and the brown going into the high/lo switch (see pic). The headlight had the blue, white, and the black going into it.(pic)

Last edited:
Yea, the headlight that was on the bike had a pushbutton for a horn, and a toggle for the high/low beam. The new light won't have any of that. With the stock xs, was the switch for those items on the handlebar controls?
The old light had a blue, white, and the brown going into the high/lo switch (see pic). The headlight had the blue, white, and the green going into it.(pic). The green was tied into the black from the bike also.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 359
... With the stock xs, was the switch for those items on the handlebar controls?

The 70-71 XS1 was easy. On/off and High/Low were all in the left handlebar switch.
After that, things got increasingly complicated, with starter, lighting, and safety interlocks.

The toggle switch arrangement in your second pic should work fine...

I was just showing where that brown wire went to. I don't have a toggle Hi/Lo in the new light set-up. Nothing on the handlebars either. Again, I just want a headlight that will be on when the bike is on, period!

Back