Health Thread

Thank you, Peanut, I'm wrong about that, but the Americans used radar against Japanese fighter planes and that was my point. You have to give credit where it's due. The Brits also developed Cat Scan and MRI. They also conquered America for us from the Spanish, Dutch and French. Thank you again!

hey I was just pulling your chain GB ...;) actually most folk probably wouldn't know much about the development of RDF . I happen to know because my late Father was a Radar operator on HMS Dispatch and HMS Glenearn during WW2 . He ran some Atlantic convoys and his ship HMS Glenearn delivered American and British Special forces to the beaches at Normandy. HMS Glenearn carried 24 LCAs and 3x LCMs and over 1500 GIs at a time !

After 6 weeks of ferrying supplies and troops the ship was repainted in Pacific colours and fitted with a small helicopter and eventually ended up at Kure Japan as a command centre 12 miles from Hiroshima.

My Father must have been the only serving Royal Navy rating during WW2 to travel in a B17 Flying Fortress aircraft serial No 42-30811 based at 306th Bombardment Group at Thurleigh UK . His Sister (my Aunt ) married a base Crew Chief Herbert Mcgary and so Mac arranged for my Father to go up in one of the newly arrived B17 bombers for a 2 hour test flight along the coast prior to a bombing raid the following week over Schweinfurt Germany. Sadly all but one of the crew were later reported MIA . An interesting story I must tell some time.
B17 369 squadron.jpg

Apologies for the thread hyjack goldenboy . I have been following this with much interest:)

Maybe some help in here, if you can find it.
View attachment 130256

Essentially, it shows how you can find foods, allergens, stimulants to which your gut reacts negatively, by monitoring your pulse rate reactions...

very interesting 2M ........

i had a book once called 'The Elimination Diet' by Eileen somebodyorother. I have done an elimination diet several times now and know exactly what foods irritate my bowel but I still continue to eat them because they are some of my favourite foods like steak n kidney pie , . Interestingly now that I have time to cook all my food from scratch instead of eating processed food and takeaways ,I rarely suffer at all with food intolerance .

Heart rate and sweating are 2 very good indicators of a food intolerance but you need to eliminate the food from your diet for at least 4-5 days before testing or any reaction will just be masked .Another indicator is wind and bloating. if I eat a piece of bread or toast my stomach reacts immediately with terrific wind and I am unable to swallow anything for several minutes until I can burp it up. I've quit eating bread now due to Diabetes
I'll see if I can find the book title.

Thanx, that's what I thought. The cardiologist that examined me wasn't concerned at all. He said: "It's not like you get only a certain number of heartbeats in life." However, he was quite insistent that I discontinue my vitamins and nutritiyonal supplements. Reason: "The heavy metals will kill you!". (There's very little heavy metals in my plant-derived supplements.)

That's what I have to deal with out here.

View attachment 130256

Essentially, it shows how you can find foods, allergens, stimulants to which your gut reacts negatively, by monitoring your pulse rate reactions...
I've worked in hospitals
Thanx, that's what I thought. The cardiologist that examined me wasn't concerned at all. He said: "It's not like you get only a certain number of heartbeats in life." However, he was quite insistent that I discontinue my vitamins and nutritional supplements. Reason: "The heavy metals will kill you!". (There's very little heavy metals in my plant-derived supplements.)

That's what I have to deal with out here.

View attachment 130256

My normal heart rate is 58-60 Bpm and have low BP due to the exercise. I was on a no complex sugar, no starch diet, last time, after getting colitis from clostridium difficile (c-diff) a bad bacterial infection from the dentist giving me antibiotics for a tooth infection, which essentially wiped out all the bacteria in the colon. This was confirmed by my integrative medicine doctor. And then, the opportunistic bad bacteria took over. The low carb diet I was on "starved" the c-diff, which took 6 months. Then I was given an alphabet of vitamins and mineral supplements after blood was taken for deficiencies. This time, a respiratory infection put me on my back for 4 days, and went to the ER and a CT revealed the beginnings of colitis which got much worse in one week with no presence of c-diff. The problem comes on in the fall just when temps start to go down. This is an auto-immune disorder. White blood cells, in a negative feedback response, attack the lining of the colon. Of course, If I ate chunks of concrete, My intestines might look the same. Usually, I feel OK but when this happens, it's debilitating.
There was an article in National Geographic Magazine. One of the staff writers submitted to a test to find out how many man made pollutants were found in his body. There were 256 which is considered average. Where do you begin? And it's really helpful to feel confident in your doctors. I've changed 3 in the past 2 years. I'm on my 5th gastroenterologist. I was called to do a portable x-ray on an obese young girl with a rapid heart rate. I walked in the room and on top of the dinner tray table was a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi which was 2/3 finished. I called the nurse in and asked if the x-ray was really needed. She would call the doctor and they would get back to me. They never called back. 2M, I'm hopeful we will find answers to these tough problems.

Last edited:
hey I was just pulling your chain GB ...;) actually most folk probably wouldn't know much about the development of RDF . I happen to know because my late Father was a Radar operator on HMS Dispatch and HMS Glenearn during WW2 . He ran some Atlantic convoys and his ship HMS Glenearn delivered American and British Special forces to the beaches at Normandy. HMS Glenearn carried 24 LCAs and 3x LCMs and over 1500 GIs at a time !

After 6 weeks of ferrying supplies and troops the ship was repainted in Pacific colours and fitted with a small helicopter and eventually ended up at Kure Japan as a command centre 12 miles from Hiroshima.

My Father must have been the only serving Royal Navy rating during WW2 to travel in a B17 Flying Fortress aircraft serial No 42-30811 based at 306th Bombardment Group at Thurleigh UK . His Sister (my Aunt ) married a base Crew Chief Herbert Mcgary and so Mac arranged for my Father to go up in one of the newly arrived B17 bombers for a 2 hour test flight along the coast prior to a bombing raid the following week over Schweinfurt Germany. Sadly all but one of the crew were later reported MIA . An interesting story I must tell some time.
View attachment 130262

Apologies for the thread hyjack goldenboy . I have been following this with much interest:)
That's quite OK, you've given me a seguway for my Dad's experience crossing the Atlantic for the war:
My Dad went across on the Queen Mary for D-day +2. The Queen was painted battleship gray and the staterooms were gutted and bunks were installed six to eight high on two walls. They traveled through the North Atlantic to avoid German subs. Once a day, the horn would give one short blast so everyone could set their watches as most wind-ups were not known for keeping time, well. They went into a North Atlantic storm. Monster waves sent the boat yawing and pitching through the waves. All they could hear was the crashing and shuddering of the hull as the four blades came completely out of the water and crashed back down. This went on all day and night. Everyone was seasick. There was puke sloshing through the hold. My Dad looked across the room to the other bunks. One guy was hanging his head off his bunk and another guy leaned out two bunks above and puked right down on the side of the other guy's head, but he was so sick, he didn't even move. My Dad said, "I just wanted to die. I wanted that boat to just nose up and go to the bottom..."

Thank you, Peanut. The author is Elaine Gottschall. This was the first thing my integrative medicine doctor told me to get. And that was the diet I was on. She is a microbiologist who studied the flora and fauna of the intestines and how they react to different foods, then applied this knowledge to help here own daughter who suffered from ulcerative colitis. Then, she wrote the book entitled, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle, Intestinal Health Through Diet." ( Diet for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Diverticulitis, Celiac Disease, Cystic Fibrosis and Chronic Diahrrea. A great one, giving you insight on how to eliminate symptoms. It worked for me. But, when in acute stages, you can't digest some things, like nut flower. This book tells of the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet." My doctor also gave me a copy of the "Elimenation Diet." The food prep for this one is extremely demanding. I was hesitant to approach the kitchen staff with this diet, for fear of a revolt.:)

... This is an auto-immune disorder. White blood cells, in a negative feedback response, attack the lining of the colon...

18 years ago I endured 2 BMT (bone marrow transplant) in sequence, known as a "tandem rescue". After which the immune system starts from scratch, I lost all my previous immunizations. I never had allergies before, but now I'm inundated with them. White blood cells attacking.

Really long story short, started researching an emerging field, "extracellular communication". AKA "extracellular matrix" and "extracellular signaling". Found a product, "Mannatech Ambrotose".

https://us.mannatech.com/products/integrative-health/advanced-ambrotose/

After about 6 months use, most of my allergies subsided.

Warning, another deep black hole. I'll leave it for you to research...

18 years ago I endured 2 BMT (bone marrow transplant) in sequence, known as a "tandem rescue". After which the immune system starts from scratch, I lost all my previous immunizations. I never had allergies before, but now I'm inundated with them. White blood cells attacking.

Really long story short, started researching an emerging field, "extracellular communication". AKA "extracellular matrix" and "extracellular signaling". Found a product, "Mannatech Ambrotose".

https://us.mannatech.com/products/integrative-health/advanced-ambrotose/

After about 6 months use, most of my allergies subsided.

Warning, another deep black hole. I'll leave it for you to research...
Thank you, 2M. I will take a look. You have been through a lot, buddy...

OK, I looked around a little. The extracellular matrix , Mannatech products website, benefits of taking aloe powder and side effects, which were listed for aloe liquid. The matrix allows cells to pass nutrients and liquid. Mannatech products claim to enhance cell communication by using powdered aloe with some calcium and vitamin A, glucosamine and a small amount of other vitamins. Once again, statements made by this companynot approved by the FDA to treat this problem of cell communication. Benefits of taking aloe:
-contains healthy plant compounds
-antioxydent, antibacterial properties
-accelerates healing of burns
-helps treat canker sores
-reduces constipation
-may improve skin and prevent wrinkles
-lowers blood sugar levels
Side effects of taking aloe drinks:
-could cause serious health risks
-diahrrea
-reaction to medication
-allergies
-miscarriage
-gastrointestinal issues
-heart disease
-blood sugar(I believe they meant low)
I use alloe on my skin after taking a shower, but after seeing the possible side effects, for myself, I don't see any benefit out weighing risks of injesting aloe to see if this might help with colitis. As for compounds, I am for taking things approved by the FDA after laborotory procedures have been followed on most products. I am not qualified to judge these products and you've said they have helped you elimenate allergies. That is fortunate, but the complete opposite might happen with me. My brother has a doctor friend who my brother asked to give him a script for testosterone. My brother took it twice and wound up in the emergency room with a terrible case of sudden onset psoriatic arthritis where his knee and hand blew up to twice the size and he was wracked with pain. It happened right after taking testosterone and he never had it before, but is now being treated for it with biologics which the insurance pays $23,000 a year for.

Great! Now you're familiar with the concept. See if you can raise this to the next level. Preceding the Mannatech product was original independent research into extracellular topology, where they found an undiscovered 7th saccharide, which plays a role in communication. A short-lived sugar, found in all living things, Mannatech found a way to extract and encapsulate this sugar, most successfully from aloe. There is quite a history behind this research and product, at one time available from the independent labs, but that was long ago, too technical and boring for the short-attention-span public, buried in the archives somewhere, and I can't find it now...

i had a book once called 'The Elimination Diet' by Eileen somebodyorother. I have done an elimination diet several times now and know exactly what foods irritate my bowel but I still continue to eat them because they are some of my favourite foods like steak n kidney pie , . Interestingly now that I have time to cook all my food from scratch instead of eating processed food and takeaways ,I rarely suffer at all with food intolerance .

Heart rate and sweating are 2 very good indicators of a food intolerance but you need to eliminate the food from your diet for at least 4-5 days before testing or any reaction will just be masked .Another indicator is wind and bloating. if I eat a piece of bread or toast my stomach reacts immediately with terrific wind and I am unable to swallow anything for several minutes until I can burp it up. I've quit eating bread now due to Diabetes
I'll see if I can find the book title.
Violent reaction to wheat from bread may be gluten intollerance

The largest organ in the body is the Integumentary System, your skin.
Most people are unaware of all the functions it performs. They are:
1)Protection (from harmful UV rays, and microbes)
2)Absorbtion (of vitamin D)
3)Excretion (of waste)
4)Secretion (of water)
5)Regulation (of body temperature)
6)Sensation (input awareness)
You should protect your skin from drying out, or it will crack and abrade much more easily and you may get an infection or worse. In summer a quality sunscreen of SPF-30 will suffice as the protection properties will diminish on a parabolic curve after this. An SPF-60 is not twice as good and may only offer 5% more protection. But, even if your sunscreen expires, don't throw it out, because it will be better than the best skin cream for winter use. I treat my skin with Vaseline Intensive care and aloe lotion. In this case, I stick my short little arms down my big deep pockets and buy the good stuff. I've found store brand Vaseline substitutes to be oily and break down quickly. And get an aloe lotion without alcohol as a filler because you are not getting as much aloe in the same size bottle. After each shower,I apply aloe everywhere, except my lower arms and legs, applying the Vaseline there as the extremities seem to have dryer skin, and there are other places with the same problems. (You figure it out, for yourself...) In summer, I may not use Vaseline at all, especially on my ankles as I would develop a prickly heat rash above the socks from that. And don't forget your back. I always try to do my back by putting aloe or sunscreen on the backs and sides of my hands and trying to reach everywhere, myself. That will increase flexibility in your shoulders. Besides, I hear comments at the beach from people half my age, saying, "Look at that. How does he do it? I can't do that."
Athlete's Foot and Jock Itch are the same fungal infection. To avoid jock itch, you should always put your socks on before putting on your underwear. And to avoid athletes foot, you should scrub the bottoms of your feet while in the shower, including between the toes. And for ease of undressing, it is always best to remove your pants, first, before attempting to remove your underwear. :) (Why does this seem like it belongs in the "old fart" thread?)

Great! Now you're familiar with the concept. See if you can raise this to the next level. Preceding the Mannatech product was original independent research into extracellular topology, where they found an undiscovered 7th saccharide, which plays a role in communication. A short-lived sugar, found in all living things, Mannatech found a way to extract and encapsulate this sugar, most successfully from aloe. There is quite a history behind this research and product, at one time available from the independent labs, but that was long ago, too technical and boring for the short-attention-span public, buried in the archives somewhere, and I can't find it now...
I spent a little time looking at material using key words. 2M, I am not qualified to comment on material I know very little about. This is microbiology, biochemical research, and chemocytology. But I wouldn't comment on the details of overhauling a Peugeot, either. The best I can do is direct you to someone who I would think is qualified to answer some of your questions, since you are determined to learn more. Your cardiologist is concerned with treating your cardiac issues not dealing with you as a complete unit (holistically) I learned all I know about simple and complex sugars and how they related to my ulcerative colitis, 2 years ago from a well qualified Integrative Medicine Doctor. She also has dieticians on staff. She was adament about stressing the importance of following instructions of my gastro, cardio and primary care physician. She identified antibiotics as the trigger for my symptoms. She helped me restore and replenish my body after it was ravaged by this disease. She tested me for deficiencies, and prescribed supplements which I went off as my final nutritional evaluation demonstrated normal levels of vitamins and nutrients. But she also found something else, a high level of mercury in my system. Then I was able to find the most likely cause. An article came out on the front page of a large local paper about a tributary to the Hackensack River called Berry's Creek, which was directly across the river from the hospital I worked in for 13 years. The article said Berry's Creek was tested and they found the highest level of mercury found in any water way anywhere, ever. Then I remembered something. Once or twice a week, some brown sediment would show in the tap water we washed with and made coffee and tea in the department. Then I spoke with a friend in hazmat. He explained what he believed was going on. There must be a crack in the water feed to the hospital underground. Usually, water will flow away from the pipe if there is a crack, but this area is tidal and when the water water table rises, ground water pressure can override the internal pressure of the pipe, especially during moon tides. This will force ground water into the pipe. As soon as I learned this, I called the supervisor in X-ray and put it on them. There have been no studies of long term effects of elevated mercury levels, only studies of high levels of mercury from people who ingested it in suicide attempts. But, right now I'm happy to say that in the last week, my body has responded to treatment with some very expensive medicine and my symptoms are reversing, I'm regaining weight and am able to tolerate more normal foods, and started exercising, gradually. This medication has gone through many years of research and development and they must be compensated for their efforts. I was also thinking about what you said about evidence of the research for the aloe extract by Mannatech. Could it be possible that research was discontinued due to funding for a supplement which may not provide adequate financial returns? Or, could it be possible that the research used for this process of cell communication enhancement might have been overshadowed by new discoveries in the field of genetic engineering? I'm only speculating and have no answers. As of two months ago, Berry's Creek was designated as the latest super fund sight and people were afraid Trump may try to slide the tablecloth out by somehow reapropriating the funds.

Last edited:
... a high level of mercury in my system...

Gaah, Mercury. Not good. Glad to hear that you're eliminating it. A likely source for many of us old farts is mercury amalgams, dental fillings.

... Could it be possible that research was discontinued due to funding for a supplement which may not provide adequate financial returns?

That's what happened to an extract that demonstrated 20,000x effectiveness against colon cancer, vs the best pharma chemo. Since it was plant derived, couldn't be patented, funding pulled, even attempted coverup of the findings. Lookup "Graviola"...

Gaah, Mercury. Not good. Glad to hear that you're eliminating it. A likely source for many of us old farts is mercury amalgams, dental fillings.

That's what happened to an extract that demonstrated 20,000x effectiveness against colon cancer, vs the best pharma chemo. Since it was plant derived, couldn't be patented, funding pulled, even attempted coverup of the findings. Lookup "Graviola"...
Had the fillings checked out. Most of my silver fillings are gone. Mayo Clinic website said removing these fillings may spread more mercury through your system.

I looked up Graviola on webmd website:
Overview: People take Graviopla by mouth for infections caused by bacteria and parasites, cancer, diabetes and to cause vomoting. People rub it on their skin for insect repellant, but there is no good evidence to support any of these uses.
Side Effects: Possibly unsafe when taken by mouth. It can kill nerve cells in the brain and other parts of the body. It may cause movement disorders similar to Parkinson's Disease. If you have Parkinson's Disease, it could make your symptoms worse.

Yup, a lot of that "No published scientific findings, no peer review, unsubstantiated reports" out there. The sceptic's battle cry. I find it amazing that not long ago, people were put to death for thinking that the earth is round.

Could probably dispute and say the same thing about fixing TCI ignitions by gluing a magnet onto the rotor. It's not in any manuals, doesn't do a thing for points ignitions, just testimonials in here...

Yup, a lot of that "No published scientific findings, no peer review, unsubstantiated reports" out there. The sceptic's battle cry. I find it amazing that not long ago, people were put to death for thinking that the earth is round.

Could probably dispute and say the same thing about fixing TCI ignitions by gluing a magnet onto the rotor. It's not in any manuals, doesn't do a thing for points ignitions, just testimonials in here...
When I was in my early 20's, sometimes my friends and I would go to Biometrix Labs to get a little scratch for allowing this company to test new medical products on us. We were doing worse to ourselves, anyway. A test patch of a new skin lotion to see if it would cause a rash. My girlfriend and her friend got in on a new feminine deodorant spray test that payed $200. They were given instructions on how and when to use it and when to shower and douche then they were all bused to a hotel in the Poconos where results would be documented. A partition was placed between the test subjects and the judges, which were called "sniffers". The women sat in little stalls and would place a funnel over their crotches and the sniffers would sniff the opposite side of the funnel and would mark comments on a pad. When the test was over, my girlfriend told me they all proceeded to another room and had coffee and pastries with the sniffers. The last test I did was take a new antibiotic. It caused everyone to vomit. My point is there are so many approved drugs which can cause problems, so I'm wary of those which have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, our watchdog.

There are some scary terms for this; "a sudden onset major catastrophic event". In my case, it involved the "left anterior descending coronary artery", "LAD", nicknamed "The Widow Maker", as this is the most common vessel associated with a sudden spike in blood pressure. This is a "silent killer".

Golden boy, I suffered through the exact same thing back in August of this year. Doc said I had a 98 percent blockage in my artery. I am very fortunate to be here. I ended up having a stent put in, and of coarse, an onslaught of meds. Baby aspirin, statin, 2 BP meds, and a cholesterol med. I drove my rider lawn mower for two hrs prior to attempting a 20 foot cut with the self propelled/push mower. Upon starting it I noticed a very strong force pushing dead center on my chest that was very uncomfortable. I briefly thought I had just pulled a muscle while pulling the starting cord. I proceeded to push on and after a 15 foot walk with the mower I bent over, hands on knees, and fought for breath like I just ran a 50 yard dash.my Mrs asked if I was okay and I asked her to call 911. I have no heart history in the family, and had a complete stress test, echo, and a test where they actually see your heart in video. Pretty bizarre to watch that by the way. My BP before hand was about 145/95, and my cholesterol came in at 145 after the incident. Doc said I appeared to be “genetically pre-disposed”. The whole episode came as a complete surprise.[/QUOTE]

Back