• No, get your head outta your a** and get the right clutch pack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, you lucked out and guessed right

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

XSWestgate

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As i'm tearing into this bike, one of the many issues is the clutch pull is very stiff. I installed the new clutch cable without affecting the amount of pull required. When I pulled the clutch plates out, I didn't think much of how tough they were to get out, I chalked it up to me be impatient. When I went to reinstall, three plates looked discoloured and they were a friction fit with the basket.:umm:
full

My phone sucks at photos but you can still see the difference, on the right are steel plates with friction material bonded to them while the left side seem to be a composite material, they feel low quality, and they just don't fit. I am planning to order replacement ones but before I do, am I missing something by assuming these friction plates are now useless? surely this can't be intentional.
Also, while we're here I would like to confirm with the experts, the plates I have are all the same size (steel 1.4mm x 6 plates, friction 3.0mm x 7 plates) am I good to replace with same? I have searched the forum for the configuration but honestly get conflicting reports depending on the post, hence the confirmation.

Thank you:bow2:,

Kyle

Kyle, there's a dizzying amount of clutch info in here. Would take a lifetime to grind thru it all. But, your plate thicknesses imply that you have the '447' type clutch setup, for 74-79 models, and the most common. You could simply order a 7-plate clutch kit, and install by following member I_am_Carbon's video.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs650-clutch-disks-replacement-video.37727/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/clutch-adjustment-video.38076/
Thanks for the confirmation!

As far as "heavy clutch pull" is concerned, you could try using a fishing scale to measure the actual lever forces, and compare to some of my measurements in these:

Clutch worm actuator experiment and tidbits

Clutch cable experiment and tidbits
That's funny, I was thinking of doing the same pull test but I don't have a fishing scale. I like your experiments, they're very thorough! based on real-world comparisons, i'd estimate it's around 40 lbs at the lever to actuate this one. I'll see if I can get an actual measurement, plus i've been looking for an excuse to buy fishing stuff.:wink2:

once I get those plates swapped out, I should be in the ballpark of what you'd measured there and will update here.

That'd be awesome if you've discovered yet another way to make an XS650 clutch hard to pull! (aftermarket plates that don't fit right) Now that you bring it up, it seems so obvious.

Besides the plate replacement, make sure you oil your cable even though it's new. Many come almost dry. The 1st new one I installed pulled harder than the one it was replacing because of that. Then you should routinely maintain it, oiling it again every year.

That'd be awesome if you've discovered yet another way to make an XS650 clutch hard to pull! (aftermarket plates that don't fit right) Now that you bring it up, it seems so obvious.
Now that I think about it again after getting some rest, it doesn't make sense to me that the plates being friction fit with the outer hub would cause a heavy clutch pull, with the inner hub it should only cause engagement and wear issues, right? I guess I'll dive into the worm gear to see if that will help.

Besides the plate replacement, make sure you oil your cable even though it's new. Many come almost dry. The 1st new one I installed pulled harder than the one it was replacing because of that. Then you should routinely maintain it, oiling it again every year.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to do that

Unless the plates are so bad they don't re-engage (i find that hard to beleive, but maybe)meaning the clutch just wouldn't work at all when riding which I wouldn't know because I haven't even seen it run yet.

These bikes are kind of noted for a rather stiff clutch pull but most of the time that is related to cable and worm issues. You have to make sure the cable is routed as smoothly as possible (no tight bends) and well oiled. You also have to keep the worm assembly well greased - pack it full basically. Another issue that sometimes arises is the worm mounting to the cover. There's a large hole through the case for the plastic part of the worm to fit into. Many times there's a small ridge around the edge of this hole. If you tighten the worm mounting screws much past snug, that can pull the mount tabs down on each side and distort the worm. That can bind it up .....

etDGoeJ.jpg

Many of us dress that ridge down and that eliminates the worm distortion problem .....

5f2Eyrt.jpg

I use 1" Roloc discs and "buff" it away .....

qp6C9N4.jpg

Thanks for all the replies on this one. What I've done is lube the new cable and grease the worm gear, properly adjust the screw and deburred that edged. Now the clutch pull seems reasonable. Once it's on the road, we'll see how it works out.

Last edited:
Back