HEI Ignition Project

Motorbreath22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its not ground breaking stuff (got all my info from mrriggs on this thread)
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/7899/19-junkyard-electronic-ignition
Thought I would post my progress for my HEI ignition anyway. I ran the TCI for a good 3 years then it burned up and I burned another TCI couple months after that. I like the Powerdynamo set up but the idea of getting parts overseas seemed like a possible downside. I take this bike on longer trips so I like the idea of car parts availability.

(...any of you powerdynamo guys know if the stator is replaceable with an OEM of some bike? Or is it exclusively Powerdynamo?)

back to it

Here are some pictures:

I soldered the connections together so i can use the coil pack as a connector/coil mount
20160502_124028.jpg

Carved the bracket out of some 2" angle with the grinder. Then drilled and tapped the mounting holes with M6x1.0
20160515_184013.jpg

Welded it on the bike and painted
20160515_204146.jpg

mock up of the coil under the tank
20160513_144859.jpg

Here is a shot of the coil mounted and the resin poured in the coil pack. I'm sure there is better electronic potting material but thats what I had. I put some aluminum tape on the bottom and side to form up the coil pack then poured epoxy into it.
20160518_200857.jpg

Here is the Hall effect sensor from the 22R toyota distributor. I am going to drill and tap where the red mark is for another screw(4x0.7) the screws that are in the toyota distributor.
20160521_195015.jpg

Thanks for posting. There is more to follow? I'd like to do this someday so will be watching.

Yeah I am still gathering parts. That thread i posted had more detailed info to check out.

I am going to run a mechanical advance for now so i have a bike to ride. But long term I would like to figure out how to use an off the crank sensor instead of the toyota sensor. I have a friend that is interested in helping me make an electronic advance to make it work.

I hooked the HEI and coil up to my TCI bikes pick up coil and got spark(not timed right of course)

I'll see about getting some detailed pics up once I get everything wired up.

I have been running a 4-pin HEI module with Toyota reluctor and Camaro coil for couple of years now. Works great. Thanks to MrRiggs for the reserch! Also built a system to a friends sidecar MX bike with a Mopar reluctor. Works fine but the reluctor is a bit too big to fit the points the housing.

I have been thinking about electronic advance for some time now but have not had the resolve to actually build it. But today I ordered an 8-pin HEI module and an Arduino microcontroller board from ebay. We'll see if that project ever completes. It's been a while since the last time I wrote any code for an uC...

pekka

Yup. Thanks to Mr. Riggs diagrams I even use the points in my distributor to drive a Ford T.F.I module in my valiant. Nice easy and cheap system to get a good hot spark in an old car.

Back