Heiden Tuning Sump oil filter kit Has Anybody Tried?

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have not tried it but it looks like it will work. Me, I just patched up the torn one with JB Weld. If the hole is to big for just the JB Weld make a path out of a beer can. "glue" in place with JB Weld. Seal edges with JB Weld. I have several patched up.
This way when I change oil I just swap a clean one for a dirty one. Having a spare sump plate with the clean filter mounted really speeds things up.
The right side cover filter, having a clean spare to swap out speeds up the oil change too. Drain oil swap dirty for clean, refill with oil and your done. Clean the dirty when you can't ride.
Leo

No I have not, but I've had this other idea milling around in my head.

650 Central has a deep sump kit for racers, http://www.650central.com/, that adds more oil capacity.

But it also moves the filter out of harms way because it lowers it away from the turbulence of the oil flowing around the crank.

My thought would be to cut it in half, getting some of the extra oil capacity, but more importantly moving the filter out of harms way and not having it as deep as he requires for racing purposes.

Just a thought.

One kit would do 2 bikes or possibly 3 if cutting it into 3 would still lower the filter enough.

Attachments

• sump kit.jpg
    sump kit.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 519
I don't think the oil turbulence is what damages the filters. I think it is reving the engine too high while the oil is cold.
If you look you will see that where the filters tear is at the place with minimal support of the mesh. This weak spot is also very close to where oil gets pulled by the oil pump.
The combination of the weak spot, close to oil inlet, oil temp and rpms is what tears the mesh.
Even Mike's new improved filters have the same weak spot and tear in the same place.
To help prevent tears let the bike warm up well before using high rpms. Stay below 2500 or so for the first few miles of a ride.
I do believe a larger oil capacity would help. So the deep sump kit is a good idea.
Leo

I did that mod myself. Mine uses a standard 3/4 by 16 thread oil filter. Went back to the stock filters. The spin on filters get expensive. I also have a right side cover for an oil out let and return that I can plumb to a cooler or external filter.
Leo

Leo, so if You are not using that set up,
Do You still have the sump plate mod?
And while using it were You still changing the oil at or around 1500 miles?

Yes, I still have it around some where. Yes, I still changed oil at 1000 to 1500 miles. It does lube the clutch and transmission.
With the external filter I would go longer. Maybe to 2500 miles. Changing the filter every other oil change.
The sump filter is just to keep big stuff out of the pump, the external being after the pump will catch what the engine won't like. Even there the spin on filter does have a bit of flow restriction. As I recall around 15%. Oil isn't very costly so running the stock filters and frequent changes works for me.
Leo

Based on a brief phone conversation with MMM about the deep sump he offers for racing, IIRC, I got the impression that its purpose is to lower the oil level below the crank, not to add more oil capacity.

650 Central has a deep sump kit for racers, http://www.650central.com/, that adds more oil capacity.

But it also moves the filter out of harms way because it lowers it away from the turbulence of the oil flowing around the crank.

My thought would be to cut it in half, getting some of the extra oil capacity, but more importantly moving the filter out of harms way and not having it as deep as he requires for racing purposes.

Just a thought.

One kit would do 2 bikes or possibly 3 if cutting it into 3 would still lower the filter enough.

Repaired stock filters are working fine for me. I also have repaired MikesXS "improved" filters, lol. In an effort to generate some more spare filter/plate assemblies, I started pulling them out of my parts motors, replacing them with an aluminum blanking plate I made up and an old used gasket .....

FilterPlate.jpg

This should allow me to throw some cheap oil in them while they sit around. One of the motors is an XS1B and I discovered a few interesting things about that filter. First, no magnets !! Apparently Yamaha didn't put them on the early filters .....

XS1SumpFilter.jpg

Second, the filter mounting bolts appear to be drilled for safety wire .....

XS1SumpFilterBolts.jpg

I doubt I'll even repair and use that filter without the magnets but I am already using the drilled bolts. They're just so cool, lol.

I haven't, but I like the looks of the new side filter. It's more compact and less $ than the other one they offer. The sump filter from Heiden looks like it has a lot less screen area. Do you think that would be a problem?

Philip

I haven't, but I like the looks of the new side filter. It's more compact and less $ than the other one they offer. The sump filter from Heiden looks like it has a lot less screen area. Do you think that would be a problem?

Philip

Thats what I am trying to figure out, is this a true replacement that is stronger? What are the pro's and potential con's?

One thing im looking for is that my bike will be my daily driver ,granted I live in FL, so temps are generally warm to hot as balls, but I cannot just let my bike idle forever in the early morning worrying if ill tear the sump filter screen. If this new sump filter is stronger then you could get away with colder starts....which is appealing to me.

I would have to see the new top oil filter next to the finned one to see if its smaller or bigger. Since its not as flat it looked bigger to me..go figure.

I'm using the spin on sump filter, paper element type filter in the clutch cover and a bigger oil pump (+50%) I change oil and filters at 1500klm. Oil and filters are easy to get here and cheap. Had a few oil leak issues early on but since rebuilding my engine all is sweet now.

Attachments

• DSCF2916.jpg
    DSCF2916.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 1,774
Sorry mate, got caught up in the chat, I'd like to know also as the concept is nice, but to me the screen in their picture looks pretty open, doesn't look like it would stop much except nuts and bolts. Have you actually seen one ??

Sorry mate, got caught up in the chat, I'd like to know also as the concept is nice, but to me the screen in their picture looks pretty open, doesn't look like it would stop much except nuts and bolts. Have you actually seen one ??

no worries.

Nope never just was browsing their site and noticed they had a different top oil filter and this sump filter.

I think this product is too new to get much feedback on it yet. I'm going to wait a few months and see.

Just a thought.

So has anyone ever tride the deep sump kit? I would like to know as I have two 650 dirt-trackers. I'm also wondering if it would be in the way of the pipes?

Thanks,
Bryan

Back