Hello everyone.. my question is, Does any body know a way to use a Harley wheel on a XS650 ?

Torin215

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.. my question is, Does any body know of a conversion kit That has an outer diameter of a Harley bearing and the inner diameter of a XS650 axle slot. ? I’m using a Voodoo vintage hardtail mk21 made for the XS650 stock wheel. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Step 1 - determine the outer bearing diameter of your specific HD wheel - might be different side to side.

Step 2 - remember that your XS uses a 20mm rear axle, and the rear bearings on the stock rear wheel are likely different inside and outside diameters to account for an inner flanged spacer that rides on the inside of the sprocket-side bearing between the inner axle sleeve and the bearing.

Step 3 - order a couple bearings that fit the external diameter of the HD wheel, are the same width as the HD bearings (do some research), and have a 20mm inside diameter.

Step 4 - make a steel inner bearing spacer that spans the distance between the inside surfaces of the bearings - this will ensure you don’t overload the bearings when you install the axle and preload it.

Step 5 - figure out your chainline (again, do some research) and brake alignment, which will guide you toward the width of the external axle spacers you need for both sides. You can either cut down your stockers, or find someone to turn you new ones. Steel tubing with .805 ID doesn’t come in very many wall thicknesses, so you may have to get creative.

Once that’s all done, you should be able to press in your new bearings and spacers, then install as you would any other wheel. Good luck in your quest!

I had my XS650 Axle turned to 3/4 inch and used a Fatboy rear wheel. Mr. Lucky's has the sprockets you need. After that its just spacing. I bought a 3/4 spacer kit from Low Brow. Has a variety of different thickness spacers.
I picked the one I needed to get the chain straight on the left hand side. After that I just measured it to get the other side. I'm not 100% sure what sizes I used off the top of my head.

So how did you get the 3/4 to fit properly in the xs stock gusset? I have the hardtail from voodoo and it uses the stock size like the original frame would. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me I appreciate it.

It should fit right through. I used 3/4 lollipop adjusters. The 1mm difference between the axle and the axle plates shouldn't matter. Mine and many others has been fine.

Harley wheels on both 3/4 axle on both. White bike has 2001 sportster front end

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 161
It should fit right through. I used 3/4 lollipop adjusters. The 1mm difference between the axle and the axle plates shouldn't matter. Mine and many others has been fine.
Do you think I would be able to buy a 3/4 Harley axle as long as it’s the same length ?

Yeah that would work. Length is all dependent on what kind of axle adjusters. I had tried a harley axle but it was too long for the style of adjusters I was using and didn't want to use any extra spacers. To each their own.

Back