Hello from Kansas!

Augie

Augie
Reaction score
Greetings fellow XS 650ers. I'm a 20y/o TIG Welder from Central Kansas, lived here all my life. I caught the motorcycle bug when I was in early high school. Scratched up enough money by the end of senior year to buy and build a CB 750. It wasn't anything special, lots of cobbled togetherness but it sure was cool being the only kid my age on a motorcycle in the whole town, especially one I had taken apart down the bare frame!

I picked up a 78 650 about half a year ago and have been lurking here since that time. The reason I bought one, is simply the picture below. Enough said. I then searched all over and under the internet for pictures of that specific bike. It belongs to a guy at a shop in Colorado called Three Pence. He shreds the thing and I love it, so that's what I'm fixing to do with mine when she's finished.

5b197ce7-4589-4da0-a917-727b006c7333_zpskm4pih8n.jpg

Here's what I started with and where I'm at.

IMG_3151_zps8kex0jcr.jpg

R1 front end on and a stainless battery box fabbed up. Later changed the route I'm going so its now up for grabs if someone wants it.
IMG_3541_zpsg9l6my8e.jpg

IMG_3639_zpsuhziwgrv.jpg

IMG_3641_zpsegvqe7am.jpg

IMG_3642_zpsr42he4vm.jpg

She makes a nice lamp stand if I do say so myself.
IMG_3665_zpstgcybhe7.jpg

IMG_3706_zps6mgagxtp.jpg

:thumbsup:

What you have done looks good. You can toss a lot of money into these old bikes. If you just want to toss dirt. A good rebuild # 1 Shell cam some good RD springs and some head work. The rephrase is for sissy chopper riders who can't handle vibes.

Thanks for the kind words and advice scabber. I'm also looking to ride this thing long distance on old highways and such, along with thrashing in the dirt. After quite a bit of research the rephase sounds like a no brainer, plus I have the motor this far apart so why not?? Maybe I'll throw in some head work too while I'm at it per your recomendation!

Hi Augie,
looking good so far and don't let the naysayers get to you.
Rephase is a good thing as it lets you use the engine's full power band without getting your fillings shaken loose.

It's a no brainer $600 + $90 shipping for the rephrase will get you less vibration. Like I said you can toss a lot of money in these old bikes.

It's a no brainer $600 + $90 shipping for the rephrase will get you less vibration. Like I said you can toss a lot of money in these old bikes.

Hi scabber,
does that US$690 include the rephased camshaft?
What with the increased shipping and our 69cent dollar that's ~ Cdn$1200.
I'm almost tempted.

The cam is included in the price. Leo and I did a couple of cranks 1 stock and a rephrase. A harbor freight 20 ton press was $100. I made the crank fixture no cost. Not that hard a job if you are mechanically inclined and have the tools.

+ another US$300 for a 277 ignition and coils, if the engine has TCI its another $140 for the Advance rod, Advance assembly, bushings and pins

Many a 277 re-phase owner wouldn't do it again. The vibrations are still there and affects the hands. It is in a different frequency and doesn't show up visibly, but still there

Started in on final assembly. Still need to purchase rear shocks, everything else to make a roller is either a the tire shop or in the living room.
IMG_20161130_185423_zpswubfw7xv.jpg

A view of my tiny shop.
IMG_4338_zpsumspp5m0.jpg

Last edited:
I think I fixed them. Also, back story on the engine. A member on this forum had to sell his project, so my cousin and I drove down to San Antonio on a Friday morning a few weeks ago, and drove straight back. Only stopped to catch a couple hour snooze in a gas station parking lot. I slept on the bike lift in the bed that came with the engine. Roughly 1400 miles and 20+ of driving (due to traffic jams in TX). Good times.

Back