Hello from PEI

SOTS33

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been reading through this site for a couple of months now, reading a lot of stuff for Newbies. I was intending on buying a bike next spring, after I took the Beginners Course... however, things change in weird wonderful ways :D

I received a text from a buddy while at work asking if I wanted to buy a bike for a couple hundred, ran well, just not used a lot, guy needed the space in his garage, that kind of situation. So after a phone call I almost bought a bike without seeing it haha. A couple of days later after I could arrange a trailer to go pick it up (all being well of course, and it was) I ended up buying an '84 Yamaha XS 650 for a steal of 400$ in great running condition. I work for the sellers Nephew and have known him for a bit, and he has a great reputation, wouldn't try to pull anything kind of guy.

Safe to say I'm pretty excited to have something to look after this winter, and get it ready for the spring.:thumbsup:

Anyways... just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to browsing through everything I can to learn about my new to me bike.

Here's a pic of my boy on it after I got it home... Don't mind the pile of bricks in the background lol... a small emergency renovation before the snow flies lol

Mack

Attachments

• Yamaha 650.jpg
    Yamaha 650.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 265
That is one nice score ya got there! That bad boy is ready for the road! If the tires and brakes look as good as the rest of the bike, I'd run some "Seafoam" in the gas on some trips with it. A good tune-up and fluid change is always a good thing with unkown bikes. The best $20 spent on a bike is the factory service manual. Have fun with your new bike.

Thanks guys, I don't have big plans yet for it... give it a good cleaning and polishing... Take it in and get it tuned, and a once over... Basically I think all I'm going to do with it, is take off the shield, saddle bags, and back rest... get a bullet fairing, new mirrors, and I'd like to change the handle bars with a black Drag set or something similar to the Drag but slightly raised (this is a maybe right now however) , and a set of new tires...

Basically just easy cosmetic changes, add ons, subtractions for now lol

It's absolutely amazing how much of an aftermarket there is for these bikes... I'm really enjoying just researching the potential gear haha

welcome, good score. Unless the tune up guy really really knows xs650's you will be better off learning to do it yourself. Read the carb guide and the guys that wrote it are on here to help with any problems.

Great, thanks... I do have every intention of learning this stuff... guess 6 months of winter should suffice haha

Drag bars are the pits and introduce a whole host of cable routing problems. You're much better off with a low rise bar like the Euro bend (I highly recommend that one).

"Take it in and get it tuned" Wish I had that kind of money. Most shops around here that will even look at an old bike is pretty hard to find. The $75 per hour shop fees are not fun either.
Get a repair manual. Read it. Several times even. That, a few hand tools and the help of us here and you can do it all your self.
Leo

We will have to start a PEI chapter. :D

Welcome to the site, great stuff here.

I believe there is one more here from PEI.

Back