Hello Need Help with new project!

mattrich759

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 78 xs650 for a winter project. What's the first steps to get this thing running it came with the mikesxs basic ignition but can't seem to find good instructions on the install anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm a newb to the chop scene have done a GS850 turned out nicely.

Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 291
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 298
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 291
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 320
  • bike 5.jpg
    bike 5.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 294
I will suggest you do not use that battery charger as a power source, use any 12 volt battery; Car Motorcycle, garden tractor. A charger like that can generate some serious voltage "spikes" that may damage electronic components.

In the one pic you show a points coil. You say you have a Mike's XS basic ignition, do you mean a Pamco? The Pamco doesn't use the points coils.
Leo

Yes I've figured that out a bit clueless on the pamco stuff. Think I'll just redo it with New points and coils it's not getting any fire.

The Pamco is a very good upgrade. Check out the website. www.yamahaxs650.com
It has install instructions for each Pamco set up. Has pics of how to mount several choices of coils.
Not a hard install, just be sure you have the wiring right before powering it up.
Leo

To go with out a battery you need to swap the stock charging system to a PMA.
Depending on the ignition you have, you may need to swap the stock ignition for an aftermarket ignition.
If your bike has points you can keep the points. If you have the TCI then you will need to swap it for a aftermarket ignition.
Do a bit of research on this site and you will find all the answers to your questions.
Leo

those are like hens teeth nowadays, can never find them at the yards anymore. cool chopper, looks like it is going to be fun!

What petcocks are you guys using just regular on/off gravity fed with a tee to both carbs or seperate one's?

Hi mattrich,
gravity feed works OK, tees depends on what you got.
My '84 came with one gas tap and it's carbs have a hard tee that joins the float bowls together so one line is all it needed.
Then I swapped to an earlier tank that had two gas taps so now I got two tees but one is factory so it don't count.
The least cost solution to your iggy problem is to run points with a battery.
If you are going kick only you can use a really small battery that can be more easily hidden.

Installed the pamco changed the coil and it's ALIVE!!! Muh hahaha . anyway what's a good source or starting point on the drip controls need clutch lever and cable as well as throttle tube and cable.

Back