Helmets

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
In Delaware you do not need to wear a helmet, but you must have a DOT approved helmet on your bike while riding. If you get stopped and don't have a helmet on your bike...uh oh! Not DOT approved...that's worse. I wear a helmet though. But recently I went helmet shopping.
I currently have a full face, 3/4, and a polo style. I want to get a skull cap style (small round one just on top). I like the others, but want to try the skull cap. However, I noticed that a DOT approved helmet has a bunch of padding obviously. Which makes the skull cap look a little silly. I have no vanity issues. Socks with sandles...all for it. Jorts (jean shorts)...love 'em. I could give a rats ass, but when I looked in the mirror it made my head look like it now had a reservoir tip. It was pretty bad. It also felt top heavy. Not having sides that come over the ear or somewhat around the back of the head makes it very strange. The padding makes it sit quite high. I instantly went from 5' 5" to 5' 10". They do make a skull cap that sits lower on your head, but it is not DOT approved.
So my question is what are you wearing? Anyone know of a DOT approved helmet that will not make me look ridiculous? And that helmet did, believe me.

In my area they call those condom caps lol. My buddy is an E.R. nurse and he see's alot of motorcycle accidents and everytime someone is wearing a half-helmet there face never looks the same again. That made me switch to a full face and I have a 3/4 with a shield on it. But I have not found a half helmet that looks good, they all make you look goofy.

Hey, nothing says "bad ass" better than LL Bean sandles, socks, jorts, and a Wal-Mart t-shirt that says, "Sun Kitten" with a pastel picture of a kitty on it.

I usually wear my full face Icon helmet, but thought about getting the half as well.

Thought I was kidding huh?
I live at the beach so I wear this and laugh at the guys driving mini-vans packed full of unhappy kids on their expensive, miserable vaction while they are getting screamed at, "Turn here...I want a...can we go to..." I might look stupid to some, but I'm on my bike without a care in the world. I bet all those guys would wear this if they could, "just get the hell out of this mini-van!!!"

Attachments

• sun kitten.jpg
    sun kitten.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 257
I rock the Gmax 68s. I love this helmet to death, its very comftorable. It also has eleventy-billion vents and it has LED lights in the rear that blink which I really like at night. Mine was $100 and it came with a clear and smoked shield.

gm68white_LRG.jpg

I have eye problems, so I just switched to a Shoei Modular (flip front) helmet. I love to ride without a helmet, butI have spent too much time visiting Buds in Rehab with head injuries......Two of My close Friends will never be the same, and i lost 3 Friends last year, when they hit antelope in Colorado, none were wearing helmets. I wouldnt bother with the brain scoop helmets, all it will do is keep the big pieces close to the body. Just My opinion.

One of the most effective ads I have ever seen was back in the 70's for Bell Helmets. The ad said:
"If You have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet"

My buddy has a bad ass $400.00 helmet. He doesn't ride anymore though. Not since that jerk off in a giant diesel Dodge with those stupid stacks coming out of the bed ran over him. Snapped his neck and spine like a twig. Idiot was too busy blowing black smoke out of those pipes from red light to red light then seeing the bikes stopped in front of him. I guess that's some cool game they play when they're not on broke back mountain. I always wear a helmet and usually my full-face, but I'd rather be dead then paralyzed from the neck down.

Last edited:
I just picked up a new Vega Summit II. It's full face with the flip up front so I take my glasses on and off easily while I'm out and about. It replaces a similar BMW helmet that had the padding finally deteriorate after so many years.
I also have a cheaper copy of the old style Bell 3/4 open face that I grab if I am just taking a quick test ride down the street and don't want to mess with the full face. It is OK but I don't consider it one to trust for every day use. My brain is more valuable than that (although some may argue that point)

I like my 3/4, but have a little trouble with my sun glasses. But my full face has a smoke shield which I need to change. Probably the only reason I've ridden to work that past several days is the protection the full face gives me against this frozen air.

Why do they make you have a helmet with you if they don't make you wear it?

Hopefully I'll never have to depend something between my face and a car, but my buddy took a bad hit to the head on a spill years back. He still wears the same model. So do I.

IMG_1779.JPG

Reflector tape makes a huge difference!

They make amazing helmets for the price. I've been meaning to buy a more updated version though, as my g/f has grown fond of mine.

I have reflector tape on mine too. I want to get some of what they call "retro reflective" stuff. It's the material they use for the piping trim on kids backpacks that you can see a block away. It reflects back at all angles or something, so it's much brighter.

In Delaware you do not need to wear a helmet, but you must have a DOT approved helmet on your bike while riding. If you get stopped and don't have a helmet on your bike...uh oh! Not DOT approved...that's worse.

Geez Littlebill31 Delaware sure has some strange DMV and DOT laws.
Too bad George Washington didnt cross the Delaware in 2011. He wouldn't have needed a boat, he could have walked across on all the bullshit :laugh:

Back