Help a new guy install a pamco

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, I just got my Basic High Output Pamco Ignition to install on my mainly stock 75 xs 650, and I just have a few quick questions.

1. the instructions say don't apply power till installation is complete. Does this mean to disconnect the battery?
2. It says to remove the two coils and condensers. I imagine the coils are the cylinders with the spark plug wires coming out of them, but where are the condensers located and what do they look like?
3. I've heard recommendations of installing a fuse. Thoughts? amperage and where to put it?

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty new to electrical work and motorcycles in general.

Smiles

smiles79,

1. That would be best, but pulling the fuse will do the same thing.
2. Here is a pic of the condensers. There are two of them and they are in the same package.

26-5114.jpg

The condensers are located in the upper motor mount near the frame cross bar. You can leave them there as long as you disconnect and don't use them.

3. The 7 1/2 A fuse should be wired in between the wire from the kill switch and the coil terminal that also feeds the red wire to the PAMCO. Suggest that you lengthen the wires to the fuse holder so you can put it under the seat for easy access.

Got it installed and works great!

How should the plugs be gapped with the high output version?

Try using 0.035" gap. Thats what I use with my Accel coil (with a Pamco), and it gives great power and excellent gas consumption.

While we're talking spark plugs, don't put anything on the threads; turn them in using your fingers, so you don't cross thread them. Torque to 14 ft-lbs.

It's a 75,000 volt coil by the way, I don't know if that's different than yours and maybe I would gap mine different than you gap yours?

My only experience with an XS650 is using an Accel coil. That's why I said "try" 0.035". Drive the bike for a while..................see how it starts, see how it runs, look at the colour of the plugs.....................you will soon know if that works or if you need to make another adjustment.

Many things on these bikes require adjustment based on how the engine/bikes runs going down the road.

A nice fat blue spark is what most lads like to see.

Attachments

• Hot Spark.JPG
    Hot Spark.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 238
Pete,

In the instructions it also says that the red wire on the ignition pickup can be wired straight to the red and white wire correct? I have the two open females from the red/white so I was going to hook it up straight to one of those, and have one from the coil going to it as well. In that case the 7.5 amp fuse would be in line going towards the pamco, correct? Or do I need two, one for the coil as well?

Thanks

pslaughter,

It's the coil that needs the protection as it will short out if the ignition is left on with the engine not running. So, if you are only going to wire the fuse to either the coil or the PAMCO, then wire it to the coil. The stock wiring has two red / white wires, one for each of the stock coils, so use one for the coil with the fuse and the other for the PAMCO.

Back