Help a newbie on a road trip!

stereobongoes

Reaction score
Hi all,

In a few weeks I'm looking at doing my first road trip to pick up a newly purchased '77 650D in Chicago and ride it back to my home in Brooklyn.

I have an '80 XSG (Special II), my first XS but not my first bike. Still, I'm a newbie. I've been riding it for a couple of years but haven't put many miles on it because I travel for work and am frequently out of town for most of our too short season here in NYC. It also took my whole first season with it to get the charging system sorted but that's another saga...

I know there are a few reasons not to do such a trip with my minimal experience on a bike I don't yet know but that's why I'm reaching out here.

First I'd like some advice on mapping a route. I want to get home quickly but I'd rather avoid the interstate highways as much as possible. I'm hoping for two days of riding (Chicago to Cleveland, then Cleveland to BK) but it's 860 mi so maybe 3 days.

Second and most importantly, I'm wondering how many forum members are on or near that route just in case I get into a jam. I am not Mr Fix It. The bike is coming from a dealer so I can assume certain things have been checked and that it's tuned and yada yada but I'd feel better if I know who to call if I break down in Cleveland.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!
-SB

Wow. 860 miles on an unknown bike. Brass ball award goes to if you make it. Good luck
Haha!
I don't have to, I could park it at my cousin's in Milwaukee and deal with it later. And I wouldn't even consider such a thing if it was a $1200 bike from Craigslist. This one has a 750 kit, VM34s, newish custom exhaust, custom paint. I think it's been cared for. The salesman vouched for the mech that did the 750 kit, and the fact that it's coming from a reputable Yamaha dealer tells me that it's been tuned and wrenched recently so I have some trust that it's as reliable as any 30 yr old bike would be. But maybe I'm just naive.

I'm much more concerned about condition of the the roads, the truckers and the wind in the mountains.

Which is why I'm asking for advice on routes! :thumbsup:

Me, I'd rent or borrow a truck or hook up a trailer and go fetch the thing.
But I'm a cautious old age pensioner.
Good luck with the ride.

Getting out of Chicago and around the bottom of lake Michigan alive is the trick, the rest of the ride will be cake.
GPS, you really want a GPS. have a cord set, to bolt onto the battery with you, a fused battery tender plug works well. I sure hope this beast still has a battery type electrical system.

Hopefully you can post from your phone as you go, we'd love to "follow along".

Getting out of Chicago and around the bottom of lake Michigan alive is the trick, the rest of the ride will be cake.
GPS, you really want a GPS. have a cord set, to bolt onto the battery with you, a fused battery tender plug works well. I sure hope this beast still has a battery type electrical system.

Hopefully you can post from your phone as you go, we'd love to "follow along".

Yep still has a battery. I have a bluetooth helmet thing, I use google maps on my phone but that always puts me on the interstate. But yes, the charger sounds essential. And a rainproof place for the phone while it's charging.

I may chicken out and store it in Milwaukee til I can truck it back to BK but I'll def post if I do the big trip. Thanks:thumbsup:

With Mapquest you can pick "avoid highways" and it puts you on two lane roads where possible. I really don't like GPS but if that's your bag....go for it. I like to print out my directions (have copies stored in a dry spot) and have them on my tank bag in plain view (IMO a tank bag is a must for travel) and follow that up with a good map...but I know I'm old and behind times.

A charged cell phone, a basic tool kit with some spares (couple of plugs, clutch cable or cable repair kit) oh and at 800 miles + you "might" have to adjust the drive chain....a roadside service agreement is always handy. AAA or something like that (the first year is pretty cheap...I use Allstate) GOOD rain gear is always a plus.

Plan your stops. Gas stops, lunch, over night stays, it gives you a goal and sort of a schedule which makes it easier to NOT run out of gas. Give yourself and the bike a break (take a long sit down lunch) and make sure you do a good walk around the bike at EVERY stop.

IF you make it......it'll be a long time before you forget it. If you don't....that's just life.

I take my bikes (newest bike I have is the XS650B) on longish trips (1000 miles +-) every chance I get and LOVE it...but you gota be the kind of person that likes to live a bit on the edge and are ready for anything.

My nickname on another site is "Pokey" because I like to take my time and enjoy the view...the speed limit is an abstract subject to most of my friends. On my 1967 BSA B44VR (yep that's a whopping 441 cc single) with a 1972 Velorex sidecar attached....I can still easily do 400+ miles a day. The longest trip I do with it runs a little under 1500 miles round trip. That's to Mike G's One State Mountain Ride in Northern PA.

The bad part about this is....IMO....even if the bike is coming out of a Yamaha shop....it's still an unknown. But heck, when you ride these old bikes there's always a chance something's gona break.

If you have the time......(factor in sitting on the side of the road waiting for somebody to come get you).....I'd go for it. Like I said, if you make it...it'll be a long time before you forget it.

Good luck with which ever way you decide to do it.

Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Yep still has a battery. I have a bluetooth helmet thing, I use google maps on my phone but that always puts me on the interstate. But yes, the charger sounds essential. And a rainproof place for the phone while it's charging.

I may chicken out and store it in Milwaukee til I can truck it back to BK but I'll def post if I do the big trip. Thanks:thumbsup:
Greetings from Sandusky Ohio! I started out yesterday afternoon from Woodstock IL and made it to Elkhart IN with many stops for coffee, gas, to pee, rest... Tonight I stop at a friend's place in Cleveland and tomorrow I'll go to State College PA. I'm taking the interstate all the way. Boring, yes, but I don't have time for sight seeing, gotta be in Brooklyn Thursday night to see my daughter. I'll post pics if anyone cares and if I figure out how

"GPS, you really want a GPS."

BS. Never had, nor needed one in my whole life. I still possess a sense of adventure that belongs in motorcycling. Where's the fun without a wrong turn now and then?

Waiting on pics :popcorn:

My new as-yet-unnamed friend. A '77 that's bored to 750, has VM 34s and fake commando mufflers. And brand new brass swing arm bushings thank god! And modern tires. My '80 has an Avon on the front and I hate taking it on the freeway cause the groved pavement makes it wobble. It's for sale...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 243
I think that riding the Interstate on long trips with an unknown bike is better.

1. Clutch cable is not used. (No remedy for a broken clutch cable)
2. Carbs are off idle. (Plugged primaries are not a problem)
3. Battery could be dead, but the engine will keep running.
4. No oncoming traffic in case of headlight failure. (Cops are not going to cross the median for that)
5. Fouled plugs will keep working at higher RPM's.
6. Better gas mileage, fewer stops.
7. Brakes are rarely used. (fewer if any panic stops)
8. Faster time to destination.

When you do stop, stop at a gas station / hot dog stand on a hill so you can roll down hill to start in case the clutch cable is broken or the battery is dead.

Note: Batteries are never completely dead. There is always just enough juice to power the alternator rotor, but not the starter.

"GPS, you really want a GPS."

BS. Never had, nor needed one in my whole life. I still possess a sense of adventure that belongs in motorcycling. Where's the fun without a wrong turn now and then?

Amen to that brother:thumbsup:

No GPS for me. I use good old fashion maps. I go on motorcycle trips because I enjoy the adventure, and if I get lost, so what, its just part of the adventure. Just last week I made an 1126 km trip, which included the Icefield Parkway.

The first day was about 476 kms. The second day was about 650 kms, and guess what, I got lost in downtown Edmonton. A pretty young lady, working in a library, gave me directions. You don't get to meet sweet young gals, if you use a GPS :D.

Edit: Pamcopete....................I carry a spare clutch cable attached to the frame under the tank. Also a spare Pamco sensor
plate, which I doubt I will need.

Last edited:
Ah once you try GPS you'll never go back. In the van we still carry an atlas cause for the big pic that little screen sucks. BUT you are more likely go wondering off on little lanes and byways if you know you can easily "route back" to civilization. Bonus fun is shortest route traveling. You be amazed the little lanes you end up traveling via shortest route. I have started using MapFactor Navigator on my phone and it is better than the Garmin I had. (you down load the maps to the SC card, no cell service needed. Just tried it on an MC the other day and was clappy as a ham. Slight relevance to thread; put 30 or 40 on the 73 today she's running fine!

PS
You've never been REALLY lost til the GPS suddenly goes blank, a true warethefukerwe situation..

Back