HELP, Can’t Torque down PMA flywheel

Tiger1827

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I’m Installing a PMA on my 79 XS650 , when I try to torque down the flywheel it just turns over the motor and I can’t get it to tighten up, what can I do to keep it from moving , thanks

A few feet of rope that will fit into the spark plug hole when the piston is coming up on the compression stroke will do the trick...
tim

Thanks guys for the ideas , I got a strap wrench from habor freight , and got it to torque down , thanks again

I have an air impact wrench. It has several torque settings. I start with the lightest, hold the Flywheel with one hand and tighten it with the impact. If that doesn't seem tight enough I move the setting up one, hit it again.
At some point it will be about right.
If I want an exact torque then I put the bike in gear, Hold the brake with one foot then use a torque wrench. If I can't hold the brake that way I can use a 2x4 cut off in a wedge shape, push the rear brake pedal down and either jam it down with the wedge.
The same procedure works for the front sprocket too.
Leo

Thanks guys for the ideas , I got a strap wrench from habor freight , and got it to torque down , thanks again

Hi Tiger,
the good news, you got it tightened.
The bad news, you drank the XS650 version of Jonestown Koolade and you are stuck with a PMA

Yes, you'll probably get lots of practice taking it on and off, lol.

^True that, or at least taking it off.
Sticking a rag in the sprocket works but try to make it the rear, else it can force the chain down into the rubber on the shifter guard and cut it. With non-spoke wheels you can lay something through the wheel and let it sit against the swing arm to block everything.

Back