Help choosing pamco kit

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to redo my ignition on my 78 xs650 special. Need some recommendations on the best kit for the money from mikesxs. Was looking at this kit:

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0913.html

Will that give me everything to throw out my points and mechanical advancer? It has the auto advance rod. Is it necessary?

On a side note, I've seen on the desc of the ignition coil that if you leave the ignition on without running the engine it voids the warranty. Why is that and for how long?

Does your bike have a points setup (look under the left cover)? If so, you wont need a new advance rod and could use the kit that doesnt inc that - save some cash. Otherwise, yes, that kit will mean no points and no advance.

I cant help with the coil burnout question. ive left it on before, maybe 5 or 10 min and it's been ok, but ive read posts by other people whose coils have fried.

The copper cup that replaces the advance weights has had some problems. Mikes looks to still be selling the kits with them. I would buy the Pamco and e-advance unit from Pamcopetes site and the other components from Mikes.

Pete has sent the new billet cap to Mike's so they can replace all the copper caps with the billet caps.
The original Pamco if left on can power the coil and overheat it if left on. The E-advancer has as part of the programing a control circuit that shuts off the coil if the power is left on. When it senses the engine turning over it turns the coil back on.
It also has an over voltage protection circuit. It will survive a brief high voltage spike. But it can fail if put under prolonged over voltage. He added this circuit to help with poor PMA function.
All these improvements are discussed on Pete's ignition site.
Now if you leave a plug wire off and try starting it can lead to burning the coil out. This will take more than just one or two turns of the engine. Some coils are more sensitive to this than others.
A low voltage won't arc inside the coil. A higher output coil say 75kv Is more apt to arc than the stock 15kv coil.
It's not hard to check your plug wires to be on and tight before you power up.
On any of the points bikes. you can use the kit #14-0903 and add the coil of your choice.
The kit #14-0910 is the same kit as the #14-0903 but it comes with a coil, plug wires and caps.
Either of these are what you need.
Leo

Back