1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Help fill in the gas gap.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gcraay, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

upload_2017-1-22_20-52-20.png
    upload_2017-1-22_20-52-38.png

So I have this triumph tank that's in excellent shape, and I really like it. But, I need ideas filling the gap. It's about 4-5 inches as seen. I will be able to take up some space with the seat, but I don't want a big ass seat just to fill the space. I was thinking maybe a space for the tool pouch, but...I don't know. any help will be appreciated.

2. resto

resto XS650 Addict

How about a skull of some sort? BTW, what year and model Triumph did that tank come from?

skull.JPG

3. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

4. resto

resto XS650 Addict

Nice looking tank.

5. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

You know how trials bikes have kind of a lift in the front? maybe something similar

6. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

Uh, no. You have any pics?

7. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

8. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

Oh, duh, thought you were referencing some vintage bike. Okay, that could work well thanks.

9. scott s

scott s XS650 Junkie

This guy has some fun to watch videos. In several of them, he shows how he builds up the front of the seat to conform to the tank. Here's one with an example.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  10. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorn Gang Member Top Contributor

Excellent Video scott s, loads of ideas there!!

Gcraay, any chance of a photo with the seat resting in position? If you drop the seat in then it will be easier to visualise the size and shape needed to fill the space. Your idea of a small tool kit sounds great - perhaps a barrel or half barrel shape wrapped in leather or sprayed to match the tank, or a crescent moon shape where the points go either side of the tank and the curve meets with the seat. But the shape used in Gcraay's video is simplistic and quite smart - Perhaps a bit higher and wider for your tank and the seat would hide the opening to the tool kit.

If you search various shapes with the word "pottery" you will find many 3D ideas from the art world.

11. Exploding Coffin Emporium

Exploding Coffin Emporium Support your local titty bar

I like resto's skull idea, it'll really make someone think twice about straddling your bike, maybe even a sign on the skull that says "wanna loose a dick, give it a kick"

Paul Sutton likes this.
  12. resto

resto XS650 Addict

If not the whole skull, maybe just the mouth.........

alien teeth.JPG

13. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi resto.
    not a replica of the head from the monster in Alien or indeed, nothin' at all that's got teeth in it.
    The nuts it chews off in a emergency stop might be yours, eh?
    Something resilient and yielding would be far more appropriate, considering where it's located?

theDQG likes this.
  14. resto

resto XS650 Addict

Probably not a good idea to Armor All the seat with that one.............

15. willis

willis XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Scott that was a great video to watch. Very skilled craftsman, But it killed me to see him use those cheap electrical connectors in the wiring.

16. Exploding Coffin Emporium

Exploding Coffin Emporium Support your local titty bar

IMG_0738.JPG I'm really racking the brain on this one, have a sketch pad in front of me shit, trophy 250 geometry :umm:

17. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

Sorry no seat made yet, just that white foam.
    I think I'm gonna try shaping in a foam mock seat and then I'll post pics.

18. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

The pic you have has the seat at a bit of an angle. I'm looking to keep it straight.......maybe.
    Their backbone angles up more. I'm going to try a mock foam seat former, I'll post pics.

19. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

I'm married, I don't use them anymore.

20. Gcraay

Gcraay XS650 Addict

Thanks a lot, I like that idea. I would have left the metal exposed and polished as a break between tank and seat. But that looked good.