Help finding a part number for Tacho - please

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 77D, 12/76, 711371. I currently have a tacho with a single light in it - High Beam and my rear brake does not have the lining sensor fitted - and never did (no provision for it).
My current Tacho is a little dodgy so I jumped at the chance to buy a OEM in the box new tacho. This new tacho has the Brake Lining Light and the connector for it and the box says 1T3-83540-00.
I have studied the threads in this forum and know that the brake lining light only appeared on early 77D (thanks 650Skull) and some 77D had the wiring and sensor fitted to the rear brake backing plate (thanks 5Twins and Mailman).
My question is I cannot find this part number listed anywhere - I have taken forum members advice and put it into google and CMSNL and Partszilla only give 3 other part numbers (1J7-83540-00, 3G0-83540-00, 2G6-83540-00) and my Parts Catalogues the same. However all those part number descriptions/illustrations show the extra electrical connection for the brake lining light.
Also - some electrical wiring diagrams, including the one in my genuine Yamaha Service Manual, show the extra electrical connection.
Have I purchased the correct Tacho (I dont mind that is has the extra brake lining light) that was fitted to 77D models with the brake lining sensor.
I would be more comfortable if I could find this part number and it said it belonged to 77D.
Is it possible that because it was a feature that was discontinued within the 77D model, that the parts catalogues never caught up with it, somehow.
Hope you guys can shed some light on it for me - Kind Regards Ray.
P1030713.JPG

It does seem that a 78E Standard tachometer is just what you are looking for. These pics are of just that as an example.
Cheers -R

Attachments

• 20200522_092334.jpg
    20200522_092334.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201206_211747.jpg
    20201206_211747.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 123
From a parts manual, this has been cropped

This is for the 2 part #18 for the electrical light sockets for the pre and post 77D Tacometer

Also Tachometer part #;s for the different Taco's.
77D-78E-79F Taco-Spedo parts list.jpg

IT3-83520-00 is the part # for the Tachometer that has the brake-lining light in it. As per your new acquisition

IJ7-83540-00 is after the removal of the Brake-lining censer

Here is the full page with the Engine #'s when the change took affect
77D Taco-Spedo parts list01 01.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of thanks Skull - I must of googled for an hour trying to find that part number - can you tell me or guide me to the parts list/cataloque that you found it in.
I have got 2 parts lists and both fail to show it.
If I dont end up using it, do you think it will still have value because of the brake lining component. I thought it was a good opportunity to buy it as it is OEM and still in the box and brand new.
Thanks Again Skull, I appreciate your response.
Regards Ray.

I bought some volt meter lights from Gammatronix, (good review of the voltmeter), had the idea to mount them in the gauge. From 76 to about 78/79 the gauge housing has the provision for several lights on the bottom. On your new gauge you can see on the bottom of the case, between the 2 lights, (headlight/brake-lining), where it hasn't been drilled out, (on the 76 they used that center one for the headlight and the gauge had 3 warning lights in it).

These little Voltmeters are programmable and it would fit perfectly in the gauge. Could remove the brake-lining lens and mount the Volt meter there. I have thought about making a new provision in the rev-counter using the spare hole and drilling the face plate to accommodate the voltmeter.............need to program it before mounting it as it will be sealed in the rev counter. Also need to remove the bezel to get at the face plate.

A how to here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/70-83-...damper-replacement-replace-face-decals.52013/

Done properly there is no damage to the bezel........kinda hard to do it to a NOS gauge.......practice on an old one first

Thanks Again Skull - yes I can see where there are blanks not drilled out for extra lights.
With reference to the engine numbers where the change occurred - how come it has 7 digits e.g.7040015
Regards Ray.

no, its not a typo..........Looking at the 77D rear wheels brake plate it quotes the same engine no with another digit making it an 8 digit #..........Yamaha thing, whatever, how they do what they do.

Looking at Biker.net the File shows the 2 part #'s for the brake plate.........

Attachments

• 77-78-79-D-E-F- parts  Manualt60 60.jpg
    77-78-79-D-E-F- parts Manualt60 60.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 132
Thanks Skull - I can now see where the part number 1J7 relates to. Looking at your Model ID post, it doesnt list a model with a 1J7 part number.
The 8 digits is a mystery - my best attempt at that note would be "up to engine number 704001 use "1T3" brake plate, which would be the brake plate that contains the lining sensor to match the Tacho with the lining light.
Many Thanks - I have saved all the info you have sent me.
Regards Ray.

I have a 77D, 12/76, 711371. I currently have a tacho with a single light in it - High Beam and my rear brake does not have the lining sensor fitted - and never did (no provision for it).
My current Tacho is a little dodgy so I jumped at the chance to buy a OEM in the box new tacho. This new tacho has the Brake Lining Light and the connector for it and the box says 1T3-83540-00.
I have studied the threads in this forum and know that the brake lining light only appeared on early 77D (thanks 650Skull) and some 77D had the wiring and sensor fitted to the rear brake backing plate (thanks 5Twins and Mailman).
My question is I cannot find this part number listed anywhere - I have taken forum members advice and put it into google and CMSNL and Partszilla only give 3 other part numbers (1J7-83540-00, 3G0-83540-00, 2G6-83540-00) and my Parts Catalogues the same. However all those part number descriptions/illustrations show the extra electrical connection for the brake lining light.
Also - some electrical wiring diagrams, including the one in my genuine Yamaha Service Manual, show the extra electrical connection.
Have I purchased the correct Tacho (I dont mind that is has the extra brake lining light) that was fitted to 77D models with the brake lining sensor.
I would be more comfortable if I could find this part number and it said it belonged to 77D.
Is it possible that because it was a feature that was discontinued within the 77D model, that the parts catalogues never caught up with it, somehow.
Hope you guys can shed some light on it for me - Kind Regards Ray.View attachment 185499
My 75 has the brake lining light

From 74-77 they had the brake lining warning censer..........When they discontinued the censer they just hacked off the censer bracket on the brake plate for starters. 5twins has posted a pic of this.

Yes, sometime during the '77 model's production run, the switch was eliminated. Apparently Yamaha had a big pile of the switch type brake plates so they continued using them. As Skull noted, they simply hacked off the bracket for the switch wiring and didn't drill and tap the switch hole anymore. See post #1 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/650-rear-drum-brake-plates.51046/

In '78, they came out with a whole new casting, a cleaned up version without the switch mounting areas.

Back