Help! Ground wire inside stock 1981 turn signal switch?

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I had to take apart my turn signal to re-solder the three contact wires. In my haste...I can't remember which screw the ground wire is supposed to connect to. Can someone help? If you have a picture, there will be many thanks! 1981 SH 650

The ground (black) screws on the back of the signal switch. My thumb is pointing at it.
IMG-20120110-00179.jpg

This is from an '81, looking towards the signal switch.
IMG-20120110-00177.jpg
Chocolate goes to left signal,
Dr, Green to the right,
Brn/white to the flasher unit,
Yellow/red to the canceling unit.
Pink to horn.

Last edited:
Thanks littlebill31 for the pictures! I've soldered accordingly and I have the ground wire there. At this point, everything is back. Trying to initiate the turn signals results in a rapid clicking in the turn signal relay. If I remove the ground, the turn signals work...total user error here, just wondering if you have any idea on that. Voltage at battery is a little over 12...I can't run the bike right now to initiate the charging system as I'm doing a carb rebuild this week.

All wiring was working correctly prior to me getting courageous with the turn signal. If I moved the wiring coming into the turn signal the signal lights would stop working. This led me to believe there was an issue internal to the switch. I took apart and the soldering contacts were bad, so I completed that. I know it's a ground issue...I'll spend some time this week. Thanks again for the help!

Soldering those three contacts is the right solution to intermittent flashers. They seem to be bad real often. With me, the first time getting it back together was like working a puzzle. Several similar but different screws, plus the wires have got to be routed just a certain way to clear everything. But Bill's pictures should get you through. Grease the sliding parts to make it easier to cancel. There are contacts in there you can spring loose to clean and then spring them back together....

Back