Help identify this please

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
I've got the bike (81' special) stripped down to the frame and I'm in the process of removing un-needed tabs etc. But for the life of me I can't remember what this tab was for and I don't want to remove it, only to find out later I need it.
Thanks for any help you can give me identifying this.
Bill

_DSC1855-1.jpg

Doubtful it is for the rear master cylinder, as the 1981 Special had a drum rear brake. I am quite sure that it is one of the mounting brackets for the security chain box.

Doubtful it is for the rear master cylinder, as the 1981 Special had a drum rear brake. I am quite sure that it is one of the mounting brackets for the security chain box.

Hmmm,
Yeah it's a drum brake in the rear.
What is a security chain box?

Thanks
Bill

Hi
just went out and looked at my 1981 XS650SE and yes it has that bracket, with a rubber grommet in it but is not used for anything. Mine is a drum rear brake also
Kev

The security chain box was a little plastic triangular box that held a vinyl covered locking chain. The chain could be used to secure the bike to a post or similar object, and used the same key as the ignition, gas cap, and seat lock.

Hi
just went out and looked at my 1981 XS650SE and yes it has that bracket, with a rubber grommet in it but is not used for anything. Mine is a drum rear brake also
Kev

Awesome, thanks Kev thats what I suspected but nice to have it confirmed. :thumbsup:

This is for the rear brake drum master cylinder for sure. It if for mag wheels on the special. I am certain of this as I have removed it not less than a month ago.

Alfredo, your bike must be a 1980 or older. A rear brake drum has no master cylinder because it is a ... drum brake. 1980 and earlier Specials (except for the 1980 Special II) were equipped with a disc rear brake that utilized a master cylinder.

I am certain it is a 78. I said rear drum brake master cylinder, but meant rear disc brake :(

Sorry about that. It had mag wheels with a rear disc and that mount was for the master cylinder.

Well either way I dont need it and it is now gone. But I now see in your pic of the chain security box what the other tab I took off the ugly gusset area was for. :wink2:

Thanks everybody

Back