HELP: Oil Leak (think it's the Cam Chain Tensioner)

AnotherNewYorker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an oil leak - and a mechanic said it was by/inside (?) the cam chain tensioner.
I can see that it's leaking from beneath that acorn shown on the picture....
Do I need to get a new piece or what?

Thanks for any help!

Michael:thumbsup:

SORRY: 1979 XS 650 Special

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
There are two non-obvious possibilities. The first is that the neutral switch is leaking. It's common. If it's tight, don't try to fix it by overtightening. Screw it out and take a mini-vice grip and squeeze the top part onto the black in six places. The idea is like staking the top part down onto the black. You can find a picture of this repair if you don't understand. I had that problem and PamcoPete offered this solution which fixed it.

The other possibility is the adjuster is leaking. The o-ring in the acorn is a common hardware store size if yours has flattened out. Also, the lock nut may have an edge pushed up from a wrench because the nut is hard to get to. That can hit the edge of the acorn and keep it from going all the way down, thus a leak. The fix is to file the edge back down flush.

Last edited:
As well as what xjwmx said there are a few possiblities.
You don't mention the year but looking at your pic you have what is referred to as a Type E adjuster. I'll post up a chart. If you look closely you will see how the parts go together.
It can leak from several places. The gasket where the whole housing bolts to the cylinders, a sealing washer under the lock nut, an o ring in the cap.
You might find hardware store that has an o ring that fits but it might not hold up to the heat and oil. Mike's has all these seals and gaskets.
Try cleaning the whole area very well. Start it up and go for a ride. Stopping every few miles to check on where the oil is coming from.
Once you find where it's coming from fix what needs to be fixed.
Leo

One more maybe is the head gasket above the tensioner. there is a loong loop of thin mating surface with one little 5mm bolt keeping it together. DO NOT rush out and crank down that bolt. Lots have stripped the threads out of the head there. Gently loosen it and carefully reapply the correct (small) torque. This should be done along with a full head stud retorque.

I just realized I forgot the chart.
Here it is.
Leo

Attachments

• TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 538
In your pic you can see the lock nut under the cap. The type D doesn't have the lock nut. The type E does.
Leo

Back