Help on Breather

Just keep in mind you'll want the complete unit with all the "guts" (baffle plates). They differ between the two.

I did this mod a while back, from memory I cut the barbs off just behind where they branch and just pressed in a 16mm ally tube. Now I wish I hadn't as the single barb comes awful close to the frame tube. And, now I have twin air filters I need a dual outlet. Not to worry, I'm looking at a better crankcase vent so hopefully the breather box will disappear shortly.

Bikes with BS34 carbs stock use a shorter single outlet breather, all 1980 and newer.
some years 74-75? had one outlet blocked off.
All years interchange.

I think Yamaha chopped and changed a lot of things on the XS over its 15 years of manufacturing, not a lot of consistency . I have a 74 TX, it had two outlets, I cut them off and replaced them with a single - silly me!

The parts diagrams show both single and dual outlet breathers were fitted in the 70-73 bikes. Some 75s anyways had the breather hose go into a hole in the LH cover to oil the chain. :whistle:

While removing the breather hoses from my ‘79, one of the small rubber (or plastic) restrictors fell out of the crank breather assembly. The right side restrictor is well planted inside the hose barb. To put this one back, should it be glued in? (Odd my ‘76 didn’t have these bits). If I just push it back into the barb it will fall right out.

Back