Help, think my rec/reg is toast

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
During a ride last weekend the bike died and wouldn't restart. Turns out the batt was dead. Charging system fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse......flash! new fuse toast. Did some checkin', red wire from MikesXS p/n 24-2089 rec/reg is grounded. Pretty sure a grounded red wire is not good. That wire has batt power all the time so................anyone else runnin' this rec/reg? Lasted a whole year. Let's see.......$110.00 divided by 12= cowshit. This red wire goes directly into the rec/reg so if it's internally grounded it might time for a Banchee setup. Sent an email to Mike's for a wiring diagram but I doubt that's gonna be fruitful. Help..................

Edit: Just disconnected the rec/reg , red wire is still grounded. Pretty sure it's toast.

Last edited:
That red wire should go to the positive side of the battery, it's the charge wire from the rectifier. Sounds like time for a new one and make sure that all connections are clean and tight.

Do the Chrysler reg mod. Lot less costly than Mike's and I paid $13 for mine, comes with a year free replacement. Radio Shack rec for less than $10 built.
Leo

Well the regulator is toast. Not sure which way I'm goin' from here but a decision will be made soon, can't let the bike sit. 'preciate all y'alls input!

Went ahead and replaced the rec/reg, same one frome Mike's XS. At $99.00 and a plug and play it was the quickest/best/most economical way to go. Also got one of Mike's led voltmeters. Wanted something I could monitor my charging system without looking too out of place. So far it all seems to be working (in both senses of the term). I mounted it upside down so as to be less obtrusive. Second pic is with key on/engine off, another green light lights up off idle.

trackervoltmeter001_zpsd2a36500.jpg

trackervoltmeter002_zps27824302.jpg

Went ahead and replaced the rec/reg, same one frome Mike's XS. At $99.00 and a plug and play it was the quickest/best/most economical way to go. Also got one of Mike's led voltmeters. Wanted something I could monitor my charging system without looking too out of place. So far it all seems to be working (in both senses of the term). I mounted it upside down so as to be less obtrusive. Second pic is with key on/engine off, another green light lights up off idle.

trackervoltmeter001_zpsd2a36500.jpg

trackervoltmeter002_zps27824302.jpg

You had a rec/reg from Mikesxs, that only lasted 1 year, and you thought it best to buy another one? I don't see the logic to that.

Leo gave you the best advice................you would get a better, more reliable rec/reg for only $25.00

You had a rec/reg from Mikesxs, that only lasted 1 year, and you thought it best to buy another one? I don't see the logic to that.

Leo gave you the best advice................you would get a better, more reliable rec/reg for only $25.00

As you stated, Leo has already given me that advice. No real need to repeat it. I've considered that option, read the threads about the nuts and bolts of it, and decided not to go in that direction. And I'm not surprised you don't see the logic, you're not me. We all do what we do for our own reasons. I posted my last for informational purposes only. I feel it's only courteous to finish a thread that you start. If you have anything constructive to add I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to go for the easy option myself I think unless I was strapped for cash.
By the way what the heck is the 'Crysler reg option ' anyways :wink2:
Wish folk would post a linky with suggestions like that for all us noobs.

By the way Dave that bike is disgustingly gorgeous and I'm not in total envy .......grrrrrrrrr:D

Dave? Reasons why you didn't want to go the Chrysler/RadioShack reg/rect mod?

Is the 599 miles on the odo what you have put on the tracker, or was that speedo used?

Replacing the reg/rec every 600 miles is going to get expensive, lol. That's OK, from what I've observed, Pregrid is made of money.

so he's loaded is he !

hey Dave I can be your friend :D

I just bought a new regulator from Mikes and it arrived defective. Spent the entire week thinking the blame was another part, because no way a new rectifier can be bad right?

I just bought a new regulator from Mikes and it arrived defective. Spent the entire week thinking the blame was another part, because no way a new rectifier can be bad right?

are you sure you ordered and was sent the correct rectifier for your bike ? whats the part number ?

From looking at Mike's site the #24-2087 looks just about like the stock reg/rec and it staes it's for the 80 up bikes. Have you done the reg bypass test? That's hooking a jumper from the green brush to ground. Do this with engine running and the battery voltsage should climb up to over 15 or 16 volts. It will do this quickly. So be prepared to unhook the jumper when it reaches about 15 volts.
If the voltage won't raise up then the reg/rec is probly ok. You need to check for proper voltage at the brown wire brush as well as rotor and stator ohms.
Leo

Back