Help toning down my exhaust

picker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some advice on quietening my exhaust. I bought some martini shakers for my XS but they came with some less then adiquate baffles, not like one`s I bought in the 70`s, probably from China or something.
Anyways I harvested some baffles out of doner pipes , They were about 14 inches long and it helped but not as muffled as I had hoped.
The megaphones I purchased came with the baffles on the left in the picture, The baffles I installed are like the ones on the right only longer, about 14 inches.
My question is how do I quiet my exhaust with what I have here, As of now I have the 14 inch baffle bolted in except for an inch or two at the intake of the muffler. quiet`s it down but not enough.By the way the louvers are pointed in the direction of exhaust flow, just as I pulled them out of the doner mufflers.
Both baffles fill the circumference of the pipe, even if I slip the left baffle over the right I can still fit it in, my next step was to do just that thereby forcing more exhaust through the baffle...Does that sound right or should I shorten the baffle as well?
Thanks for your help.

DSCF1886.jpg

DSCF1888.jpg

Take a look at the video embedded in this blog entry, it might answer your question and if it doesn't its a few minutes invested in learning about mufflers, baffles and open pipes from a a guy that knows a load of stuff about the subject matter.

http://swaggeringpagan.blogspot.com...wellnothing-it-seems.html?zx=baf447e203e7de4b

Sorry I couldn't give you the straightforward answer I suspect you want or need :)

Hope it helps in some way.

Very helpfull info. I think I`m on the right track then, To add the left baffle with the washer to the end of the right one will re-direct more air through the baffled louvers thereby making it a bit quieter, I guess the only thing I`ll have to experiment with is the legnth of the baffle itself.
Thanks.

Back