Help! Weird electrical issues after replacing switch

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just finished installing a new ignition switch. Before sealing the headlamp I briefly turned it on to verify the headlamp and turns signals were functioning properly. Great right? Well I button everything up and few mins later come back to leave. I turn the switch, hit the starter button and hear a click. Immediately turned it off thinking I had blown a fuse. NOPE! Fuses all intact. I removed headlamp shell and discovered my left blinker wire had come undone. Reconnected and tried again.

No lights (front or rear), no signals, no starter, nothing! Not even a neutral light! I am puzzled and frustrated beyond belief. I've never had anything like this happen. I even tried swapping back in the old ignition switch to see if the new one had shorted or something....nothing. No lights with old one either. Battery (aha) said 7.68 DCV on 20 scale VOM so I charged it (I haven't driven it for a few days and it has an alarm installed).

Turned key...lights! Still won't start. Clicks and then lights gone.

Put the VOM on the battery....12.30 volts. Try to start with VOM connected, voila! Runs and charges whenever I up throttle! Remove positive lead of VOM....bike dies!!! What's going on? Grounding issue? Or possibly, is the battery really dead and my VOM powering my bike???

Normally I have an inclination of the problem but this time I have none. Any ideas?

BTW I have Pamco but not PMA. Battery is AGM and 2 years old

Sidenote for Humor:
One of these days I am going to have to get a professional to completely redo my entire electrical system because in the 3 years I've owned this bike that's the most problematic part of the bike I've ever had. :laugh: Never mechanical

EDIT:
Okay, I just re-checked my battery (off) and now my voltage is only 9.
Does this mean my battery is shot or could it be something else?

Update:
Examining my battery, I noticed that the alarm was the first contact on the battery, with the bike's cables on top. So I swapped the positions (alarm on top) and now VOM says 12.6v for battery and lights come on! :wtf: I'm no expert but could this mean that the alarm was drawing all the power before it could get to the bike? Or perhaps just connected loose or improperly?

Last edited:
Your battery is finished...................time to buy a new one. I'm not surprised its an AGM that has failed. Sometimes they only last 1 or 2 years. I always use the traditional lead/acid batteries, because they are reliable and last 8 to 10 years.

Remove the alarm, see what happens. Yeah I'm not super sold on the AGMs. There were a butt ton of bad ones a few years ago. Lead acid is what the charging system was designed around.

I've had AGM batteries that last a good time. The one that came in my Harley lasted six years.
The charging system was designed when lead acid was state of the art. The charging system doesn't really care what the battery is as long as it's a good battery.
One replacement was a Wal Mart battery and only lasted about 2 years. But Wal Mart sells not so good batteries. All I could afford at the time.
They have the manufacturers make short cuts and use cheaper parts to get the price point.
The one in there now came from Advanced auto and is working fine, should be good for a few more years.
When I replace that battery I'm going with a 16 cell Ballistic Battery. Stronger, lighter.
On the position of the wires on the battery, the alarm won't get the power first but if a bit dirty can block the power. Get the connections clean. A bit of dielectric grease will help keep thing clean.
Leo

Back