Help wiring points and condensers and coils

Chopperguy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just like a lot of people, I’m new here. Bought a basket case sx 650 and I need to wire in points, condensers, coils. I have power going to coils from my main switch. Unsure what to do with the two wires from points and the two condensers that have two wires each. Help!!

here is the best diagram you could have

Attachments

• diagram2.jpg
    diagram2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 266
These bikes use a condenser "pack", 2 condensers mounted end to end on one bracket. One of the two wires in the little pigtail comes from each condenser .....

YrTYF1n.jpg

So, if you have two of these, the second could just be considered a spare. You only need to use one "pack". One of each of the condenser wires gets paired with one points wire .....

K0dm4em.jpg

To avoid confusion, it's best you use the color coding that the factory did. The points sets have a gray and an orange wire running to them. The gray wire connects to the top set of points for the right cylinder/coil. The orange wire connects to the bottom points set for the left cylinder/coil .....

0dOr3wg.jpg

Up where the condensers splice in, the orange points wire pairs with one of the condenser wires into a double bullet connector on an orange wire. That orange wire then runs to the orange wire on the left coil .....

PAzSKOS.jpg

The gray points wire pairs with the other condenser wire into a double bullet connector on a gray wire. That gray wire runs to the orange wire on the right coil .....

1mDQ2DT.jpg

The power going to the coils from your main switch connects to their brown wires.

Back