HELP with Crazy ass noise! VIDEO included

imwastefull

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, i have the valve cover off and i've taken the bearings off of the cam and also removed the cam chain tensioner. However, the cam chain is still too tight to get the cam out... any clue why? What should i do?

My engine was completely rebuilt about a year/year and a half ago but this summer the cam chain guide went. I have a new guide and a gasket kit but i'd like to tear the motor down as little as possible.

Is it possible to get to the guide with the head on? Should i break the chain? Do i NEED to buy a cam chain tool? can you re-use a master link?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
UPDATE!

i got the cam chain off of the cam and then this happened...

ok, please bear with my while i explain my situation. Currently i am super stuck and could really use some advice.

THAT is what my motor sounded like over the summer. Just this whine that got louder everytime i revved the engine. The old girl sounded like she was super charged for christ sake. BUT she ran perfect, noise aside. After tons of research, i concluded that it was the cam chain guide that wore out and the cam chain was rubbing against metal.

However, i just pulled the cam chain off and it is PERFECT. not even rutted.

What in the world could be making that noise?!? Ive looked at the cam bearings and they seem to be in very good shape (i guess)

any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, i have the valve cover off and i've taken the bearings off of the cam and also removed the cam chain tensioner. However, the cam chain is still too tight to get the cam out... any clue why? What should i do?

My engine was completely rebuilt about a year/year and a half ago but this summer the cam chain guide went. I have a new guide and a gasket kit but i'd like to tear the motor down as little as possible.

Is it possible to get to the guide with the head on? Should i break the chain? Do i NEED to buy a cam chain tool? can you re-use a master link?

Thanks guys!

I don't know if the front guide will fit through the head or not. I'd say remove the camshaft, undo the 2 bolts holding the guide and then see if it can be removed. If it can't be removed then move on to plan B and remove the head. I would use a small grinding stone that fits into a drill chuck. Grind the ends off the camchain master link, its very easy to do. A small grinding stone for your drill is very cheap. No you don't need a special tool. Buy a new master link.

I've been told that you can put some tubing (of the right length) over the studs. That can make it possible (with washers/nuts) to tighten down on the head, so that more clearance is gained and allow the camshaft to be removed (without breaking the master link).

edit: While I was typing, I see you have progressed...................well done!

Thanks Retired! Turns out once you have the cam chain off of the cam you can get the front guide out pretty easily.

as stated, the front guide is PERFECT. the rear guide with the tensioner is a little worn but doesn't look that bad... it has some ruts but no breaks or cracks.

I thought that the noise might be from the bearing in the tensioner but once i cracked her open i realised that i have the later style that doesn't have the wheel gear thingy.

So.... what is this noise?!? haha.

could it be the crank bearing?

any guesses/suggestions?

Have you tried getting your ear down really close to the engine on each side? Is the whine from the left or right side? Alternator rotor could be rubbing on something.

Sometimes PO's leave out parts when they re-assemble. The PO on my bike left out one of the washers when he re-assembled the clutch. In the picture you can see where there were parts rubbing together.

Attachments

• Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 259
Well, I did try that when the engine was together. I was honestly convinced that it was the can guide until I tore her open and found out that the guide is perfect. I have no clue what to do next!

If your bike is still making that noise ( or any funny noise that you have trouble pin-pointing) use a stethoscope with a needle probe. They sell them at most auto supply stores or if you cant find one there Snap On tools used to have them ( got one 25 years ago ) .

Does anyone else on here own one ?

If your bike is still making that noise ( or any funny noise that you have trouble pin-pointing) use a stethoscope with a needle probe. They sell them at most auto supply stores or if you cant find one there Snap On tools used to have them ( got one 25 years ago ) .

Does anyone else on here own one ?
or you can use a long screwdriver, put the tip on what you want to hear and hold the handle against the side of your head next to your ear
(member of the CBC... (Cheap Bastards Club))

or you can use a long screwdriver, put the tip on what you want to hear and hold the handle against the side of your head next to your ear
(member of the CBC... (Cheap Bastards Club))
yup, same principal , picks up vibration , but the stethoscope is more sensative and you can get the probe into tighter spots . It wasn't a very expensive tool , only cost $15 bucks , and has saved me thousands .

Ok guys! We are getting off topic!

the engine is currently torn down to the head so a stethoscope is not an option. I did try and take a listen when it was running but clearly that didn't help much :)

PLEASE watch this video and help me identify the noise. I was convinced it was the cam guide but i pulled it out and she's in perfect condition.

I honestly have no clue where to look next but i can't just split the cases and go poking around. A) that's tons of work with no objective and B) I haven't done that before and i'd would either not know what to look for or do more harm than good.

I have no problem fixing my engine myself i just need to have an idea of what to look for or where to start.

Thanks Brothers!

Quick thought,What about the oil pump/tach worm gear?
If your oil is pushed by revolutions of the engine perhaps the oil pump is getting too much pressure because your kick only. (less starter gears means less stoppage for the oil delivery) More throttle more oil/faster oil pump? Could be the sound of the oil pump spinning faster?

OK, first of all, What in the world is a worm gear? Haha.

I can say this, my Rachel drive is plugged and the onset of this noise was very sudden. It literally started mid ride and just kept getting worse. I have 1000 miles with no noise until the one day.

So it could be that worm gear but wouldnt that be a noise from the very beginning?

Thanks samurai! Have any idea as to how I could test your theory?

You are not the first to deal with a low constant whine on an XS650. I don't know that there is a definitive answer. One thing worth looking at or eliminating as a cause is the rotor/stator. The stator has a locating pin, if the pin isn't in the slot of the stator or the bolts work loose the rotor can rub on the stator. The nest item I kind of hate to mention and have no personal experience but the flywheels can spin on the crank pins causing a misaligned crank. This happens on lots of roller/ball bearing engines (pressed together crankshafts). Hugh has mentioned that a lot of the cranks he looks at are twisted, that would load up a bearing. That's why he welds the rephase cranks. Please keep us informed on what you find.

I remember another bike on here was making the same noise ( he had a video too ) . Cant remember the name , but it was a nice resto mod with a red and cream color paint job . I wonder if he figured out where his noise was coming from ? He was one of those guys that name their bikes , had it painted on the tank , it may have been " Thumper " ? (seems to ring a bell ) . Anyway, search engine noise ( his was a fresh rebuild I think ) see what you come up with .

Here's one old post about "the whine".

I sold him a 75 engine I had never run with good compression and when he fired it up it whined. Later I asked him about it.

Originally Posted by gggGary
cmattina did you ever figure out the noise in the 75 engine?
No, never did!

I did get a stethescope and listened around and it did indeed sound more to be coming from the bottom end. Though, that was almost a year ago now and I could have been more thorough at the time. Also, it started up fine after sitting all winter, and I have already put a couple hundred km on it. Still runs good.

Does the whine change at all with the clutch in ?

My feeling is the cam chain but you say the guides look fine?
have you checked the wholelength of the cam chain for any signs of wear or rubbing where there shouldn't be any ?

if you have the motor back together I would try running the engine and adjusting the cam tensioner in and out to see if there is any change in the pitch or level of the whining .

Last edited:
Back