help with hvlp paint guns

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
ok I don't paint much anymore but did 15+ years ago lol ok i have a new turbine paint system hvlp and cant seem to get paint to lay down like i did with old style guns,
lots of orange peal almost seems like the run in the clear had orange peel in it lol
whats cause's orange peel ??? have painted acrylic enamel paint and base coat clear coat urethanes all had bad orange peel tried two difrent paint guns and turbine system, going to get a new hvlp to use with my aircompressor but if orange peel is going to hapen with it to then i don't know,any help or info out there??
oh yea I'm useing a 1.3mm tip on the gun

if orange peel is your only problem then you're not doing too badly. increase air pressure and try thinning your paint a bit more if you're using thinners. what's your paint like for consistency?

Last edited:
mixing per the can 4-1 for base and 4-1-1 for the finsh1 clear it seems to be ok but i haven't painted in a long time did a tank last year with single stage with a budys TP turbine system and did an ok job just orange peel but it buffed out ok, this year did a tank and fenders, with base clear with my new turbine system and oranged peeled bad

I don't use a turbine driven HVLP mine are compressor driven however I do seem to remember reading the air coming from the turbine may have something to do with it. Turbines put out warm dry air. Maybe a retarder would help:shrug: Just a shot in the dark your mileage may vary.

the gun itself might be the problem. I've never used anything but compressor and DeVilbiss gun so idk about this turbo thing you have. do the documents that came with it offer any suggestions? can you make it "turbo" a bit faster to atomize more and get a thinner coat? you want it wet/thin enough to self level but not so much it'll run.

maybe try a smaller needle <--- bit I deleted from first post.

A friend of mine switched over to HVLP 25 years ago, to save on painting aircraft, and reduce paint weight. Kind of a new thing back then, and he had to adjust his technique and 'eyeball/gut reading' of the layering. Since the HVLP gun fogs rather than sprays, it saves on paint by reducing overspray, more paint goes on the surface. But, this also alters the airborne evaporation of the carrier(s), making the paint wetter on laydown.

Orangepeel is usually caused by unevaporated/trapped carriers beneath a skin that dries faster than the lower layers. He had to adjust his laydown and next-coat-timing to allow for this 'wetter' paint, by doing the painting in a way that feels unnatural when you're accustomed to normal high pressure spray. I recall that he would do a laydown that felt abnormally too thin, let it flowout, skin, then follow with the second.

I suppose it's easier for someone who starts with HVLP, than for experienced painters to 'unlearn'...

Boy u guys r righ on . I painted for years . So much to Learn where to start . Okay , prep prime sand seal bace coat ... Now clear . 4 to 1 . 90 psi at the compresser 45 at the gun your fine. Test panel tons of times to get gun spraying good . Move pretty fast when laying paint . Orange peel is wet sanded with 1200 and buffed out at the end of a day drying. Try thinner in your gun to test , u want it even and wide but not to wide and a full pull on hvlp but keep it moving .

I made a tank and fender holder to buff them.
jpg.gif
It had a little orange peel and some dirt nib's , wet sanded that out . Time to show buffing skills. This makes or brakes a paint job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 211
Back