Help with lights ?!?

sean colleary

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
79 xs So i got the bike running with my wireing woot woot but im stuck on head light at tale light now so im trying to just have the high beam on all the time to illuminate unnecessary wires and switches
Im having trouble bypassing the wires for the switch I don’t know what I need to tie together
Ive Metered everything on this block and can’t seem to get any power out of any of it 41B35AED-AF25-45C6-A529-BA0FBA5467F2.jpeg has anybody done this before and if so how did you modify the wiring to work ..... Also is the taillight necessary in the circuit to complete the circuit for the head light?

Attachments

• A5ADAE9D-B51B-4ED3-89EF-6A2F7FA33848.jpeg
    A5ADAE9D-B51B-4ED3-89EF-6A2F7FA33848.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 85
  • B796E4EA-8108-4F55-A148-AE5992FF8A90.jpeg
    B796E4EA-8108-4F55-A148-AE5992FF8A90.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 40685068-D2E8-45D4-A1CC-D1F6B300713E.jpeg
    40685068-D2E8-45D4-A1CC-D1F6B300713E.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The power for (and to) the dimmer switch flows out of the safety relay, but doesn't flow until the motor is running. If you want to test headlight wiring with the motor off, you'll need to jumper the R/Y (red/yellow) running into the safety relay to the L/B (blue/black) coming out of it. The R/Y is power coming from the headlight fuse. Once the relay is activated, the L/B carries that same power to the RLU. Inside the RLU, that power is transferred to the L/Y (blue/yellow) and runs up to the dimmer switch.

Forgot to mention, the tail light is not part of the headlight circuit at all. It is totally separate, on it's own. It is powered directly by the key but that power runs through the light checker on your model. If you want to eliminate the light checker, you will have to jumper the L/Y (blue/yellow) running into it from the key to the L (blue) running out of it to the tail light.

check grommets at back of headlight shell they often crack and let wires get cut on shell. Dark green and black swapped in a connector?

Forgot to mention, the tail light is not part of the headlight circuit at all. It is totally separate, on it's own. It is powered directly by the key but that power runs through the light checker on your model. If you want to eliminate the light checker, you will have to jumper the L/Y (blue/yellow) running into it from the key to the L (blue) running out of it to the tail light.
It worked !
So if i jummper the blue yellow and blue in the plug i can iliminate the hole plug 4EB586C9-5D8A-434D-A650-B443410924F1.jpeg
And can I completely eliminate all my handal bar wireing and switch if i just jump the blue yellow and yellow for the headlight i shouldnt need to jump anything els up there image.jpg

And can i eliminate the rlu plug and cut those back and just the blue black and blue yellow and last can I eliminate the safety relay by jumping red yellow and back blue

Just don’t want to shoot myself in the foot and cut something I’m not supposed to thanks for all your help guys hopefully will be riding this bike tomorrow

Last edited:
You should probably check your state laws to see if only one headlight beam is legal. I think most require both a high and low beam.

The safety relay is actually a double relay. There are 2 relays in there, one for the headlight and one for the electric starter. If you're going kick only then it's no problem to just eliminate that relay but if you're keeping the electric starter, some more wire jumping would be needed. But even then, you're removing an important safety feature. That relay cuts the starter off once the engine fires. Without it, if you accidentally hit the starter button while riding, the starter will try to engage. With the engine at speed or high RPMs, that would not be a very good thing at all. Major damage could occur I would think.

You should probably check your state laws to see if only one headlight beam is legal. I think most require both a high and low beam.

The safety relay is actually a double relay. There are 2 relays in there, one for the headlight and one for the electric starter. If you're going kick only then it's no problem to just eliminate that relay but if you're keeping the electric starter, some more wire jumping would be needed. But even then, you're removing an important safety feature. That relay cuts the starter off once the engine fires. Without it, if you accidentally hit the starter button while riding, the starter will try to engage. With the engine at speed or high RPMs, that would not be a very good thing at all. Major damage could occur I would think.
cool thanks dude ya in co you dont need a hight and low beam you barely need anything lol i dont ride at night at all and ya im going to be running the starter so ill go ahead and leave it in there lol was trying to make as much room as possible so i can hide it all your a life saver dude thank you so much

Back