help

breahn riley

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i pulled the camshaft cover of the motor and now im looking at pulling three screws to remove the atu housing. well actually my bike is tci so there is nothing there. i got the one set of screws out no problem. but the other side is working me over. im starting to strip the screws and im pissed. the screws just wont budge. anyone have any good ideas on how to loosen these screws without ruining them?

yeah, i rigged up somethin like that. for some reason i have a half to quarter drive reducer for an impact gun. so i cut down a flat head screwdriver which the shaft of it was square. i then rammed it into a 6mm socket. didnt work, the impact gun i have is serious and spins wayy to fast. i have friends who have the little impact guns for construction so im just gunna borrow one from them. if that doesnt work i think im gunna try to find a really small diameter disk for a dremel drill and try to make the screw slots bigger. hopefully one of these two scenarios work. thanks anyways.

not "impact gun" or "impact wrench". Impact driver. Not the same thing. An impact driver will convert the force of striking into rotational, as well as preventing cam out. Go look at the link.

They're only about $20 at a car parts store.

breahn, first off, hit the head of the screws firmly with the #3 Phillips head from a impact DRIVER set. The bit's are available just about anywhere. Make sure the bit is squarely into the head of the screw, and a couple of good whacks should be enough to loosen the bite that it has on the threads. Thats what we use to do on the old Honda's that had those philli head screws. Then we would try to sell the upgraded Allen head bolt kit's. It does work, the trick is to get & hit it square.

BTW, an impact driver is used with a hammer, not air. They are also available everywhere.

Back