Heritage Custom Build Thread

I'm thinking your baffle needs straightening. Don't know if that's sticking out far enough to interfere with the chain, but I'd bend it back straight just to be on the safe side.

Untitled.png

BD4E3AC0-5D55-4086-85AD-6C06E0164970.jpeg E7C2E24C-DE10-4511-97B9-42F218CF887E.jpeg 71AF944E-C11E-4A6E-9174-00824CE7A9EA.jpeg
Progress! Got the head on. Decided to take a different tack with the cam chain. Joined and riveted it before putting on the head. On my First attempt I dropped one side down the chain tunnel and was lucky to fish it out by the safety wire so decided to rivet first so that at worst it would only go down to the tensioner cross support. It worked but fiddly to get the cam in with a tight brand new chain. Don’t think I would do it that way again. Hopefully gonna flop it in the frame tomorrow!

C167D6EF-6E90-4011-83F3-D6FDA3A8C8A2.jpeg C3A60F8F-AAA1-4FEE-8C68-D69A225D9BA4.jpeg F5E79125-0B25-40AD-8EA9-2682E0CB00C5.jpeg 313C11B4-2EA9-41B8-91C1-E0F4B455BBC2.jpeg C2557154-50F9-4C9D-BC62-00D8E69F4FFA.jpeg
Couple more updates. Got my Hagons on. Front brake sorted with braided lines and new MC. Started “modifying” my wiring harness to simplify and remove no longer needed circuits like the charging, reg/rec, reserve lighting and signal canceling. Hoping for shots of motor resting comfy in frame this evening!

Once I switch to a braided stainless line, I don't bother with that lower guide clip, I don't think it's necessary anymore .....

SecvIYM.jpg

Sl0Vak9.jpg

Df6kM3B.jpg

Get yer motor runnin!
Fired up for the second time/heat cycle!
750 Kit, 277 rephase with all new crank bearings and rods, megacycle cam, Delkevic Stainless 2-1 exhaust, Vape Ignition (no other electrics yet. You can see me touch the ground wire to frame to kill it.) Still a ways to go before 1st ride but it sounds great! That iggy is awesome. starts right up with an easy kick! Very excited!

Get yer motor runnin!
Fired up for the second time/heat cycle!
750 Kit, 277 rephase with all new crank bearings and rods, megacycle cam, Delkevic Stainless 2-1 exhaust, Vape Ignition (no other electrics yet. You can see me touch the ground wire to frame to kill it.) Still a ways to go before 1st ride but it sounds great! That iggy is awesome. starts right up with an easy kick! Very excited!

Sounds great! Congratulations!

Ya! the wife's not a bad cinematographer!
Sump plate is leaking. :doh: I'll address after a few heat cycles and a short ride to drain the break-in oil.
Tackling the wiring harness next. This is gonna be fun.
I actually really like wiring and electrical, figuring out the best way to run circuits and keep them safe is good fun.
Soon! :bike:

Pulled a bone head move last night. Ran 2 heat cycles on the new motor and figured time for a test ride around the neighborhood. Got it all prepped, chain on, pegs, brake pedal, seat, tank. Put the left engine side cover on and it was contacting the lower ignition sensor and I didn’t notice. Tightened it down and it pushed the sensor into the rotor. It fired up and make god awful metal on metal noises before I got it shut down. Wife said it looked like I’d seen a ghost :yikes:
First thought the crank had seized or something in the head broke! Imagine my relief when I found the issue. Got some dremmel work to do! Nice thing about that vape system is the sensors are plug and play. Bummer but could have been worse.:banghead:
24B47904-F09C-4A60-B2ED-C28F8AD2CF4C.jpeg1F6A0E6C-DF61-4D1E-B3A0-B150A289C3E8.jpeg

Made some progress on the bike this week. Got a replacement Vape sensor from Hoos racing for $30 including shipping.
Cheap tuition IMHO. And the abused one still works so now I got a spare! Relieved the cover so I have light between cover and sensor, wires routed tidy so they won't pinch. Very nice. Kinda hard to see in the pic but there is daylight between cover and lower sensor. Sadly, the new ignition backing plate won't let me run the gasket I have. Custom gasket in on the final punch list. :shootme:
Sensor cover fix.jpg
Here's some pics of the Mikesxs PWK flatslides and fuel line set up I came up with.
I think they came out pretty tidy.
I know there are mixed reviews on these carbs. Here's my impressions so far...
They are cheap. The slide and bowl fasteners are not great. Replaced them with stainless allens already. I pulled the bowl off one carb to confirm & record jet sizes and he rubber bowl gasket had expanded with the exposure to gas. Not great. Luckily a light kiss with my heat gun dried and shrunk it just enough to get it back on but I was MFing that thing.
Another thing that was tough was getting the slide on the cable. You have to fully compress the very stiff throttle spring, feed in the black plastic needle keeper, then hook the cable knot into the slide and hopefully not shoot the whole thing across the shop as your fingers get tired and sweaty. I was MFing that too. The steel carb bands that came with the kit were crap. On first fire the motor back fired and blew the left carb. off the manifold. I was tentative trying not to over tighten the crappy phillips band clamp. I replaced them with some nice stainless metric style band clamps with a strip-proof hex and they take a medium size flat blade screw driver too. Shout out to the fastener section at Parkrose Hardware on Sandy Bvd in Portland. It's a wonderland! Every bike build I've done I take a half a dozen trips in there for misc stuff.
Left side carbs.jpg
Fuel Line & petcock.jpg
carbs right side.jpg

More to come.

Here's a few pics of where the bike is over all
Bike fires and runs nice on the ignition system. Plan to take it for a ride around the 'hood this afternoon. Next up is installing the harness so all the lights and charging part of the PMA are working and get the starter circuit working. I love the Delkevic Stainless exhaust! It fit perfect, has a stop for the center stand, really nice quality for the price and you can do 3 levels of tune on it. Looking forward to experimenting.
Bike on lift.jpg
From back left.jpg
Exhaust from front.jpg
Head and coils.jpg

Waspy.jpg

I've got the same exhaust on my XS2. Get lots of compliments on its looks and sound. At a steady speed the sound does seem to turn into a droning sound. I find myself changing speeds just to change the frequency. At high RPMs it starts to sound like the old recip fighter planes.
upload_2020-5-8_17-37-0.png

What length Hagons are those?
upload_2020-5-8_17-43-29.png
When you get some miles on them post how you like them.

I've got the same exhaust on my XS2. Get lots of compliments on its looks and sound. At a steady speed the sound does seem to turn into a droning sound. I find myself changing speeds just to change the frequency. At high RPMs it starts to sound like the old recip fighter planes.
View attachment 166512
What length Hagons are those?View attachment 166513 When you get some miles on them post how you like them.
Will do on the shocks. They are the Hagons available on Mikes XS.
Wow, the early model hangs a bit lower eh? There's an aging balls joke in there somewhere. :laughing:
How are you running baffle? I fired it up for a couple of heat cycles with both baffles in.
But it seems really muffled and choked up.
I pulled the robot dildo out and gonna see how it sound and runs later today after work.
Exhaust.jpg
Exhaust baffle.jpg

Wow, the early model hangs a bit lower eh? There's an aging balls joke in there somewhere.
Watch it there fella I resemble that remark.:laugh2:
Running full baffle. It's plenty loud for me and doesn't seem stuffy at all.
I may try it without the "dildo".
upload_2020-5-8_18-3-17.png

Tackling the wiring harness next. This is gonna be fun.
I actually really like wiring and electrical, figuring out the best way to run circuits and keep them safe

I really enjoyed doing wiring from scratch. It was relaxing for me just chuggin along at my own pace and going thru wiring diagrams. One thing I noticed Steve in one of your pics above is the bend in your clutch cable upon entry into the side cover. That could potentially cause you some not so smooth clutch pull. JC

505B5050-8CED-436F-BEC3-31B1F9DE2847.png

Back