Heritage Special

Hi Tillerman,
the only unchangeable difference between a Standard and a Special XS650 is the angle of the rear shocks.
Everything else swaps like LEGO.
1980 and newer XS650s have the desirable lift-off seat and no points ignition and can be parts-swapped to look just like a Standard.
That is so BS ! fredintoon. It is difficult to adapt later "Special" shaped seats and side panels etc onto a "Standard" or the Standard components onto a Special. None of the hangers or mounts are in the proper place. It would require welding new tabs all over and the flat seat of a Standard is especially hard to adapt to the Special frame angles. Even the top triple clamp and instrument mounts are specifically angled for the Special..

Thank you. So a standard seat will fit? I thought modifications were needed as standard is hinged.
Will standard side panels fit too?
Completely dependent upon your abilities and willingness to modify the frame. As for me, a standard is a standard and a Special is special. :smoke:
Before I'd convert a Special to a standard, I think I'd get a used Bonneville. Not that the the conversion isn't possible.

That is so BS ! fredintoon. It is difficult to adapt later "Special" shaped seats and side panels etc onto a "Standard" or the Standard components onto a Special. None of the hangers or mounts are in the proper place. It would require welding new tabs all over and the flat seat of a Standard is especially hard to adapt to the Special frame angles. Even the top triple clamp and instrument mounts are specifically angled for the Special..

Hi Machine,
I'll concede that sheet metal & plastic side covers, side-hinge & lift-off seats and a shitload of other small parts DON'T swap.
But most of the big parts do. Engines & gas tanks.'76 & earlier; '77 & newer; forks, brakes, fenders & wheels etc.
And I've welded an extra tab on a disk brake swingarm to work with a drum brake rear wheel.
It ain't so much BS at it is knowing what'll swap, what won't, and what can be gotten away with.

OK, Well this thread is a potential new XS owner and member here asking, which we would like to encourage and support. We need to not assist in somebody getting in over their heads. It does seem that in the UK guys are having even more of a difficult time sourcing parts than over here on the west coast USA where it has been easy until lately. I encourage all new potential XS owners to figure out which style XS they desire and patiently seek out that.
-R

Written about this so many times.........Travis deleted all this info from the Sticky thread when they updated the forum........

Here is a link to putting a Standard seat on an early model Special
79XS shows how it is done with pics
http://www.xs650.com/threads/standard-vs-special-vs-special-ii-seats.22157/

If you don't find a Standard look for these models

Being in Europe you need to find a US import 78SE.........79SF...........79SII or 80G, (SII). These models have a hinged seat and it is quite easy to put a Standard seat on these specials. The side-covers still have a slope that doesn't sit exactly with the standard seat but Standard side-covers will sit on the same brackets as the special side-covers............These specials have metal side-covers. ............if someone tries to tell you different when they are trying to sell you a laterXS650, they are bullshitting .

78SE
XS650SE_02.jpg XS650SE_03.jpg

79SF
Clipboard 1.jpg

79SII
1 1a.jpg

80G, (SII).
Clipboard.jpg

Is you find a 79SII or 80G these 2 models have spoke wheels with drum rear brakes

Europe did get an early model US Custom that has a hinged seat the same as the models above.....Later US custom models didn't

Early European US Custom
Vin No starts with 3L1 000101 to 020000
Clipboard.jpg

These have a clip on seat, no hinges
Later model US Custom
17601_0_3_4_xs 650_Submitted by anonymous user..jpg

Last edited:
Texavina Seat for Heritage Special
IMG_4887__03706.1566287251.1280.1280.jpg

Bike Seat Factory for Heritage Special
a20792913cb60464ad80f0_l__22095.1361299110.JPG

XS650SG, XS650H, XS650SH, XS650SJ, and XS650SK all use the same seat. Those two sites may provide other acceptable seat options. Mike's XS had a cafe seat for those Specials, but seems to have discontinued it.
Anyone using the seat I the first photo? Id be curious to see what it looks like mounted on a bike.

Back