Hey Hugh, why didn't you tell us your XS is a pop culture icon?

blackbetty

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So my BSA buddy comes by my house to check out my build last night.

I was surprised to see his t-shirt, which sports a giant image of a bobber. It looked a little familiar, so I took a pic.

Hugh, my buddy bought this t-shirt at Nordstrom's! Better be getting your cut!

6034963595_5eebd66cb7.jpg

i would want that shirt if hugh put it out. and wasnt white.....sssssshhhhhhh, they are watching....

but really, if an "artist" changes an image more than 17 percent then it is legal to use the image. thats how everyone gets away with using the harley® bar and shield.

im probably wrong, this is just what im told.
i would look into it tho, i know some shit went down with paul jr. and his shirt, i think i seen somewhere that someone else just used the same falcon bike on a shirt too.

Holy shit batman!:yikes:

No doubt about it. Somebody's making some cash off of that image, but we're going into copyright law now, and things start to fall into the grey.

I'm not an attorney, but I would think that if the image is copyrighted, and it's being used for profit without its owner's knowledge or permission, he might want to either pursue a cease and desist complaint and seek retroactive remuneration, or enter into a proper contract for the paid use of his material.

Assuming that Hugh didn't bless this, what likely happened is that some graphics house went rooting around on the web looking for a clean image to meet a chosen theme, and happened on this one. Little did they know, however, that the particular bike in the image is representative of a lineage of machines that constitute a pseudo-religion, with virtually worldwide membership, and that this little misjudgment would bubble to the surface in time.

TC

Did Hugh himself throw it up on Photobucket? If so, and I'm not 100% on this, but I think that makes it public domain! Meaning he might not legally have a foot to stand on! Now if someone else posted up the copyrighted image on photobucket without Hugh's consent he might have a say! Time to check photobucket's terms and conditions!

Did Hugh himself throw it up on Photobucket? If so, and I'm not 100% on this, but I think that makes it public domain! Meaning he might not legally have a foot to stand on! Now if someone else posted up the copyrighted image on photobucket without Hugh's consent he might have a say! Time to check photobucket's terms and conditions!

Terms
6. Proprietary Rights in Content on Photobucket.

o 6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content's privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable. Some of the Photobucket Services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions, and you hereby agree that Photobucket may place such advertising and promotions on the Photobucket Services or on, about, or in conjunction with your Content. The manner, mode and extent of such advertising and promotions are subject to change without specific notice to you.

get a couple shirts from 'em and get a pic of yourself wearing it while riding that bike and then make a shirt out of the resulting pic. :)

in all seriousness, do you know if it was it made via threadless or one of those sites, or was it sold by a retailer?

EDIT: Nordstroms. no shit. wow.

Terms
6. Proprietary Rights in Content on Photobucket.

o 6.1 Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content). After you remove your Content from the Photobucket Website we will cease distribution as soon as practicable, and at such time when distribution ceases, the license to such Content will terminate. If after we have distributed your Content outside the Photobucket Website you change the Content’s privacy setting to "private," we will cease any further distribution of such "private" Content outside the Photobucket Website as soon as practicable. Some of the Photobucket Services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions, and you hereby agree that Photobucket may place such advertising and promotions on the Photobucket Services or on, about, or in conjunction with your Content. The manner, mode and extent of such advertising and promotions are subject to change without specific notice to you.

all of this is referring to personal use. NOT for resale by companies. I am a print designer and these things come up pretty frequently. Find out the brand producing the garment and if they are located in the US it will be pretty easy to have a lawyer send them a letter. Most likely they'll throw you a little lump of cash to settle. you could easily walk with a couple K.

I hate bullshit lawsuits but companies can't just jack peoples shit off the internet like that. I have had it happen to me more than once. sucks.

PS- i want that shirt.

Back