Hey Hugh, why didn't you tell us your XS is a pop culture icon?

But was there a stated copyright? I hope your photographer has one and is willing to share. Most professionals copyright their stuff so things may be looking good.

Or It could be like keyboard cat. Posted up on the Internet, and then used for t shirts, tv shows, and everything else. I doubt there was a copyright. I wonder how that stuff works with photos posted on photo bucket that have been copyrighted......? None the less, good luck with your case. Personally, I believe you should see a piece of the pie, add some CNC equipment to your shop and start producing more high quality affordable XS parts! I know a guy (wink, wink) that has a couple mills and lathes sitting on his showroom floor right now......

I just want one of those Nordstrom t-shirts (considering my teenage-daughter-college-senior-kid absconded with my XS650.com shirt. Thinking about hiring a lawyer to get it back....oh, wait a minute...I write the tuition checks...I have leverage.)

Unless you have made provisions to protet your brand, (pics, inventions, names,) they are able to be copied or used in any way that someone else wants. An example would be, If "Hugh's Handbuild" is not a registered name i can register that name and legally stop Hugh from using it for bussiness purposes. Unethical yes, illegal no.

The funny thing is, i had removed the pics of the gauge face removal from my albums to do a rework on them. A day before this issue come up i was asked by a member to be able to see them. The long standing member has no posts, and the first thought that come to my mind was, the pictorial could, (i stress the word could), be used for commercial purposes. I have covered this with a note by stating "Anyone can download and use my pics for personal use only and are not for commercial use"

In no way am i sugesting the member who asked me for the tutorial would or is using it for anything other than for their own use.

^In the U.S. a photo is copyrighted automatically at the moment of its creation. That automatically prevents its indiscriminate use.

But there are dirty little secrets; although something is copyrighted you must have previously jumped through certain hoops before you can recover certain kinds of damages. And on and on. It takes a lawyer. From the start, best case. Not only that, but he needs to be better than his adversaries, like in the story I told.

That's just for future reference. What we're dealing with here is a moot point ;)

^In the U.S. a photo is copyrighted automatically at the moment of its creation. That automatically prevents its indiscriminate use.

;)

But if you post on a social website like Facebook or photobucket, you would agree to their terms and loose your copyright.

Still havent answerd why you think it is a hoax

This happened not long ago to a Vancouver photographer where this T-shirt compnay took one of his photos with a female model, made it into a graphic and put it on a T-shirt for sale. In Canada, the image is copyrighted to the image maker.

But because the legal cost is way too high for a photographer to afford against a huge company, he didn't take legal action. Sucks :(

But if you post on a social website like Facebook or photobucket, you would agree to their terms and loose your copyright.

Don't jump to the conclusion the agreement is enforceable. If it is, it might vary by state. Also, some judges would like to see certain parts be in CAPITAL LETTERS so they can't be missed. Amateur lawyering is just to kill time, like women gossiping. I answered your question about a hoax a page or two ago, for somebody else.

But because the legal cost is way too high for a photographer to afford against a huge company, he didn't take legal action. Sucks :(

In the U.S. a lawyer would do it on a contingency fee, if there was really a case and money to be had. That's what all those TV commercials for accident lawyers late at night are about.

Thanks Travis, I guess you know a bit of this stuff having the site and enquiring about the emblems and pics for your T's

I have put this issue in the hands of the Photographer, who is pursuing the proper legal routes...

YES, you can put a photo up on the web, but it is for Non-Profit uses only unless permission has been granted for the image to be used as such...

It will be interesting to see how it goes... I still haven't seen a shirt though :(

I checked at Nordstrom's Rack a couple of days ago. No luck.

There's a full Nordstrom's at a local mall...will go by there eventually.

As a photographer..I can clearly state that in Australia The copyright stands fully with the photographer unless the full right to the image have been sold to other parties. In a case like this the photographer would be able to seek compensation.

For the photographer to on sell this image he would have to get a property release from Hugh. Or in the case of a person a Model release, unless the image has been captured in a public location.

I think your photographer has a good chance if he can track down guilty party………hopefully he then shares with Hugh!

I have put this issue in the hands of the Photographer, who is pursuing the proper legal routes...

YES, you can put a photo up on the web, but it is for Non-Profit uses only unless permission has been granted for the image to be used as such...

It will be interesting to see how it goes... I still haven't seen a shirt though :(

Hopefully you'll see a pile of shirts......I'll buy one from YOU!

Going to the mall this weekend, w/o the wife, to search for this shirt. Have a big Nordstroms out here in Oakbrook, IL.. Soooooo IF I find a few are you willing to trade for some of your cool stuff?LOL

Back