Hey, new guy here, well, I'm old but new here... :)

radxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I saved an XS 650 from the chopping block, kid you not.

I am so excited, a '78 650 that runs friggin' great, nearly completely stock, needs a few things but hey, so do I.. lol Check out the broken tank badge, I can't any either but I'm in no hurry. What a sweet machine.

I'll probably have some questions as I go along with checking the XS over but for now I'll poke around the archives to answer my own questions as they come up.

Best,
Rob

cGG6HL.jpg

Cool looks worth saving for sure Yeah those 78-79 std tank badges are real hard to find with shiny gold still on them.
Welcome to the nut house radxs650. Start a build fix restore thread? Shh it's a secret, but we likes pictures.

Last edited:
Welcome RadXS from Canada’s sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario! That sure is a pretty bike and well worth saving!

Please ask all the questions you can and yes, we DO like pictures!

Pete

PS - I’ve never seen a luggage rack like that on a 650 and before someone else says it, I just say...

....that’s a nice rack you’ve got there!

I like that little rack too. Looks like the bolt that holds the header pipe to the frame is missing on the right hand side, at 5 o'clock under the front foot peg. That old exhaust will look like a jigsaw puzzle without that bolt.

Scott

Yup - I think Scott is correct on that and if I were you, I’d whip the correct size metric bolt in there. One of the hardest things to replace are original chrome exhaust parts and you don’t want anything to fall off.

....as for that broken emblem - if you can find the original Yamaha part number (try Partzilla - they have all of the OEM parts fiiches online) just enter the number into your search window and you might be surprised to find what comes up.

EDIT: I just checked and here is the p/n for the RH side emblem:

2F0-24162-10-00

Just cut and paste that part number with no other words into your web browser and / or search on eBay and someday, somewhere, it may turn up.

I got a nice early-model long clutch push rod (generally felt to work better than the later two piece version) using JUST the Yamaha OEM part number. It was still in the original Ya,aha packaging from 1972 and it cost me $16 shipped.

Last edited:
Great old survivor! Welcome to the site. Yeah you need to start a build thread so we can follow your progress and help you with questions.

Welcome Rad,

The last of the Standards and looks to be good............As others have said the original mufflers are like hens teeth to find and if the chrome and interior is good those couple of dents makes it real.........Nice to save a good runner...........

Can get replacement badges for around $54..........https://www.diablocycle.com/Yamaha-1978-1979-XS650-Fuel-Tank-Badge.html

Worth a look around the site as they do sell some XS650 gear.........

Ask before buying anything from anywhere, lots of aftermarket suppliers these days and sometimes Yamaha supplied pieces are best bought from Yamaha, (if available), on a Quality basis although you may pay a little more..........Information is freely given

Things like Gauge Dampers, can be home made or bought, or some of the obscure rubber parts..........Lots of tutorials and handy info on howto's, Information is freely given so ask.......

Oh yea if no one has mentioned it PIC's are a must.......:whistle:

radxs650 , Really like seeing your new find !
That is a beauty bike !
You'll find this site XS650.com full of helpful surprises! And Very helpful members. Please do enjoy and keep us entertained as well .

And about the tank badge, I happen to have this extra right side one. Tho it's a little faded. Price is right. (free) to your nice bike.
A different option is to use the shinier bigger gold tank badges from a "Special" model. They are soft and can be stuck on .
Here's a pic to get you thinking .
- RT 20181211_211114.jpg

I think you may have a '79 model there, not a '78. Little difference really except for the pin striping and side cover decals. Yes, those tank badges are difficult to find. Took me years to find a right side replacement for mine that wasn't priced like something they would stick on the side of the space shuttle, lol.

I think you may have a '79 model there, not a '78. Little difference really except for the pin striping and side cover decals. Yes, those tank badges are difficult to find. Took me years to find a right side replacement for mine that wasn't priced like something they would stick on the side of the space shuttle, lol.
Agree, think 78 was black and the 79 starlight blue. 78 tank stripe is a complete circle 79 ends at the bottom. 78 side covers had decals 79 emblems.
Typically bikes built after July 78 would be 79's, build, shipping, distribution delays.
This pic is 79

Attachments

• 79 std 002.JPG
    79 std 002.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 120
Ooooooooo! That's a beauty, Rob! And welcome to the party! Did anybody mention we like pictures? And what "northeast" state? Must be one that doesn't use salt on the roads, 'cause even when you ride in the summer only, traces remain, and stuff rusts bad anyways...

Hey Rob,
Welcome to the site from another Northeasterner.
I would guess you're from southern PA or maybe NJ from that snowless picture.
Very nice catch of an XS; its a keeper.
Like the others, I really like that sparsely-engineered luggage rack..

A '79 Standard is pretty rare as far as I know. I've never seen one in my area. You definitely have a keeper there. Apply the usual little improvements and tweaks you'll find on the site here and you'll have one fine classic bike to reliably tool around on.

A couple of weeks ago I saved an XS 650 from the chopping block, kid you not.

I am so excited, a '78 650 that runs friggin' great, nearly completely stock, needs a few things but hey, so do I.. lol Check out the broken tank badge, I can't any either but I'm in no hurry. What a sweet machine.

I'll probably have some questions as I go along with checking the XS over but for now I'll poke around the archives to answer my own questions as they come up.

Best,
Rob

cGG6HL.jpg

Hi Rob and welcome,
I had a pair of those pretty wire wheels on my '84 Heritage Special for a while.
They are now on my son's '80 special because he's spry enough to bend down and clean 'em.
If your late model Standard has the same stock front brake as the rest of the post '76 bikes it's master cylinder
is sized to work dual front brakes. Swap it out for one with half the piston area.

Last edited:
Back