Hey, new guy here, well, I'm old but new here... :)

Thanks for the greetings and warm welcome folks, gonna dig it here. You all seem so helpful although I couldn't quite tell if you like photos or not so I'll chance it and post some ;)

So here's the deal
Frame # is 2F0 - 021231
Engine # 4M4 - 004426
Build Date 7/1978

- gggGary, Does that make it a '79 Model...?

I tend to agree with the evidence that it is a '79 based on the color and pin striping.

It was such a lucky find, I am so excited to have been able to bring it home. I have been a long time Triumph and Moto Guzzi rider among others, off road stuff.
Back in the day a friend of mine had the '73, maybe earlier XS650, the model with a little trigger style starter engagement, looked like a small clutch or brake lever...
Anyway
that friggin' thing Never broke down, always started and ran great while was checking points or something or other...

To say I am happy with the purchase is a wicked understatement.

- Oh Dude, we are in Maine BTW, as far North East as it gets... I shot that photo a few days ago with no snow on the deck.

First thing to do is order a Tech Manual and Parts Book, kind of a Tech Manual nut, need one for each machine that we have here.

The tank badge issue is a problem, appreciate the link on what is available, Mike's XS didn't have any, eBay is full of the ones from China, not that there's anything wrong with that.. lol

- MaxPete, I'll check out the P/N, thanks, funny story, my Son-In-Law's name is Peter and our oldest Grandson is Maxwell... ;)
- mrtwowheel, Copy that on the exhaust bolt(s), I checked the other side and that is out too...! No idea why, the threads look good and the tab is lined up so I'll just replace them, thanks.

So yeah, I'll start another thread with progress and questions as I go along.
I have got a ton of other work to do, Hawk GT needs a jet kit, one of the Guzzis needs fork seals, I have a full restoration of a Norton on one of the lifts right now. Crazy times.

Thanks again all,
And as much as you don't approve, I will post some photos... ;)

Best,
Rob - aka xsrad650

A '78 Triumph Bonneville acquired back in Sept in need of a rescue:

DsdKaH.jpg

On the missing carbs on the Bonnie.... you gonna be a purist and fight the good fight with Amals, or upgrade to a more civilized carb?

On the missing carbs on the Bonnie.... you gonna be a purist and fight the good fight with Amals, or upgrade to a more civilized carb?

Jim,
Yup, prolly use the Amals, they appear to be in good shape plus I have tons of jet options and schtuff to sort them out if needed. I really do not know much about the history of this T-140V so I do not know if the Amals are actually good or not but that never stopped me before.

The Norton 850 that is here for a good going through has a giant Mikuni on it and that thing runs great with the carb dialed in well although the owner complains that the mileage sucks... I'll check the main and see if that can go down just a tad without killing the performance. I had installed a Sudco Mikuni unit on a different Norton some years ago, nice set up.

Now, I do use PWKs on this T-160 Trident and they are awesome. I have the stock 626 units but really, not need to go back, it runs sweet, no flat spots or hesitation at all, just fluid in acceleration.

pSyNlm.png

I've owned a fair amount of Britt bikes (used to live there) but I never scored a Trident... :( you lucky dog... ;)
Was a time when I knew Amals like the back of my hand and had tons of parts too. I'd go with 'em too. Lucas on the other hand...

Rad,
Is this your private collection of bikes or do you have a repair shop or.....
Just curious, I love import bikes too.

Jim,
Just my stuff, it is a real sickness, Triumphs have been in my blood for years, I have restored quite a few, kept a couple. E,v,e,r,y time a vintage Triumph project shows up for sale near me I am compelled to rescue it...

I ride mostly Guzzis on the road, the Hawk GT fetish is really bizarre, I have owned five of them, gave one to my Daughter some years ago and she still rides it.
There are tons of off-road XR Hondas here for the kid's kiddos, a vintage Dalesman Trials bike, an RZ 350, another Guzzi with a Hack (sidecar). There is a BMW R 100 RT to do that just took a back seat because of this XS.. yeah, just a sick hobby. Plus, to make sure that I have no time to do anything else, we have the MGB and '69 VeeDub that I am restoring. Just crazy... and I have a very understanding soul mate of a Wife that puts up with all this.

I do take on a long term project every once in a while, when I feel that I have the time to dedicate to a resto, it is not a business, just for riding friends.

We bought an HD five years ago, Wife Sue has long not been comfy on long trips on some of the Guzzis and I told her she was only going to be comfortable on a Wing or a Harley and I'm not buying a Wing.. wink-wink.
On the test ride she leaned in and said "You're gonna buy this thing aren't you...?" I said "Yes Ma'am" :)

One of my favorite Moto Guzzis... a 2004 1100 EV Touring model.

UspAMc.jpg

VERY nice collection! I've always had a thing for early Tridents too - the ultimate in late 1960's exotica....

For touring - if you need more power and weather protection, you might consider a Honda ST1300. I've got a 2007 and it is as reliable as a GW but not quite so bulky and handles much better. They can be had very inexpensively and last foooorrrrevvveeerrrrr.

Pete
2007_Honda-ST1300ABS.jpg

Thanks for the greetings and warm welcome folks, gonna dig it here. You all seem so helpful although I couldn't quite tell if you like photos or not so I'll chance it and post some ;)

So here's the deal
Frame # is 2F0 - 021231
Engine # 4M4 - 004426
Build Date 7/1978

- gggGary, Does that make it a '79 Model...?

I tend to agree with the evidence that it is a '79 based on the color and pin striping.

It was such a lucky find, I am so excited to have been able to bring it home. I have been a long time Triumph and Moto Guzzi rider among others, off road stuff.
Back in the day a friend of mine had the '73, maybe earlier XS650, the model with a little trigger style starter engagement, looked like a small clutch or brake lever...
Anyway
that friggin' thing Never broke down, always started and ran great while was checking points or something or other...

To say I am happy with the purchase is a wicked understatement.

- Oh Dude, we are in Maine BTW, as far North East as it gets... I shot that photo a few days ago with no snow on the deck.

First thing to do is order a Tech Manual and Parts Book, kind of a Tech Manual nut, need one for each machine that we have here.

The tank badge issue is a problem, appreciate the link on what is available, Mike's XS didn't have any, eBay is full of the ones from China, not that there's anything wrong with that.. lol

- MaxPete, I'll check out the P/N, thanks, funny story, my Son-In-Law's name is Peter and our oldest Grandson is Maxwell... ;)
- mrtwowheel, Copy that on the exhaust bolt(s), I checked the other side and that is out too...! No idea why, the threads look good and the tab is lined up so I'll just replace them, thanks.

So yeah, I'll start another thread with progress and questions as I go along.
I have got a ton of other work to do, Hawk GT needs a jet kit, one of the Guzzis needs fork seals, I have a full restoration of a Norton on one of the lifts right now. Crazy times.

Thanks again all,
And as much as you don't approve, I will post some photos... ;)

Best,
Rob - aka xsrad650

A '78 Triumph Bonneville acquired back in Sept in need of a rescue:

DsdKaH.jpg
Hi Rob,
what kinda Norton, eh?
here's one at the 2 years ago Red Deer CVMG swapmeet. With a big ol' NOT FOR SALE sign.
dlAttach[1].jpg
1935 International. Although it's chromed oil tank is somewhat of an over-restoration
the modern 2LS front brake is a necessary upgrade for use on modern roads.

I've owned a fair amount of Britt bikes (used to live there) but I never scored a Trident... :( you lucky dog... ;)
Was a time when I knew Amals like the back of my hand and had tons of parts too. I'd go with 'em too. Lucas on the other hand...

Well Dammit Jim,
quit knocking the Prince of Darkness, eh?
We put Lucas gear on our Jet Engines at BAC and it worked great because we paid top whack for the good stuff.
The amount that cheapskate Brit vehicle mfrs were willing to pay for electrics it's a compliment to Lucas that their stuff worked at all.

But Fred - did it actually work - at all?
iStock_000002723742Large1.jpg

Hi Pete,
better than Wipac, anyway.
My BSA Bantam was the "De Luxe" model. It was upgraded from Wipac electrics to Lucas and it even had a battery.
Back 'ome I could only afford to buy extremely pre-owned bikes and their Lucas electrics were never the cause of their frequent operational failures.
Even my ex-WD 350 Royal Enfield's Lucas magdyno never quit on me and that bike had gone through WW2.

VERY nice collection! I've always had a thing for early Tridents too - the ultimate in late 1960's exotica....

For touring - if you need more power and weather protection, you might consider a Honda ST1300. I've got a 2007 and it is as reliable as a GW but not quite so bulky and handles much better. They can be had very inexpensively and last foooorrrrevvveeerrrrr.

Pete
View attachment 131454

Pete,
We have quite a few riders here that have either STs or FJRs and they are very capable and reliable rides however, Sue does not like the Sport Touring platform seat. She is a bit on the short side and getting up and over is a task for her. We have had the Guzzi Norge which is very similar in style. I could use one solo but not for two-up....
Thanks,
Rob

Back