Hi All. I'm new to the forum

thuban

Horse Scratcher
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I first found this forum around the first of July after watching a you tube of a XS650 build by OldBiker. I learned parts were available for the XS and with the information and expertise on this forum I was fired up!
So happened I dug out a 77 XS650 I had stashed in the back of the barn behind a 71 Chevelle over 30 years ago.
I wish to thank, especially, and in no special order, the efforts of Jim, XSLeo, 5Twins, Peanut, 650Skull, Mailman, 2Many, MaxPete, & gggGary in providing the info I needed to restore this bike. I built the bike in doors so I haven't started it yet but I have no doubt it will perform. (After many hundreds of hours and a few thousand dollars it had better...I do have whiskey) The only thing I don't have is the little rubber cover that goes over the front caliper bleeder. Who knows where it went? I can't say you didn't tell me to Squeeze the Spring on the Starter Bendix and check it with a scale. That was a do-over. ( Turned fine with the plugs out. Lucky I checked it with the plugs in! ) Way back there some place 5Twins answered a question like " Well, yeah you can get oil up to the top end IF your prepared to kick a while." (on a new build) I think he ment one could retire again on that job. I never did see oil up at the tappets even running the starter with the plugs out. ( I didn't do that much. Didn't want to run the starter any more that I had to) By the time I had caught my breath from kicking the oil probably had run back down in the bottom and I ain't no spring chicken. I also didn't put the pump up dry but...She will work. Before I roll it out in the heat, to start it and do all the post start checks, I want to replace the carb bowl screws with allen head. Hind sight IS 20-20. The bike is kinda like my ole lady. She don't look too bad from a distance but a little closer and some parts of her does!
Ya'll got some good looking bikes and I hate to put this one up there but I'll try to get a pix of it up soon if that's ok?
I do have one question. Point plate rotation; is CW rotation advance and CCW rotation retard? That timing chain was TIGHT and I was just able to get it static timed at full CCW.
Thanks again for all the great info and sorry for the long post.

Thu

Welcome to the forum Thu!! ...and yes we love pics here. It ain't gotta look like a beauty queen... we love 'em all. ;)
I do have one question. Point plate rotation; is CW rotation advance and CCW rotation retard?
Correct. Viewed from the left, the engines rotating CCW.... so if you move the plate CCW, you retarded it.

Did I mention we like pics? :rolleyes:

Should have added... I remove the plugs and the valve tappet adjusters so the cams not trying to open the valves. Now the starters just loafing. 15 - 20 seconds on... 15 - 20 sec off... within a minute or so you should see oil running down the rocker arms.

Thank you for the welcome Mailman. That's some list and a clean bike too! I'm looking to read a manual for the 77 to see why the lights/switches are set up like they are when the ignition switch is in the "Run" and full right position. Hummmm. Bought the Chevelle new. We have a history.
Thu

Welcome to forum, Thuban !
Looking forward to some pics.

I had a '77 a few years ago, but I sold it to some guy who then sold it to a dude in NYC with red shoes.
RedShoes77sm.jpg

....but we don't tell that story anymore. Some things are best left unsaid.

Happily, I have 4 other XS's.

Glad you are enjoying your time here with some great fellas.
Make sure to vote on the calendar !

http://www.xs650.com/threads/2020-xs650-calendar-vote-here.55776/page-2#post-612530

Hi Thu! Welcome to the party! There's more info, tips, and how-to's here than you could imagine! And everybody shares, everybody helps. That's why this is such a great site. Did anyone mention posting pictures? (We're nosy!) "She don't look too bad from a distance..."? Show me a 40-year-old anything (with the exception of some of the nut-and-bolt restorations you'll find on here...that look better than new) that doesn't have a "few" parts that look less than perfect. The important thing is to have a bike that is safe and reliable (as much as an old machine can be). All the important systems: brakes, tires, electrical, :yikes: suspension, etc. need to be gone over before you take it any distance. Did we mention pictures? These motorcycles were meant to be ridden, not trailer queens. Go for it, and keep us posted with your progress. And send pictures. :doh: Good luck, and best wishes. :bike:

Should have added... I remove the plugs and the valve tappet adjusters so the cams not trying to open the valves. Now the starters just loafing. 15 - 20 seconds on... 15 - 20 sec off... within a minute or so you should see oil running down the rocker arms.
Thanks Jim. I did run a duty cycle on the starter. I just didn't stay with it long enough. I did use assembly lube on everything and looking forward to first start since 1984, maybe this evening if it don't rain.

Yeah, Yeah... Somewhere back there you told somebody how to prepare and post pix. ( See I been reading, Honest!) I'll have to hunt it down. Got a doc appointment today; screws coming for the float bowls. (Should be fun since the bike is fully assembled.) Thanks for all your help gggGary!

What I've done, Thu, is import my pictures, from my camera (or phone) to my laptop, under the "Pictures" file. Then when I'm posting (here), 'click' "Upload an Image or File", and when it asks you, 'browse' your picture files for the picture you want. Double click it, and your post will ask if you want "Thumbnail" or "Full size" image. Thumbnail is usually adequate. The more of it you do, the easier it gets. Good luck. :bike:

Hi Thu! Welcome to the party! There's more info, tips, and how-to's here than you could imagine! And everybody shares, everybody helps. That's why this is such a great site. Did anyone mention posting pictures? (We're nosy!) "She don't look too bad from a distance..."? Show me a 40-year-old anything (with the exception of some of the nut-and-bolt restorations you'll find on here...that look better than new) that doesn't have a "few" parts that look less than perfect. The important thing is to have a bike that is safe and reliable (as much as an old machine can be). All the important systems: brakes, tires, electrical, :yikes: suspension, etc. need to be gone over before you take it any distance. Did we mention pictures? These motorcycles were meant to be ridden, not trailer queens. Go for it, and keep us posted with your progress. And send pictures. :doh: Good luck, and best wishes. :bike:
59Tebo, Thank you for the welcome. Was a tear down and ground up build. Yep, the information here, hundreds of years of experience and knowledge.

What I've done, Thu, is import my pictures, from my camera (or phone) to my laptop, under the "Pictures" file. Then when I'm posting (here), 'click' "Upload an Image or File", and when it asks you, 'browse' your picture files for the picture you want. Double click it, and your post will ask if you want "Thumbnail" or "Full size" image. Thumbnail is usually adequate. The more of it you do, the easier it gets. Good luck. :bike:
Ok, 59Tebo, I think I got it. Got to feed thousands of pounds of hungry now and haul the ole lady to the docs. I'll try to post up a before and after later. Thank you.

Back