Hi All. I'm new to the forum

AD4BCAF5-3D55-4B28-B533-227E0E6FA092.gif

Just look at how even Tweetie can over flex the steering stem bushings
Just aggressively riding
:laughing:

When you tighten the bolts you will have something in between new rubbers and HH solid bushings.
Does this work Paul?. I remember seeing a post from member "Chopper Robb" who was selling risers like the one shown below (2012). There was some discussion at the time that the polycarbonate would eventually crack under torque pressure and forces described by Jim, 5Twins and Fred above. Never heard anymore about them. I assume that the 4mm "chopping board" washers you suggest provide an element of rigidity to the risers without compromising the transmission of vibration. Have you actually tried this? Do they last?

Attachments

• P9030032.jpg
    P9030032.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 129
Does this work Paul?. I remember seeing a post from member "Chopper Robb" who was selling risers like the one shown below (2012). There was some discussion at the time that the polycarbonate would eventually crack under torque pressure and forces described by Jim, 5Twins and Fred above. Never heard anymore about them. I assume that the 4mm "chopping board" washers you suggest provide an element of rigidity to the risers without compromising the transmission of vibration. Have you actually tried this? Do they last?

David, that gives me an idea. I'm 6'2" and no problem putting my feet flat on the ground when mounted ( No, the other mounted) I like the pullbacks because they give me more wiggle room and don't make me feel like I'm bunched up and reaching over. Might use "risers" to raise a more standard type of bars? Might look goofey too.

Yep, Jim, I don't mind changing the rubber bushings as needed. But some over eager, low life, high smelling, low down old fart thought he could load the bike on the trailer by himself - Can Do! Make it Happen! - :banghead: Got to get the Inspection sticker and then the tags and good to go! :cussing: Got the bike on the trailer and front wheel in the new and bolted down carrier. Put the side stand down just to be safe. Reached for the first tie-down and it flopped outa the carrier like a dead fish and onto the rail of the trailer. Ohhh, Man. Fats in the fire. What part of the bike I can't replace cushioned the fall? How am I gona get it back up and off the trailer without sho-nuff screwing up something. :shrug: I was madder than a midget with a yoyo! I jumped off the trailer, ran around and with my left hands bony fingers under the bars at the triple tree and my right hand on the grab bar, lifted the bike to standing, pulled it toward me lifted it into the air, over the rail of the trailer, brought it to waist level, lowered the center stand with my teeth and set it on the ground. :bs: Ok, I used straps and the front end loader on the tractor. But NOW I was CAREFUL! Little late! Oh well, I'm gona see if my buddy will give me a hand, get it inspected and after the paperwork, then I'll tackle fixing the tank. It was the only thing hurt. Looks like somebody took a swing at it with a piece of 2 X 2 angle! Thu
crash.jpg

David, that gives me an idea. I'm 6'2" and no problem putting my feet flat on the ground when mounted ( No, the other mounted) I like the pullbacks because they give me more wiggle room and don't make me feel like I'm bunched up and reaching over. Might use "risers" to raise a more standard type of bars? Might look goofey too.

Yep, Jim, I don't mind changing the rubber bushings as needed. But some over eager, low life, high smelling, low down old fart thought he could load the bike on the trailer by himself - Can Do! Make it Happen! - :banghead: Got to get the Inspection sticker and then the tags and good to go! :cussing: Got the bike on the trailer and front wheel in the new and bolted down carrier. Put the side stand down just to be safe. Reached for the first tie-down and it flopped outa the carrier like a dead fish and onto the rail of the trailer. Ohhh, Man. Fats in the fire. What part of the bike I can't replace cushioned the fall? How am I gona get it back up and off the trailer without sho-nuff screwing up something. :shrug: I was madder than a midget with a yoyo! I jumped off the trailer, ran around and with my left hands bony fingers under the bars at the triple tree and my right hand on the grab bar, lifted the bike to standing, pulled it toward me lifted it into the air, over the rail of the trailer, brought it to waist level, lowered the center stand with my teeth and set it on the ground. :bs: Ok, I used straps and the front end loader on the tractor. But NOW I was CAREFUL! Little late! Oh well, I'm gona see if my buddy will give me a hand, get it inspected and after the paperwork, then I'll tackle fixing the tank. It was the only thing hurt. Looks like somebody took a swing at it with a piece of 2 X 2 angle! Thu
View attachment 150876
Ouch !!

Or you could use standard risers and fit a bar like these. The heavily muscled, tattoo set ride with these on the Gold Coast. Not my image but I'm not 6/2.
Cheers

Attachments

• Grip-601-Chrome-1__50295.1526896903.jpg
    Grip-601-Chrome-1__50295.1526896903.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 129
Notice, I didn't mention the fallen motorcycle.

I know, David . Your a good man. Doesn't pay to be old, dumb and stupid! Hahaha

Hummm, In my own defense, I was not drinking at the time! Horses don't fall over when you turn your back to pick up the rope/tiedown.

Last edited:
The "...old 2 x 4 under the rear tire, so you can put the bike on the center stand by yourself" trick is for real. I transported my 3 Xs650s (two face front, the third, in the middle facing backwards) on a cargo trailer, with no wheel carriers. They were all on the center stands. A few ratcheting tie-downs later, not one of them budged so much as an inch. Give it a shot, next time you're using the trailer. And, offer one of your buddies BEER! if he can give you a hand, for a few minutes... :wink2:

David Toll, yep it does work. Ran mine like that for 3 years. That extra 4mm results in the bushings expanding sideways when the bar mounts are bolted in place. Gives a firmer feel.

Yes, often worn or slightly worn dampers can be fixed by shimming them with washers. The washers should be placed on top or better yet, in between the dampers (red arrows). Putting them on the bottom does nothing .....

CEjb4DQ.jpg

Yes, often worn or slightly worn dampers can be fixed by shimming them with washers. The washers should be placed on top or better yet, in between the dampers (red arrows). Putting them on the bottom does nothing .....

5Twins,
Hummm I bet the trailer tie-downs don't do them any favors. ( That is, if you can get them on before your bike flops over) :)

The "...old 2 x 4 under the rear tire, so you can put the bike on the center stand by yourself" trick is for real. I transported my 3 Xs650s (two face front, the third, in the middle facing backwards) on a cargo trailer, with no wheel carriers. They were all on the center stands. A few ratcheting tie-downs later, not one of them budged so much as an inch. Give it a shot, next time you're using the trailer. And, offer one of your buddies BEER! if he can give you a hand, for a few minutes... :wink2:

59Tebo! That's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow morning! I'm gona go ahead and get the paperwork done and I'll worry about the tank repair later. Got all winter for that. Thanks.
Thu

Thanks Paul & 5T. I think I'll try that washer technique with some new bushings - might manage to get the best of both worlds and if it doesn't work, I can buy Hugh's set and do the comparison Fred suggested. Will let you know how it goes.

Thu, might be a time to look on the brighter side. That dent could have been caused by an enthusiastic attempt on a slippery corner. Looks to be right where a 6'2" knee would have been. I can imagine your disgust but, in the long run, it's easier to fix the metal. She's still a lovely motorcycle!

With new bushings, you shouldn't need shim washers. Although I'm aware of the "fix", I've never had to implement it. I haven't encountered any worn out handlebar bushings yet.

Last evening with at least two threads of handlebar bushings in mind , with attention I installed my own bushings.
4 out of 8 in my possession were slightly cracked horizontally. The other 4 were good and were chosen. The fit was good. Seeing no need for any spacer washers I did decide on the top washers from a “Special” model.
(Item #20 in the diagram) the Special washers are superior in shape as they have a slight cup shape and are actually larger in diameter covering all the bushing top rubber unlike the older Standard washers which were flat and actually smaller in diameter than the bushings.
Fresh black paint. They look good and feel good. Called it good ;)

Attachments

• E21CCB4A-96AF-4E7E-88E7-DD70A7E691B2.jpeg
    E21CCB4A-96AF-4E7E-88E7-DD70A7E691B2.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 141
  • B8F20661-26D8-43C3-8434-28DF3B4E0A2E.jpeg
    B8F20661-26D8-43C3-8434-28DF3B4E0A2E.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 8248CA46-ABD6-487B-8994-0CA454F99FDB.jpeg
    8248CA46-ABD6-487B-8994-0CA454F99FDB.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 150
Thanks Paul & 5T. I think I'll try that washer technique with some new bushings - might manage to get the best of both worlds and if it doesn't work, I can buy Hugh's set and do the comparison Fred suggested. Will let you know how it goes.

Thu, might be a time to look on the brighter side. That dent could have been caused by an enthusiastic attempt on a slippery corner. Looks to be right where a 6'2" knee would have been. I can imagine your disgust but, in the long run, it's easier to fix the metal. She's still a lovely motorcycle!

Thanks David. Your right about the corner. I still got both eyes, all my fangers and toes too. Ohhh, hey, 5twins is right. New rubbers from Mike's and it will be all you need. ( Hummm, statement just looks wrong) Wonder If I can pick a brain real quick. Are the 76 and 77 tanks a match except for the paint?
A closer look at my winter project. Not a dent. It's a crease.
dent1.jpg

OW, OW, OW, OW, OW!!!!! :yikes: Aw, dang, Thu. That ain't gonna rub out. Maybe weld a large steel bearing to the end of a curved piece of round stock, and try working out the worst of it? Ya know, go in through the filler? :shrug:

Thanks David. Your right about the corner. I still got both eyes, all my fangers and toes too. Ohhh, hey, 5twins is right. New rubbers from Mike's and it will be all you need. ( Hummm, statement just looks wrong) Wonder If I can pick a brain real quick. Are the 76 and 77 tanks a match except for the paint?
A closer look at my winter project. Not a dent. It's a crease.
View attachment 150972

Oh man! I feel your pain. I don’t know what it is, but I seem to have a knack for knocking over motorcycles. I knocked over my new Triumph one time, dented the tank, broke a turn signal , ruined the chrome headlight ring,
ruined a chrome accessory spot light. And oh yeah......my clutch lever left a 15” crease down the driver side door of my new car!
And I only wish I could say, that was the last motorcycle I ever knocked over. :doh:

It happens...you’ll get it fixed, but it sure does suck.

Oh man! I feel your pain. I don’t know what it is, but I seem to have a knack for knocking over motorcycles. I knocked over my new Triumph one time, dented the tank, broke a turn signal , ruined the chrome headlight ring,
ruined a chrome accessory spot light. And oh yeah......my clutch lever left a 15” crease down the driver side door of my new car!
And I only wish I could say, that was the last motorcycle I ever knocked over. :doh:

It happens...you’ll get it fixed, but it sure does suck.

Tebo, Mailman,
Yep, When I was younger I was still stupid! Hahahah Some things never change. Hind sight is 20-20 but had I know this was gona happen I would have rode the thing to the Insp. Station and chanced getting pulled over. Yeah, Tebo, it ain't gona rub out! Hahahah

Had to edit this , Tebo. Yep, can make me a tool and I need something like an electric air hammer. I could separate the top and bottom of the tank but sure don't want to. I got a wire welder and powder torch so...It's not gona be paint-less dent repair. That was why I was wondering if the 76 and 77 tanks were alike Except for the paint?
Thu

Last edited:
Back