Hi All. I'm new to the forum

Machine, nice hook spanners. Where'd you get those?

Mrtwins, those are AIGO brand made in Japan. (Picture not actual size)
Having worked way too long in machine shop environments I really can’t remember where I got those?
(which Japanese CNC machine tool box)
:whistle:
Update- Steering stem, triple clamp, fork pinch bolts, headlight ears, handlebar bushings,
Everything sequentially tightened in alignment resulted in a Very smooth and tight handlebar feel:cool:

Attachments

• 8684DAB8-3ED2-4932-8189-101D74B0F7DC.jpeg
    8684DAB8-3ED2-4932-8189-101D74B0F7DC.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 68D969E4-145B-41F9-8820-17CA15B4D62B.jpeg
    68D969E4-145B-41F9-8820-17CA15B4D62B.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 9ADEC14D-F456-4199-8A52-BEFC583518B6.jpeg
    9ADEC14D-F456-4199-8A52-BEFC583518B6.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Good news, bad news, Thu. Good news: I think any year tank will work. Bad news: there were variations throughout the series. I can't remember where (on here), but somebody posted the differences throughout the years. As a restoration, you'll want the exact year, and maybe someone on here will have one. As a resto-mod, you could use just about anything. "The Basketcase" will very probably have an after-market Paughco Mustang tank ('cuz despite all the body work I did on the original, it's pretty much roached), and I'm okay with that. As roached as the whole bike was, there won't be much original left anyways. Kinda why I won't feel (too) bad chopping it into an old-school (sorta) chop/brat/bobber. :shrug: But yours (far as I can see) is in such good condition, I'd go the restoration route... :twocents:

Tebo,
Yes, I think it was 650Skull that put up some differences between tanks. I went by that. I believe the 76 tank had regular petcocks. Tank looks the same but the depression the fuel cap sits in may be different. I think my best bet, if not a 77 tank is a 76. Machine is right. Petcocks may just swap over on a 76, may not and would have to be dual, which a 76 is - also the gas cap, if the depression around the cap is the same, but at this point, I can't be sure. But it has to be a decal tank .
A place in Canada sells a tank that comes in black, modeled after the XS650D. It's not cheap at $375.00, but it's a moot point since they don't ship out of Canada. Never can tell what the U.S. market will give you. Petcocks from Mikes didn't even come with a strainer on the stand pipes.
If I had not been able to find a full set of decals, that would have really been the pits.

Machine, that's a good looking tank. If I were to get a tank like that I would have to glass over the emblem area. I really don't want to do that.
Thanks for all the help, guys!
Thu

Last edited:
According to parts listings, '77 and earlier petcocks were all the same .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=847c63d5575ce3ab61f464e27689dd5dfa8528ab

'78 saw the change to a vacuum petcock but besides that, the big issue is the distance between the mounting screws changed (larger).

5Twins,
Yeah, It seems like, for the 77 year model, they were flipping coins to see what to change. Then I'm gona assume the petcocks will fit one to the other. Oh, hey, good news! I got it inspected today and the tags! It looked new except for the bashed tank. They didn't have me take it off the trailer or anything. I Just had to start it and work everything. It fired the first kick and was soon surrounded; people up on the trailer, stooped down running their hands all over it like a deep south payer meeting...oops...not supposed to mention religion. My Bad.

Thu

Yes, they were once quite common, everyone had one. Now you don't hardly see any. I went to a vintage show a few weeks ago and was surprised to see no 650s.

Yes, they were once quite common, everyone had one. Now you don't hardly see any. I went to a vintage show a few weeks ago and was surprised to see no 650s.

5twins,
I guess 40 or so plus years down the road now and they are Bobbers and such. Anything other than a restore and you can have a nice bike for a lot less money than a restore. At the rate they are selling parts for these on E-bay, well, you know, these are bikes that are no more.
Thu

"It's only original once." It's been said before, will be again. Yes. A restoration is very spendy, especially some of the nut-and-bolt jobs you'll find on this forum (You know who you guys are! :thumbsup: ). Survivor bikes are cheaper, just less shiny. Resto-mods can look stock (or not), then there's the full-blow customs, which believe it or don't, can be very affordable. But the heart :heart: and soul of all Xs650s is that marvelous SOHC twin. :bike: You gotta love 'em all!

If you are patient, and watch Craigslist very closely, you can find a survivor.
A few years ago, my '75 appeared locally. No pics, seller wanted $1600. Top end just done. Ran pretty well.
4 Hours after the posting appeared, I was there, with cash. Got it for $1400.
75.Ride 040.5.jpg

About the same time there was an '83 on Craigs for $1700. It sat there for 4 months; I thought, "Do I have room for a fifth XS650?"
Went up to Phoenix, NY, gave it a test drive, picked it up for $1450, came home and put a set of Euro bars on it.

1983.Ride 001.JPG

Yes, I usually go the "resto-mod" route with mine. I like them to remain pretty stock looking but I do most of the usual little tweaks and mods to improve them. That's one of the things I like about these. There's so much you can do to improve them, much of it very low cost. They're a "tinkerer's delight", lol. I've finally finished most of the major renovating on my '83. Still ahead are some minor electrical tweaks and improvements. I want to add a headlight on-off switch and get rid of the "always on" tail light stock configuration. I also want to move my voltmeter power tap-in closer to the ignition switch. As it is now, there's too many connections between it and the key so it reads a few tenths of a volt low.

Thuban, can't help with the tank, (which I think is a hole you'll have to buy your way out of unfortunately), but I was just looking through the calendar nominations and noticed that tzimmerm's bike is almost a twin for yours, notably the bars. Maybe this model did come out with the pullback bars. Either that or the PO's of both motorcycles were cousins who appreciated Fred's hated pullbacks. It's over 700miles from Paris to Iowa City so collusion is unlikely. Curious.

David, Yep. I've already got an idea to repair the tank. I also like tzimmerm's bike! As I said someplace, I think they flipped a coin to see what they would put on the 77's.
Thanks David!
Thu

I think they flipped a coin to see what they would put on the 77's.
:umm: I took a look too.
See the chrome headlight bucket ? The front fender also looks to have the “Special” rounder wider nose shape?
The buck horn bars and corresponding slanted master cylinder casting. The necessary longer clutch cable for the bars. And that chrome rear grab rail ?
All these mentioned items tell me some 78/79 Special parts found their way to this 77 ... pretty sure
:D
-R

Machine, You got a good eye. I had to replace the front fender because the front end had been hit so hard, so many times, forks, triple tree was bent. This FB master cylinder, I got on e-bay and rebuilt. The other was beyond saving and with the tilt of these bars It works well. The mirrors are after market. ( Have the clip-ons that came on it that have the tuning fork brand) The grab rail was what I wanted. I like the look. ( It's the last chance for the "twins" to get a grip as the bikes gets out from under me) They didn't say I'd have to cut off the grab loop, under the edge of the seat, to get it to fit until I had bought the thing. But I have a powder torch and I can remount it If I want. Replaced the head lite bucket. Other one was off a 50 Willis? Seat cover is different. Handle bars, who knows. Replaced shocks, plug wires, seat cover, head stud copper washers, added volt meter and gel battery... and I think that's it. I just did not want Johnny Cashes caddy, you know?
Thu

Tzimmer bought those buckhorns from someone on the forum 2-3 months ago.
OK, that clears up that mystery. For a moment there I thought we may have identified a discrepancy in Yamaha's production series. Oh well, I'll look for controversy elsewhere. Never-the-less, it does make the point that at least two owners have deliberately opted for the pullback bars. Thaddeus' bike picked up 38 votes and 12 more in the tie breaker, so the things aren't universally unpopular. Thanks Jim.
Had a look on eBay and found this, (see PDF), '77 tank for $145.00 (US) located in North Ridgeville, Ohio.
Seller's description reads,
“Tank is solid and would be good to restore. The inside is rusty but feels solid. We did not test it."
Refurbishing something like this could be easier than fixing your damaged tank.
and it is cheaper than I had expected. There must be a heap more available n the States.

Attachments

• 77 Fuel tank.pdf
    786.9 KB · Views: 146
Back